I made a dumb mistake this morning. Might have ruined a tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made a dumb mistake this morning. Might have ruined a tool

While I come to grips with the realization that all the sources I was counting on to supply custom and blank chassis no longer exist, I decided to gut a previous build down to the transformers and mains connection (even though it already has more holes in it than a fly swatter). I hate that I couldn't start from scratch, but honestly, now that I've torn out years of failure from that chassis, I feel fantastic.
    Plus, the success of Cherry Bomb nuvistor project has set me free. Anyways! -- Back to the story at hand.....

I'm using almost no part of the old layout beyond the mounting locations for the front and back panel controls, so I marked up and drilled pilot holes where the preamp tubes are going. I have a greenlee knockout punch that is great for noval sockets. Standard hand type punch with the Ball bearing nut, bushing, die, and punch. Easy. What could go wrong?
    So I put the bushing through the guide hole and ball bearing flush with the chassis and screw down the punch, and start cranking.
    But, it's weird this time. I mean the material is aluminum, but I've used it for pretty thick panel steel and it's never given me this kind of resistance. Even using an extension bar for torque, it's like, "this is weird, it should not be this hard. Something is wrong". Which, it turns out, something was wrong. Anyone guess what I did yet?
    Dude, even more embarrassing than making this mistake (which was a first), was how long it took me to realize what I had done. If you hadn't guessed yet, I forgot to include the die and was cranking the punch through the 1/8th inch layer of aluminum into the ball bearing. Ugh, that blows. The bearing will never be the same, unfortunately. I'm going to have to replace the bushing/ball bearing.
    I guess the silver lining is that I stopped and unscrewed it when I did, instead of leaning the amp up against the wall and using my legs on that ratchet to finally get that muther f*'er through the chassis. Because that was probably my next move.
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

I've already replaced the BB on my IEC hole punch and I never even did that. They wear out and sometimes are not good quality to begin with.

Measure and and look for one on McMaster-Carr.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
      I guess the silver lining is that I stopped and unscrewed it when I did, instead of leaning the amp up against the wall and using my legs on that ratchet to finally get that muther f*'er through the chassis. Because that was probably my next move.
      That reminds me of this pro tip: never put an extension on the handle of a vice so you can get more leverage.

Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        That reminds me of this pro tip: never put an extension on the handle of a vice so you can get more leverage.
        Indeed! If your pulling with your arms and have your foot up braced against the work (as described above, lol) there's a possible "hold my beer" moment at hand I've done it more than once... This week.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

It really gets to me when I damage a tool, whatever the reason. I then contemplate my mistake and there's nearly always a point where there was some sign that I ignored or dismissed and it really bugs me that I didn't stop and evaluate what was happening. I've got a superb, heavy-duty and top-quality brake flaring tool where I made a mistake with the die set it uses and damaged one. I felt an unusual resistance, but turned the handle anyhow. That moment cost me the precision of that particular die and it's no longer available.

Comment

Working...
          X