No announcement yet.

Copper Foil Tape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last 3 gtar shielding cavity jobs I've done ,I've used Aluminum foil & only used a small piece of copper tape to solder the grounds to & stick the copper foil & grounds to the Aluminum tape .
    Then I've check for continuity & it was all grounded . it really cut down on noise compared to that crappy shielding paint & as very economical as you can buy the aluminum foil at any hardware store .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I'm primarily going to use it for other shielding purposes.
      I still want something I can solder too.
      I don't shield that many guitars.
      However I've seen some that were done with the thin adhesive copper foil, that looked great.
      I guess I need to change this thread to,"Why not to use Copper Foil Tape!"
      The intent of the thread was strictly, where is the best place to buy Copper Foil Tape.
      Not how to shield a Guitar!
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Damn it T! You're not listening! You have to use aluminum foil!!!
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          Damn it T! You're not listening! You have to use aluminum foil!!!
          I'm a bit hard headed like that sometimes!
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I know musicians wanting a guitar shielding with copper ,you may want to charge extra for copper .
            some just want the noise gone ,well aluminum will do this well .
            I had a supplier of copper foil on ebay a few years ago but I can't find it anymore ....
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Yep. I looked into construction materials and found the prices MUCH higher than they use to be. The stained glass shops use to carry the foil in thin tape as well as sheets and would usually give a guy a break. But this was "in the before time" when dinosaurs like me didn't have on line resources. The playing field is a lot more level now. And to make it worse, all the little specialty shops have disappeared Then again, so have all the electronics stores that sold components. When I started in this game I could still buy National brand tubes at a local store! Granted they were in the warehouse and not on the floor. I had to ask them if they had any tubes because I knew that store had been in operation since that era. The clerk took me in the back, asked an older superior a few questions and then walked over to a shelf and took down a few boxes. He blew off the dust and we looked through them. I wish I had bought everything they had right then and there. Once internet commerce started taking off the store closed inside of a year without a word and shipped all their inventory to "who knows where".

I looked around. I think T has already found the best deal available.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Looking for some economical sources to buy Copper foil shielding tape.
                STEWMAC.COM - Shielding

HTH,
                Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                Milano, Italy

Comment

Going to buy a big roll of 3 inch copper foil tape.
                  I just haven't done it yet.
                  It's on my to do list early next year.
                  Along with ordering parts for making the multi-coil bass (wal type) Pickups.
                  along with ordering some more pickup cable with w/b/r/g color code from WD Biz.
                  Also a large roll of 43, & 44 SP wire from Remington wire.
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 12-25-2014, 12:46 PM.
                  Terry

Comment

I get mine from this guy on eBay (UK based).

It's quality and cheaper then getting it shipped down under from the USA

Comment

I just ordered a 55yd roll of the 3 inch x 1 mil x 55yd conductive adhesive copper foil tape!
                      http://www.amazon.com/inch-yds-Coppe...Y9HWZNXRFQYC3G
                      It comes with free shipping!
                      I should have enough copper foil to shield the world.
                      I bought the 3 inch because it will be easier to totally shield a soapbar type pickup.
                      It will be easier to cover a pickguard with the wider tape.
                      This tape has the conductive adhesive, so it should be easy to use.
                      I will keep you posted if I like the tape, and if I made the right decision or not!
                      Next, I'm going to persue ordering some 43, & 44 gauge wire that I mentioned in a previous post.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

I'd be interested in the effectiveness of the conductive adhesive. I might be inclined to put a solder tab on seams anyhow just in case age affects the adhesives relative goodness in this property.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                          I'd be interested in the effectiveness of the conductive adhesive. I might be inclined to put a solder tab on seams anyhow just in case age affects the adhesives relative goodness in this property.
                          Oh S__t, I meant to order the aluminum!
                          Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with the Copper!
                          10-4 on spot soldering the seams!
                          Terry

Comment

Tee;

Another alternative is to buy thin brass sheet. You can buy it as brass shim stock from industrial suppliers, or get little sheets at hobby shops. You can get it all the way down to 0.001" if you want, but that's pretty fragile to work with. 0.010" brass is a good thickness. You can snip it with scissors, bend it and fold it easily, and solder wires to it. Stick it to your pickups with double sided tape or glue. You can also get thin copper sheet, but it's several times the price of brass. Brass works fine for shielding.

Comment

I think this will suit my needs, with minimal work and fuss.
                              This 55yd roll should last longer than me.
                              Hopefully my shielding Quest and search is over!
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Do yourself a solid and keep it in a zip top bag with all the air squeezed out in a cool dry place. If you've ever seen what happens to tape adhesive after a year or two you know why. So if this roll is going to be around for potentially many years you'll need to abate that somehow.

Comment

Working...
                                X