Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identifying this component / labeling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    I agree with the others- it's probably a diode. But why guess? Check it with your DVM and find out.
    You're right. I've did that in the meantime. And it is a diode indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
      looks like a diode, probably from the same manufacturer ("Origin Denki"(Origin Electronics)) as in this auction
      ink (there is a little blurb about a color code but no explanation for it) :

https://aucfree.com/items/b416186682

if you're trying to ID something, maybe stare at the circuit, and see what makes sense? On freestompboxes forum (IIRC) there was a discussion
      over how to read the color codes on some axial ceramic caps, and someone was suggesting to use some old color code chart for caps which
      didn't make sense for the circuit, but since I had a bit of experience (from looking at similar types in a Sansamp) in a way that made more sense
      for the circuit (sort of like resistors, where from one end YEL-PUR-ORG = 473(plus voltage and tolerance bands?) = 0.047uF(47nF)). Those (plus
      some metal film resistors) can be confusing to read though on deciding which end to start reading from (and if you don't know what the circuit is).

Also, (I'm vaguely remembering) that I may have some NOS in a similar package which which I bought long ago to use in a Shin-ei Octave Box
      clone (they might also have used them in Univibe IIRC) which maybe sparked my memory.
      That link doesn't seem to work for me...

Comment

Originally posted by tubby View Post

But aren't other components the same or even more affected by thermal stress during manufacture and should thus show coiled leads as well? I'm thinking eg lytic and PiO caps, which I've both seen used in guyatone stuff. I always thought a ss diode as thermally and structurally rather inert compared to other components.
        All semiconductor devices are temperature sensitive and are easily destroyed when they get hotter than 150°C to 200°C (considerably less for Germanium)
        The smaller the chip inside, the hotter it gets during soldering.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I suppose it's also possible that the part was replaced during repair long ago, and the tech coiled the leads for whatever reason. It could have even been a warranty 'update' if they were having issues with failure of this particular part.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by tubby View Post

That link doesn't seem to work for me...
            That's just a link that shows prices for winning bids on auction sites (that has pictures of similar diodes), so wouldn't seem harmful enough to bother blocking. Try an online proxy? Or maybe put the address in Google and look at the Google cached version of the site.

Can you see this image (of Origin SM-150-06 diodes)?

re: the unusual lead forming, I vaguely recall somebody doing that to (all or many) parts in a DIY Hi-Fi amp in MJ magazine (= Musen to Jikken = Radio and Experiments) long ago (had some interesting stuff and was good for sourcing parts (ads) but over time guess it started to feel a bit too audiophooley). I suppose it might have looked neat to me (at the time), but seems a bit weird unless you specifically needed a very tiny amount of inductance or something. Here (as mentioned above) maybe something to do with heat (just totally guessing)? Turn on surge?

Little tidbit of info here:

https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.j...l/q13261637288

(According to some guy's recollection) the green dot diodes had the highest PIV(reverse voltage) in the series (1000V according to his memory) and (for the diodes shaped as those) forward current was 100mA. And (he adds as an aside), round shaped ones (assumedly from the same manf.--I might have one somewhere because I can picture one like that in my head) were rated 500mA.​

Comment

Working...
            X