Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 AX@ 212 processor or board

Hello folks,
    I am working on a Line 6 AX2. It defaults automatically to 'Tuner' when you release any button you select. In that mode you basically get straight thru processing w/no digital effects. I've pretty much as best as can determine that issue is in the main processor U9 (Line6 #15-84-8031 PCB80C31BH-3 most likely wouldn't be programmed if you found a generic one).
    All the switching matrixing is functioning and the buttons are not shorted & have same resistance to ground on diode check as well as just straight resistance. I've also scoped the matrix to determine if the signals are being routed properly & they are to the best I can tell.
    I even just to be thorough measured every chip cap & electrolytic for shorts. Diodes all ok, too. Fortunately there is a limited amount of them on the entire board.
    When we did warranty for Line 6 way back in 2005 - 2012, they no longer had the board available for this model that was built in like 1997, so I'm doubting to get a board for it.

Has anyone had experience with this type of issue on this amp. I know this is a pretty remote chance but this is the best forum I've found and been a member of since about 2005.
    I haven't searched for the processor or contacted Line 6 as I'm pretty sure that would be a dead end if you can even contact them since they were bought out.
    Anyway, any ideas other than suggest the circular file.
    Thanx, Glen

Is this with the floorboard or no floorboard? I can't even remember if you can use the tuner without the floorboard.

Comment

On a product like this, you have limited choices.

Find an ex-employee who can program a generic part and has the hardware and software to do so. (check ebay)
      Find a used amp that can be used for parts. Perhaps with a damaged cabinet or blown power amp.
      Tear out all the programmable crap and build an analog amp to replace it.

Once factory support ends, there is very little that can be done.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Some good documentation here. http://www.synthmanuals.com/manuals/line_6/ax2_212/

A few points:
        As far as I can tell the Floorboard was an option.
        The Aux out should still function if Tuner is selected.
        The Tuner function is disabled when in Delay mode. It becomes Tap/ tempo.
        Tuner mode can be turned on by the floorboard. Is this pin being held down by a fault?
        How about a factory reset?

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          Some good documentation here. http://www.synthmanuals.com/manuals/line_6/ax2_212/

A few points:
          Tuner mode can be turned on by the floorboard. Is this pin being held down by a fault?
          Thanx for the response. It is without the floorboard. Doesn't matter what you select, in a half sec or so it will always revert back to the tuner/tap-tempo led being lit & the sound is either guitar input w/o any effects or aux. Have performed Factory reset. Input from floorboard RJ isn't discrete and no issues there. Have checked switching matrix & no issues to their destinations & get activity out of the IC taking the switch matrix input.
          I'm beginning to think it's a glitch in the processor. That's basically a guess as would be just about anything else.
          I'm servicing it for a customer. I guess I'll search to see if there is one (maybe just a chassis) for sale on ebay or craig's list. Chances pretty slim, tho. Very unlikely would be uneconomical after shipping & all. Hey, it's over 20yrs old & certainly not a 'collectable'. Thanx for response.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post

A few points:
            Thanx P. I think you're right on about what options there are with this thing. Just too much digital crap in it!

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
              Is this with the floorboard or no floorboard? I can't even remember if you can use the tuner without the floorboard.
              Yeah, well just realized that IC is a Digital Sound Processor...not likely it. Most likely some corruption in one of the two main processors. I'm not even sure Line6 would have replaced them even back then...pretty much done with this one! Thanx all..

Comment

I just gave one to goodwill a month or so ago or I would send you a working chassis.

Comment

This may be it.
                  U7 is most probably damaged.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 03-23-2021, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X