Thermal switch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daz View Post
    I bought a new one. I guess ya just have to buy a new one every year, as that's been the case almost always...
    My recent coffee makers have lasted about 10 years each. Maybe it because I turn them off shortly after the brewing is done and then re-heat subsequent cups of coffee in the microwave. The failures were always the thermal fuses and by the time I bought a new one and paid for the shipping it was about equal to the cost of a new coffee maker.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      when they break, I can't wait. It needs to be replaced immediately!
      Dude, you got to have a standby unit! I keep one of those repaired units around just for that reason.

Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I normally do have one on standby. As it happens, I'm using my "standby" right now. It has a bypassed power switch that went bad from arcing. You just have to unplug it to shut it off, which I normally do anyway. I don't leave coffee makers plugged in ever since I read that most house fires are caused by small appliances like coffee makers- just don't trust power switches that switch that much current. Coffee makers draw 5-10 amps and my experience is that the power switches they use are crap. I don't risk it arcing and sticking in the on position. Maybe the OCD in me, but unplugging them after use makes me feel safer.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          Dude, you got to have a standby unit!...
          My standby coffee process is to heat water over a gas burner and pour it over the coffee grounds. Last used during an electrical power outage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
            My standby coffee process is to heat water over a gas burner and pour it over the coffee grounds. Last used during an electrical power outage.
            That works too. The only bad coffee is no coffee!
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              ...The only bad coffee is no coffee!
              You got that right.
              On January 17, 1994, a magnitude 6​. 7 earthquake centered in Northridge struck the southern California area.​ I lived about 85 miles up the coast at that time. The earthquake knocked out ALL the power to our area and people were going crazy because most could not make coffee or buy coffee from any of the usual sources. We could not buy gasoline either because the stations had no power to run the pumps.. It was an interesting experience.

Comment

In a pinch, you could always do iced coffee. Don't want to make this a commercial, but I rather like the "Blarbucks" Triple Shots available in most C-stores. Definitely not as cheap as just making your own coffee.

Comment

people were going crazy because most could not make coffee or buy coffee from any of the usual sources.
                  I also keep on hand what I call 'astronaut coffee', which is chocolate covered espresso beans.
                  Belt and suspenders and all that.

Comment

There's always this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1000_F_256011980_T9xUTiARPdyOcpWsVW9GQfkZyuhU7qhR.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	991836

Comment

When i ordered a new coffee maker off ebay i neglected to see it would take a few weeks to get it. I figured i could use mine bypassed til then and just turn it off as soon as the coffee was done. Well, today it happened. It again stopped working so with one fuse left of the 2 fuses ad one thermal switch, i bypassed that last one and it started working. Worried tht it could go up in flames i kept and eye on it but now often enough. I went t check one it at one point and saw the dreaded orange glow coming from the bottom. I unplugged it and threw it in the sink. The metal pipe that coffee flows through melted ! There was liquid metal on the countertop ! luckily the counter is marble so no damage, otherwise i would have done it. I asked the buyer to cancel otherwise i won't have coffee for 2 weeks. What a effing nightmare.
                      EDIT: looks like it DID damage the counter. Hard to see because of the grain pattern of th4 marble but i felt it. maybe some JB weld will blend it. F....
                      Last edited by daz; 01-08-2024, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Daz,

I don't know where you are located but, in my area, I can buy a coffee maker for a good price at such places as Target, Walmart etc. Are such stores available to you?

Another option is to use the basket and carafe from your damaged unit unplugged from power and slowly pour heated water manually over the coffee grounds. That will buy you the time to get a new coffee maker.

Cheers,
                        Tom

Comment

Daz,

Another option is to use the basket and carafe from your damaged unit unplugged from power and slowly pour heated water manually over the coffee grounds. That will buy you the time to get a new coffee maker.

Cheers,
                          Tom
                          thats what i did today and the first day it stopped working. PITA tho, and i gotta do that for 2 more weeks. Ebay said its too late to cancel so gonna have to deal with the pour system.

Comment

The thing is that when you buy one coffee maker you should buy two. Throw one in the closet for the dreaded failure that is inevitable. I kept having coffee machines quack out on me so now we have a one cup pod machine. However now that I have coffee options neither one has failed yet.
                            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Yeah I had to go look at the one I got. Quisinart 14 cup unit and it has lasted 3 years so far. Although I have to say my coffee drinking has been reduced since June of this year. Too much weird anxiety lately and coffee doesn’t help with that at all. I drank so much coffee over the years that it might be a good thing now.

Here is the model coffee maker that I have now. Just saying it’s worth buying.
                              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Working...
                              X