Cheap but good soldering station?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap but good soldering station?

I had a hakko years ago that lasted me 20 years and was great. I think it was one of those 936 models or similar. I woulda bought another had they not been discontinued. Then i got a 888D and this thing has been a POS compared to the 936. Doesn't even melt solder w/o holding it to the lead for a week anymore and i haven't had it 1/2 the time i had the 936. Will NEVER buy a weller so lets not go there, i have my reasons. I am NOT gonna spend much because if it turns out i don't like it i wasted my $. The question is, there are lots of cheap 936 clones and i have heard both horror stories and glowing reviews. Does anyone know of a 936 clone thats good and reliable, and if not what other budget stations, preferably NOT digital (but if i must go digi so be it) do you know of that are good?

Aoyoue 936+ Mine is still going after 11 years and 1 element.
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I got a cheap Yihua off Amazon a couple years ago, soldering and hot air combo, for about $80. I am not a daily user, but I have had no complaints with it.

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
        Aoyoue 936+ Mine is still going after 11 years and 1 element.
        Ahhh, yes. I remember those when i was looking to replace my 888. I should have got that instead but i just didn't have the confidence. I may grab one if they are still around, but the question is, are they still around and if so are they gonna be the same as yours was 11 years ago?

Comment

Yea they're still available. but I had the model wrong i have a 937+
          nosaj

https://www.google.com/search?q=Aoyu...nt=products-cc

Comment

Also if you have problems tinning the tip this stuff helps out a lot.
            https://www.google.com/search?q=tip+...55934931460427

Comment

Also if you have problems tinning the tip this stuff helps out a lot.
              https://www.google.com/search?q=tip+...55934931460427
              eah, i have a can of flux. Thats not the issue with my 888D. It's just a POS and i hate not having a temp knob like the 936 did. Think i will get the 937+ but it's only 35w. Any issues flowing solder on larger pieces of metal? I mean, i understand a pencil can only do so much but any more issues in that regard than a good station like my old 936? I just hope they aren't cloning clones now ! I wouldn't be surprised if there are aoyue 937+ clones.

Comment

That's not flux it's tip tinner. If your tip won't tin right, nothing will work well, no matter what iron, flux, etc.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ahhh, ok. Never used that i'll get some. Might not help my 888 tho, as the tip is only a few weeks old.

Comment

No such thing as a cheap but good soldering station. 2 Wellers here and always will be.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                      No such thing as a cheap but good soldering station. 2 Wellers here and always will be.
                      Like i said, i had a hakko 936 that lasted probably 20 years and it never actually gave up. I left it somewhere and didn't get it back. And it worked perfect. I think it was around $40 at the time. So i guess it depends on what your idea of good is. Mine is 1-flows solder well like it's main job is supposed to be, 2-lasts a long time, 3- heats up fast. It did all those things great. Heated up about twice as fast as my 888D. Plus it has a knob for temp and chisel tips lasted till they were down to a needle point. I'm not sure what more you want but that's all i do. If the tip tinner works to get mine (even with a tip thats only a few weeks old) working well again i'd still like one that can match my old 936 in all respects, especially the quick heat up. (under 20 seconds on my 936)
                      By the way, i had wellers before and they were unreliable and cost a freakin fortune plus a fortune for parts to get them going again. Never again. Glad yours are good but once bitten twice shy, and i was bitten more then once. This was many years ago so maybe now they are better but i'm not mortgaging my house to find out. Also, I'm big on principle's so i tend to boycott any co that's F'd me over one way or another even if it's to my detriment.​

Comment

Yea they're still available. but I had the model wrong i have a 937+
                        nosaj

https://www.google.com/search?q=Aoyu...nt=products-cc
                        What about this one? It's cheaper but has a temp knob instead of digital buttons which i hate. Same model # except for the D in it, 937D+. But i am seeing a few different ones that all say 937+ (some have knob, some don't) so i dunno if some are copies or older models or what. Can u post a pic of the one u have?

EDIT: just noticed some have the model# but don't show a brand. So i guess those are clones. I wish the aoyue had a knob. This sh*t gets confusing !
                        Last edited by daz; 11-20-2022, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Not quite a station but trusted one for tube amps hardware - Weller W61 (wall line Magnastat controled)
                          Last edited by catalin gramada; 11-21-2022, 05:39 AM.
                          "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

I'd look at Pace. I know they're expensive, but you can find used stations on eBay at reasonable prices. I've had my solder/desolder station for 30+ years and still going strong. Worth every nickel.
                            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

FWIW, there are fake Hakkos (there are also mentions of fakes on Hakko's website) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvOJL8aAUO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itQHbc4t668

Apparently "made in Japan" solder is faked as well, plus I've seen pics of tins of soldering paste with faux Japanese writing on them.

Be careful out there!

Comment

Working...
                              X