Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

modeling amp switching glitches....can wireless cause this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modeling amp switching glitches....can wireless cause this?

No idea whether this could even be possible. But i have a fender GTX modeling combo and at times the footswitch will go off on a bender by going into tuner mode by itself, freezing etc. Thing is, i play it 95% of the time at home and play parties or jams with friends maybe 6 times a year. That seems to be the times it happens and most places are not bars/clubs where you would encounter lighting that might bug things. So the only thing playing at home and jamming with friends/parties don't have in common is my bass player uses wireless. So i as wondering if that could cause it. Not sure what the GTX switching system is but it has a ton of functions and the cable is 2 conductor, tip and ground. I think that may tell you what kind of switching it uses.

The cable to the pedal is simple because the pedal system is digital, so a data stream communicates between amp and pedal. I suppose anything is possible, but I cannot imagine a way for a wireless unit to affect it at all.

DO you use all the same cables when you are out and about? Same power source and distribution? (ie different power strips, or someone's old basement wiring) Some place might have ground and neutral inverted in the wiring. Most of the time you'd never know the difference.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It varies. No old buildings, dank basements, anything like that. Last time was just last weekend in a huge relatively new metal barn. Thing went wacky for a minute till i un/re plugged it.

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
        Thing went wacky for a minute till i un/re plugged it.
        The foot pedal or the amp? If it's the pedal/cable combo, might be humidity or a light corrosion on the connectors interfering with the serial comms. My guess.

I had a Vox modeling amp, bought used. When it was turned up loud enough, the vibrations of the cabinet could cause the top panel controls (encoders) to move enough to change the parameters, etc.. Annoying. That doesn't sound like what you're experiencing, but I thought I'd throw that out as well.
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post

The foot pedal or the amp? If it's the pedal/cable combo, might be humidity or a light corrosion on the connectors interfering with the serial comms. My guess.

I had a Vox modeling amp, bought used. When it was turned up loud enough, the vibrations of the cabinet could cause the top panel controls (encoders) to move enough to change the parameters, etc.. Annoying. That doesn't sound like what you're experiencing, but I thought I'd throw that out as well.
          Naaa, this is a common issue not only with mine buy others. I use the proper cable and always keep my connections clean with deoxit. This is a design issue but it;s obviously triggered by something that some are also experiencing and some aren't which along with the fact it happens a lot less at home leads me to believe it's an environment issue.

Comment

If 're-boot' always fixes it, I always suspect the AC line. Some times they don't use low dropout regulators and you might be using it in other areas that are a bit lower and right on the threshold. If so, you could get a crash even thought the AC line seems fairly steady.
            We used to use the variac to slowly drop the voltage and see what the threshold was for lock-ups or crashes.
            You can't dismiss the AC line as a possible cause til you are actually measuring it when the fault occurs.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              If 're-boot' always fixes it, I always suspect the AC line. Some times they don't use low dropout regulators and you might be using it in other areas that are a bit lower and right on the threshold. If so, you could get a crash even thought the AC line seems fairly steady.
              We used to use the variac to slowly drop the voltage and see what the threshold was for lock-ups or crashes.
              You can't dismiss the AC line as a possible cause til you are actually measuring it when the fault occurs.
              I'll try and check it next time it happens, tho the fact i can have it happen then not again the rest of the nite doesn't seem to speak to that unless it;s right on the edge maybe. I dunno. I'll check it tho next time it happens.

Comment

That is why he suggested using the variac, to simulate low line conditions as might happen at a gig or elsewhere.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If i had one i would.

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
                    If i had one i would.
                    You pay shipping and i'll send you one. Send Pm if interested.
                    nosaj
                    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post

You pay shipping and i'll send you one. Send Pm if interested.
                      nosaj
                      Oh wow ! appreciate the offer but i'm ok w/o one. I'm out of the amp tweaking game and this would be a one time use and not a big deal really. I just thought maybe someone knew what causes it so why not ask. But thanks for the offer, very kind.

Comment

If anyone else is lurking and wants to pay shipping i will send you one.

nosaj

addendum: It will go in a it fits it ships box about 16 or 17 dollars for shipping. Conus Canadian is international and much higher. This is and older GE variac that you mount on something
                        Last edited by nosaj; 11-04-2021, 01:14 AM.
                        soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                        X