General Question about European power and polarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post

It would still be interesting to know if the power conditioner neutral fault light turns on when the power conditioner is connected in other buildings.
    I would expect a neutral fault to be present because there are two hots and no neutral.

Comment

Line/neutral fault detection is monitored by checking for a voltage difference greater than a couple of volts between ground and "neutral". As there is no neutral in this case, that fault light being lit is to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Robinson View Post
        Line/neutral fault detection is monitored by checking for a voltage difference greater than a couple of volts between ground and "neutral". As there is no neutral in this case, that fault light being lit is to be expected.
        I'm sure you are correct, but the wording in the manual will lead the layperson to call an electrician, perhaps wasting money on an unneeded service call.
        The manufacturer may want to re-word this section:
        Wiring Fault: This indicates the LINE and NEUTRAL wires in the source are reversed. Unplug the unit immediately and consult an electrician to fix the fault.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post

I'm sure you are correct, but the wording in the manual will lead the layperson to call an electrician, perhaps wasting money on an unneeded service call.
          The manufacturer may want to re-word this section:
          Exactly what I am thinking... in fact, I messaged Thomann, the reseller (sort of like the Sweetwater of Europe) the same day that I posted a message here on the forum. I asked them if this was the intended behavior because I knew from previous readings that my power was something like 138-0-138... and while I didn't (or still quite) understand all of the details that this encompasses, I had thought that it isn't so cut and dry as "works" or "doesn't work"..

Since then, they have only replied to me twice to say they are forwarding it to this guy, then forwarding it to that guy. It's a little disappointing that they do not even know about the stuff they are selling and how it would behave in the various territories they sell to...

And I had actually prepared an email for Black Lion Audio on day one, but I had even less faith in that then I did in messaging Thomann... probably unfair of me to assume they would tell me to call an electrician in, but that is what I expected. And when I wondered where I could get to the "bottom of it" - well, that brought me here of course ;-)

"'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

I thought I'd throw an update here.... I've been using the conditioner and it works perfectly fine with the "fault light" dimly light. It's actually an interesting unit, it soft starts some of the outlets for high current items.

Thomann never replied to me with anything but a return label and not sure if I mentioned, I did reach out to BLA a few weeks ago, and they only replied with a question about how it responds when I re-orient the plug, though I described to them that it acts exactly the same regardless of the plug orientation in my original message.

Arms up in the air. It works great and neither Thomann or BLA seems to be quite sure of what they are selling and how it should act in the targeted sales areas. Thought someone may get a chuckle from that... I did.

But this is a final Thank You message - happy holidays, and be safe!!
            "'He who first proclaims to have golden ears is the only one in the argument who can truly have golden ears.' The opponent, therefore, must, by the rules, have tin ears, since there can only be one golden-eared person per argument." - Randall Aiken

Comment

Working...
            X