Bogen J15 PA info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogen J15 PA info needed

I recently acquired a 50's era Bogen model J15 (Series E55) PA that I would like to convert to a guitar head. I have not been able to find any info on this model? Anybody else here have a clue about this? It was a free unit (was going to be thrown away before I stumbled on it), so I have a little budget to work with. I'm going to try to keep it close to original, but I'm not completely opposed to a complete gut and build. Unit has 1 phono input (RCA jack) and 2 MIC inputs (old screw-on connectors) with some very odd speaker out jacks. If anybody has a schematic, I would really appreciate it.

Sorry if this was posted in wrong section....anyway, further info. Visual details are:
    1 - 5Y3GT rectifier
    1 - 6SL7GT twin triode, mu=70
    3 - 6SF5 single triode, mu=100 (metal envelope)
    2 - 6L6G large bottle power output pentodes
    2 - round transformer sockets, empty with jumper wire between 2 sockets
    2 - multi-cap cans
    Input and output transformer look to be very beefy. No burnt smell anywhere. Lots of wax-coated caps underneath...probably full cap-job. Input controls are Mic1, Mic2, Phone, Bass, Treble (with power switch on Treble).

I'm guessing 6SF5 for each input, 6SL7GT for PI, 6L6G as PP output. This unit is listed as a Bogen J-15 (which I think would indicate 15W), but those 2 6L6G tubes would seem more appropriate for 30W. Does this sound about right?
    Last edited by Zipslack; 03-05-2010, 07:03 PM.

The transformer sockets might be for low Z mics, if they are 9 pin that's probably what they are and you don't need them for guitar. The 15 should be the power as you expected. Are the speaker jacks round with 3 pins? See attached photo
    Attached Files

Comment

Output jacks

Actually, the output jacks are a strange configuration -- round connectors, almost look like tube sockets (I don't have the unit in front of me at the moment -- let's call it somewhere between 5 and 8 pins). And I mis-spoke about the Mic inputs - they are 3-prong XLR-style inputs (the screw-on connector is on the mic end -- did I mention I also have the original short-stand mic that went with it?) I figured the non-existent transformers would be a good thing. It does have the standard screw-terminal impedance selector on the rear, but 2 separate speaker connectors as I mentioned above. I guess I need to break down and trace out a schematic so I can start ripping and replacing.

Comment

I would replace the speaker jacks with 1/4" The wire that is movable on the impedance selector would go to the tip, and com with the jumper to ground goes to the sleeve.

Comment

Working...
        X