X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toneport ux2, how to open

HappyAtticus

Today, 09:07 AM
    Hello all. I hope this is not in poor form but does anyone know how to get into the ux2? I've taken the knobs off (sigh) and I see four small screws on mic inputs but I'm imagining there is something I am missing.
    I have crackling in the headphone knob BTW.
    Many thanks
    A moron.

The unit cannot come apart from the front.
    It is highly unlikely that the case is molded in one piece.
    Look on the bottom of the unit for screws.
    The case should be able to be split in half.
    Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 09-09-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I can;t see the bottom from her, but common "tricks" in the industry might be screws under the rubber feet.. Also sometimes there is a sticker/label with the serial number, and it is glued over a screw.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Well, I checked for screws on the bottom of the unit before posting on here, then took your advice and peeled off stickers, then took off one of the rubber feet. Nothing! I'm fairly sure it is not a sealed unit as the sides are a bit of a tell... But it is a mystery and a frustrating one at that, I have had this thing for about twelve years and recorded hundreds of songs and compositions using it and dust in the pot seems the likely diagnosis but I can't get into it.
        Thanks for the tips anyhow, I appreciate your time and responses.
        Atticus.

Comment

Ultrasonic plastic welding. We would put wall warts in a vise, crack them open to get inside.

Comment

FWIW: I have, at times, been able to remove the knob, spray cleaner down the side of the knob shaft and get it into the potentiometer. Use gravity, turn the knob back and forth a few times, and that's all you need to do. It doesn't always work, but worth a try. It saves taking the whole unit apart to clean a pot.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

"there is a three part interlock involving the red faceplate and the perimeter depth ring ( perimeter of face ) and the top and bottom. once all the nuts come off the jacks, certain washers have protruding tabs that mysteriously lock the top and bottom together"

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...2750#msg872750
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                FWIW: I have, at times, been able to remove the knob, spray cleaner down the side of the knob shaft and get it into the potentiometer. Use gravity, turn the knob back and forth a few times, and that's all you need to do. It doesn't always work, but worth a try. It saves taking the whole unit apart to clean a pot.
                I'm going to give this a go in the morning, it's a great idea and means I won't have to end up with a handful of bits that terrify me, many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                  "there is a three part interlock involving the red faceplate and the perimeter depth ring ( perimeter of face ) and the top and bottom. once all the nuts come off the jacks, certain washers have protruding tabs that mysteriously lock the top and bottom together"

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...2750#msg872750
                  This will be my second option, I was wondering about the nuts around the mic and guitar inputs. Thank you for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                    Ultrasonic plastic welding. We would put wall warts in a vise, crack them open to get inside.
                    This will be option three, I'm good at breaking things. Thank you.

Comment

i found this on line 6 site
                      nosaj

Hi folks,
                      I have a UX2 which has a flaky line out, and instead of trying to send it in for repair (I'm sure it's far out of warranty and would cost a fortune), I'd rather just crack it open and replace the 1/4" jack myself. Thing is... I'd rather not literally *crack* it open. Anyone have any tips on how to (gently) open the case to get to the innards? I can't seem to find any obvious means to do so.
                      Thanks!
                      EDIT
                      After trying desperately to pry the thing open with a putty knife (ala mac mini), I finally figured it had to be held together by the nuts on the 1/4" jacks. I was right -- unscrew the nuts, remove the plastic pieces surrounding the jacks, and remove the four screws on the XLR connectors. That's it. I'm glad I didn't apply too much pressure trying to pry it open!
                      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

What an engineering marvel!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
                          i found this on line 6 site
                          nosaj

Hi folks,
                          I have a UX2 which has a flaky line out, and instead of trying to send it in for repair (I'm sure it's far out of warranty and would cost a fortune), I'd rather just crack it open and replace the 1/4" jack myself. Thing is... I'd rather not literally *crack* it open. Anyone have any tips on how to (gently) open the case to get to the innards? I can't seem to find any obvious means to do so.
                          Thanks!
                          EDIT
                          After trying desperately to pry the thing open with a putty knife (ala mac mini), I finally figured it had to be held together by the nuts on the 1/4" jacks. I was right -- unscrew the nuts, remove the plastic pieces surrounding the jacks, and remove the four screws on the XLR connectors. That's it. I'm glad I didn't apply too much pressure trying to pry it open!
                          Thanks matey!
                          Sadly I am a pleb on all matters with wires and such, so WD40 and hope will be my first try but you have the answer. This forum is wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                            Doode.
                            This worked perfectly, my ux2 is saved, no crackling or cutting out on the left side.
                            Thank you so much!
                            Atticus.

Comment

I'm glad it worked, and too late now, but for future reference, you should not use WD40 to clean potentiometers. You should use a product intended for that purpose like Deoxit or similar.
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                              X