Any valuable info on Lane Poor MM pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
    I agree. I hear that I want to have less upper mids. They make it a tad harsh.

I tried it in a band situation last night, and it sounded a lot smoother through an amp.

But I know what I want to do next to warm them up. This was the first prototype, so I'm happy they actually work!

I'll tweak them now.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Yeah, the upper mids tend to be loud.
    As for prototype not bad at all, in fact pretty good. Just I would like more tight/defined sound from hb. Maybe if the sensing spots have more distance between?

Comment

• Originally posted by belwar View Post
      Resonance peak on the MM5 is 8.29khz.

Just sayin.

bel.
      Mmm... good to know.
      Thanks!
      Are you going to tear MM5 apart too?

Comment

• Originally posted by ModulusMK View Post
        Yeah, the upper mids tend to be loud.
        As for prototype not bad at all, in fact pretty good. Just I would like more tight/defined sound from hb. Maybe if the sensing spots have more distance between?
        This has one rail, like a single coil.

For comparison, this is my standard bridge humbucker. This was on the same bass, but with old Dunlop strings:

Humbucker

Now the prototype on the same bass with the same settings and strings. I just swapped pickups:

Sidewinder

The neck pickups that you hear later in the clips are humbuckers.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          This has one rail, like a single coil.

For comparison, this is my standard bridge humbucker. This was on the same bass, but with old Dunlop strings:

Humbucker

Now the prototype on the same bass with the same settings and strings. I just swapped pickups:

Sidewinder

The neck pickups that you hear later in the clips are humbuckers.
          Sidewinder is way more open and brighter. It has life in it
          I hope you'll tweak it hi-fi
          What is rail in pickup?
          David, do you use something while winding the coil to hold the turns in place or just after winding it completely you pot it or something?
          Last edited by ModulusMK; 10-15-2009, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Sidewinder is way more open and brighter. It has life in it
            I hope you'll tweak it hi-fi
            I want to smooth out the upper mids a little. It's a bit peaky.

What is rail in pickup?
            The pole piece... a bar, blade, rail, etc.

David, do you use something while winding the coil to hold the turns in place or just after winding it completely you pot it or something?
            It has a bobbin. They are "air coils" because they don't have metal cores, they have air cores. But they do have bobbins.

It isn't potted at all yet. I used it at rehearsal last night and it howled like a wolf if I turned the volume on the bass all the way up!
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

• I made a few changes to the bridge pickup, and made a neck pickup that uses 40 AWG wire and ceramic magnets.

New Sidewinders test

I have more things to try.

Comment

• Cuewl! That's a sound Phil Leash would be proud of. What sort of DCR are you getting with the 40awg?

Comment

• Originally posted by David King View Post
                  Cuewl! That's a sound Phil Leash would be proud of.
                  I've always liked his tone, though I'm not a big Dead fan. Especially back when he used flats. It was very bouncy.

What sort of DCR are you getting with the 40awg?
                  It's about 5K in series.

It feels really weird winding with that stuff.

It's fun trying new and strange ideas. lol

Comment

• Hey Dave - remember this?

http://home.comcast.net/~ajawamnet/mce/mainblk.jpg

Comment

• again for dave -

http://home.comcast.net/~ajawamnet/mce/pages.pdf

Love the reactions you got from the various vendors...

Comment

• AHHHHRRRGGG!
                        I do remember that, mmm the heady years of global, open source, bass decadence... What's the date on that thing? 2002?
                        Well since Wayne is here, perhaps he can give us a few clues?
                        Multifilar windings?
                        Ceramic magnet sources?
                        Great to have you here and I hope you can stay a while. It's geekoramaville. You'll like it.

Oh and aren't you worried about harvesting a bunch of junk mail using your addy as your login name?

Comment

Maybe the response line is flat but to our ears I think the highs have to be more pronounced and reverse for mids to sound flat IMO. That way and plus the addition of ceramic would make them warmer. Again IMO
                          OK, how's this one. I do have the mids boosted slightly on the mixer... just because it sounds good to me that way.

SGD Sidewinder Test 2 (10-24-09)

These are both ceramic now. Starts with bridge, both, neck, and then with the tone control off.

I'm starting to like the bridge tone now. It has more low end and is a bit smoother.

Comment

Working...
                          X