Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Space Echo sticks if I don't use it every day

Hi all,

I have an re-201, and if I don't run it every day, it will get stuck at one spot on the tape. I clean it consistently. I took it to a shop to tune it up a couple years ago, he replaced the motor bearing, and put int he echo fix motor rebuild kit. When I turn it on, it runs the tape, then sticks at that point, I just nudge the tape a bit with my finger, and it passes through. If I do that like 10 times it starts running fine, but sure is annoying since that happens every time a few days go by without usage. I have replaced the tape a couple times already with tape from echo fix. Thank you!

http://http://manuals.fdiskc.com/flat/Roland%20RE-101%20&%20RE-201%20Service%20Manual.pdf
    http://manuals.fdiskc.com/flat/Roland%20RE-101%20&%20RE-201%20Service%20Manual.pdf 1)
    Mehanical adjustment page 19 and 20

Clean the transport mechanism and pinch roller. Is it tape original or diy?
    Last edited by vintagekiki; 04-22-2021, 08:37 AM.
    It's All Over Now

Comment

Thanks, I will give this process a shot and report back. The replacement tape is from EchoFix, is that what you mean? Thank you.

Comment

When it stalls does the capstan keep turning or not?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You beat me to it. Does it stall the motor or does the motor keep turning the capstan but the tape won't pass? How hard is your old pinch roller? RUbber can be rejuvenated. But the tape splice can hang up if the roller is hard.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Of course now that I want it to, I can't get it to do it, because I used it for hours yesterday. I will have to wait to recreate the issue. I think that the capstan keeps turning, and the pinch roller seems to be in pretty good condition, not too hard. Also, it doesn't seem to stop at the splice, its just random spots in the tape. I won't be able to do any music stuff tomorrow, so hopefully Friday it will be in a funky mood again and I can confirm. Thank you and will keep you posted!

Comment

Next time it stalls, try pressing the pinch roller link to put a bit more pressure against the tape. If that makes it go, rejuve the roller, or replace it.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If stucks repeats you will have to replace the pinch roller.
                Due to age the rubber on it has lost elasticity and occasionally slips.
                It's All Over Now

Comment

Sorry for the d e l a y everyone. Its a real annoying thing to figure out since its intermittent, and I basically have to stop using it for a couple days before it starts doing it again, and I use it all the time on like everything. When I tracked the time it will reoccur at the same interval, about 30 seconds or so, so, does it make sense that it could be the tape splice messing with the pinch roller? I got some Rubber Renue, and hit it with that. Boy I tell you, use that stuff outside, it made my vision go a little blurry, I still feel a bit weird. Anyways, if anyone has used that stuff before, do you just wipe a bit on or should you like soak the pinch roller in it? Its running fine now after letting it evaporate, but that could just because its been running for a while and eventually starts to work fine. Would love to, however, figure out how to not have to wait for the space echo to get in the mood every time I take a little bit of a break. I have attached a video of the issue. Thanks a lot for your time!

Comment

Did you look? When it stops is the splice caught between capstan and pinch roller? It could just be a poorly done splice job. I've seen it before and, in fact, have one sitting in my shop right now that was fixed by cutting the tape and redoing the splice.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                      Did you look? When it stops is the splice between capstan and pinch roller? It could just be a poorly done splice job. I've seen it before and, in fact, have one sitting in my shop right now that was fixed by cutting the tape and redoing the splice.
                      Lol, it's a good question. Yes I swear I have sat and watched it before and I don't believe it was right at the roller which is what sent me down this path. The timing of it though makes it seem like it is the splice, could it cause an issue elsewhere that I can check?

Comment

What I did was: Wait for it to stop. Shut the unit off. Examine the tape and see where the splice is. If it stops at the same spot every time, or if you can determine that the splice is hanging up somewhere, you've found your problem. If it's more random, look elsewhere.

Comment

Even if you see/feel no splice, while you have stopped the tape, feel it with your fingers where it hits the capstan. DO you feel any bumps or wrinkles?

And while running, did you try my suggestion? It was to gently press the pinch roller harder against the capstan. The black plastic domes center doesn't spin, so get a fingernail against that so you don't touch the spinning part.

DO NOT SOAK your rubber in the solvent, it will blow up like a balloon. Just wipe it on, then wipe it off after a few moments.

Any similar hydrocarbon will work, even gasoline, though I'd suggest something less flammable. We used to use mineral spirits from the paint store when I serviced the rubber rings in pinball machines.

And just to verify, the capstan keeps turning, right?

When it is stopped, pull the pinch roller away from the capstan a little and spin the wheel, does it spin freely?

Comment

Yes. Good point. It doesn't have to be the splice. a good wrinkle can also cause problems. I had one of those recently, too- it was one of the cartridge units. The cartridge was new installed by customer. The tape had a bad kink in it. It could have been new that way or the customer kinked it when it was installed- not sure which, but a new cartridge solved the problem. It could have been cut and spliced, but the customer bought a spare so we just went with the 2nd new one.

The point is to just turn the unit off when it stops and inspect the tape path.

Comment

Alright, it doesn't seem to correlate with the tape splice. I tried Enzo's suggestion, just slight pressure on the pinch roller link causes it to advance no problem. I'm wondering again if anybody has any success with rubber renu? I don't want to pay $80 for a pinch roller, I don't even like the way the green ones look lol. But I will replace if I have to.

Comment

Working...
                              X