No announcement yet.

Moog Opus 3 Multivibrator needs a kick start to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm. That's interesting. I just measured it and it takes almost a full mS to get to 6 volts. This is after a full recap. So I don't think its the reservoir cap, BUT I did replace the tantalum bypass caps for the regulators (C70-C73) with electrolytic's for some unknown reason. Maybe those bad boys are slowing the DC down too much and I need to get tantalum's back in there? I also bumped the reservoir cap up to 63V, but I wouldn't think that would make that much of a difference.

Comment

Did the fault exist before the re-cap?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Sort of. It did, but he could power cycle a couple times and it would turn on. Now I can not get it to turn on with out "jumping" it. I was a bit silly to recap without figuring out the issue first, but I was hoping the recap would fix it.

Comment

Ah if only hope could replace troubleshooting...
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I know, I know. It wasn't my finest moment.

Comment

So Ive tried getting the speed of the power supply down to 100uS but the fastest I can get it is around 700uS. I tried replacing the tantalums with low esr, the filter cap with low esr. Replaced the regulators. Bypassed the power switch. Im starting to run out of ideas.

Comment

If supply rise time is critical, C56 the decoupler at U15 is worth a try (if you haven't already replaced it).
                edit: sorry, I see the bypass cap was already covered in posts # 9 & 11
                Last edited by g1; 09-02-2022, 03:59 PM.
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

No other ideas unfortunately. Not trying to 'offload' you but there may be people more familiar with this unit at the moogmusic forum. There have been some specific opus 3 repair threads in the 'moog music general topics' section and there are some techs that are specializing in vintage moogs. It might be worth a try.

Comment

Working...
                  X