Help Marshall vs65r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AL78 View Post
    I'm reading the manual but I'm not sure that's what you need.
    400mv
    4v
    40v
    400v
    750v
    Are those the AC ranges? If it has a 400mV AC range then it should be OK. Really cheap meters (I have one) just have a series diode for AC and will measure DC on the AC range. You can check by measuring a new 9V battery on the AC range. If it measures something like 20V with the red lead on the battery +ve and 0V with the meter leads reversed then the meter can only measure 'true' AC (current reversing every cycle) not 'AC' riding on a DC voltage (current not reversing)

Comment

• I think ee established his meter won't work here

AL78- I didn't expect you to interpret the meter drawing quite so literally. No cutting of probe leads is required So long as (1) the capacitor ends up in series with the meter - use clips, wire or whatever and (2) you cannot touch the side that will be probing the amp ( high voltage risk ) it will be fine.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

• I do as was described above and I use the free cap lead as a small probe. But for the less experience, I would ground my black probe to chassis then clip a wire to the red probe tip and to the cap, then use another clip wire from the other end of the cap. Now I use that second clip wire as my probe. That way I do not have to hold the cap in my fingers while touching potentially dangerous voltages.

My Fluke meters do not need this trick, but I still wind up doing it now and then when some situation arises. A cap is also a good way to block DC if you want to inject a signal from your generator into the signalpath at some point with DC voltage on it.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickb View Post
          I think ee established his meter won't work here
          Right, I wasn't sure what a 'drunk' reading was

Comment

• Ok guys thanks All as soon as I have the cap I'll tell you.Let's hope I don't explode like Etna this week :-D .Good weekend to everybody

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave H View Post
              Right, I wasn't sure what a 'drunk' reading was
              Lol Numbers flying around on the meter without sense 10 than 59 than 332 in the span of seconds

Comment

• While you wait, there are a couple more areas you check do that I just thought of.

You can do the signal generator / ACV measurement on either side of C43, and either end of VR4. Also take the PCB out and have a really good look at the V1 and clean tone control stack areas for bad joints.

Comment

• thanks where i can check easily vr4 or i have to check the vr 4 pot?

Comment

• VR4 is the clean treble pot. Take a look at the schematic to find connected points - go on it'll be fun and educational
                    Last edited by nickb; 03-04-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• c40 and c 41?

Comment

• Originally posted by AL78 View Post
                        c40 and c 41?

Comment

• c43 I'm giving 362mv I'get 20mv more or less both sides.
                          c41 16mv and 9mv c40

I have a question it's R19 the output of the tube?I don't know if we checked either ac or dc

I've checked with continuity test and a magnified glasses the board everything looks good
                          Last edited by AL78; 03-06-2017, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• That doesn't make sense. You apparently have a big signal on C43 but not on C40 and/or C41? That's not possible. Recheck where you are probing

IF we take the C43 measurement of 362mV and IC5 pin 2 at 7mV as correct from earlier, then there is an open circuit between C43 and IC5 pin 2. I would expect around 80mV on IC5 pin 2. Measure the DC resistance from IC5 pin 2 to ground and to the C43/R45 junction.

Comment

• Sorry maybe I didn't write right I giving 362mv to the input on the amplifier and I get 20mv on either side of c43

Comment

• So since there was some confusion I've redone the test for c43 I connect the pc with a 1000hz 362mv and I get more or less 20mv(as said before)either side
                                and I get 16mv for c41 and 9mv for c40.To do the second test (c40 c 41) I had to flip the board because those caps have no room to probe.If you think that the c40 c 41 test is not good Please tell a point where I can check again.I have continuity between Ic5 pin 2 and c43 and r 45.Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X