Speaker manufacturers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker manufacturers

I assume that there are only a handfull of guitar amp speaker manufacturers that produce their own speaker and may also private label speakers for other companies.

My guess is the following:
    Jensen
    JBL
    Celestion
    Eminence

What are some others? Thanks.

wgs warehouse guitar speakers

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

FYI: Depending on the JBL line, many of their speakers are now made in China.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Ted Weber Web site - Speaker Codes and Applications
        It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Mojotone speakers are made by Warehouse speakers- not that there's any problem with that.

https://wgsusa.com/
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Is Pyle still in business? I have 1 or 2 of their guitar speakers, white cone if i remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
              I assume that there are only a handfull of guitar amp speaker manufacturers that produce their own speaker and may also private label speakers for other companies.

My guess is the following:
              Jensen
              JBL
              Celestion
              Eminence

What are some others? Thanks.
              Add Fahey yo your list

Made in-house literally from scratch, as in stamping frames out of sheet metal, plates, turned pole pieces, own wound voice coils, own magnetizer, etc.

Side by side with a well known Classic:

Click image for larger version  Name:	729947235_5a0a641a7e_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.3 KB ID:	961958

Click image for larger version  Name:	parlante-fahey-12-120-watts-hay-para-guitarra-y-bajo-249111-MLA20479679693_112015-O.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.3 KB ID:	961959

4" high power cone tweeter:

Click image for larger version  Name:	877037d1600525789-help-fix-repurpose-speakers-cam00142-jpg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	446.3 KB ID:	961961

Click image for larger version  Name:	877038d1600525789-help-fix-repurpose-speakers-cam00143-jpg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	478.8 KB ID:	961962

In general anything from 1" dome tweeters to 18" woofers, with a few 30" electrodynamic subwoofers thrown in just to make it interesting.

Only precondition I must meet is to be certain to sell at least 100 of anything to make it worth, since the heavy part is metallurgical work: stamping - spot soldering - turning - zinc plating - etc. , all of which have minimum batch requirements.

Actually assembling speakers in various configurations is the "easy" part by comparison.
              Attached Files
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Electro-Voice. Mesa uses their Black Shadow 12" speakers....assuming these are OEM from EV, having the Black Shadow logo label fixed onto the large Ferrite magnet assy.

I subscribe to Voice Coil Magazine, who yearly produces a Loudspeaker Industry Source Book, listing all the companies around the planet who produce all things related to fabricating loud speakers, as well as testing, components for transducer fabrication, consultants, etc. I didn't get the latest source book, but do have an older one that I'll have to go scan on our copier, then can list that pdf. Now, most of the loud speakers are geared towards completed loudspeaker enclosures, but no doubt there will be some listed that also produce instrument speakers.

Any idea who makes (made) the Black Widow speakers for Peavey?
                Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

I never had a reason to doubt that Peavey made them for themselves. PV came up with Blue Marvel as the "brand" for any speaker NOT made by Peavey. Peavey made speakers were the Black Widow, Scorpion, Sheffield, maybe others.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I think the Peavey machinery was up for a sale a few years back.
                    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300069082.html

Comment

Can we add Tone Tubby and Scumback to the list of manufacturers? Or . . . horrors! . . . reveal their sources?

Mesa's Black Shadow from what I heard, was an Eminence frame with an EV cone. Some love 'em, some not so much. One of my customers replaced his perfectly good Black Shadow with another speaker then did a Mexican hat dance on it. Not a fan, I take it.
                      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Juan, your speaker manufacturing is really something to take pride in. The appearance, finish and construction are remarkable and I'm sure that I'm not the only one here to be humbled by your work.
                        Last edited by Mick Bailey; 06-10-2022, 04:13 PM. Reason: type

Comment

Thanks, itīs very kind of you
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

To add to the list, Fane still manufactures (or assembles) speakers here in the UK;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mtMhnaMDSU

Comment

Thanks for posting it.
                              Can vouch for authenticity, I make mine the exact same way, except using the jig for cone/coil/spider assembly *outside* the speaker frame.

Special thoughts for the fragile old Lady still making those voice coils, and reminds me of same kind and age female workers assembling Celestion speakers, back in the day, think 70īs or so.
                              Musicians half expect to see long hair tattooed Heavy Metal type youngsters working there, given the intended final use for those speakers ... not so by a Country mile.

Female workers are very very good at detailed precision assembly work, which can become incredibly boring when distilled into a couple basic operations only, repeated over and over hundreds of times a day, every day for years.

When at University, we were required to do 4-6 month internships at various Factories, which I find an excellent idea on many levels; specially remember working at a Philco Ford car radio plant near Buenos Aires, 60 girls assembling them, all by hand, including soldering, no CNC pick and place machines yet, no wave soldering, just LONG tables, 105W fluorescents suspended above, girls side by side populating and soldering boards.

They were focused and working well, at the same time chatting incessantly, noise was deafening

For those 60 girls, guy complement was 3 of us, nerdy guys, in an adjacent room doing all the calibration, testing, and specially troubleshooting.
                              Different skill sets, each one valid in its area, all equally needed.
                              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X