Mesa 2:90 woes _ tubes not coming on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So...

I managed to wire it all up again with the wires on the correct points. The amp powered up and the filaments bright again, played through but couldn't hear any signal at all out either side...

also after I switched the amp off - the step down transformer died - neither fuses from either the transformer or the plug blew so it's odd. Any ideas what the cause might have been?

​​I'm going to take a break now from the soldering and look at it again tomorrow probably

*edit*

sloppy fault checking on my part - it was the plug fuse in the transformer, I checked the wrong plug (whoops)

so hopefully the transformer is ok
    Last edited by Yovan; 07-19-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

Measure the AC voltage at your output tubes' filament. Maybe you ran one jumper to ground, the other to 6.3 VAC. That would result in 3.15 VAC, dim filaments, very low power.

The ring mod effect, I dunno. OK I s'pose, if you want to get those early jazz-rock-confusion tones from 45-50 years ago, Larry Coryell, John McLaughlin, Jeff Beck. Nah... I didn't think so.
      I fixed it finally! Thanks for your help - if you ever find yourself in Scotland Central belt then your beers for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Yovan View Post

I fixed it finally! Thanks for your help - if you ever find yourself in Scotland Central belt then your beers for free.
        Terrific news, perseverance paid off, thanks for letting me know you succeeded Yovan! Wow it sure would be a treat to visit Scotland no matter what - Grandpa was from Bannockburn. A couple quick visits I've had to Edinburgh & Glasgow weren't enough, just whetted my appetite for the ancestral land.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

Terrific news, perseverance paid off, thanks for letting me know you succeeded Yovan! Wow it sure would be a treat to visit Scotland no matter what - Grandpa was from Bannockburn. A couple quick visits I've had to Edinburgh & Glasgow weren't enough, just whetted my appetite for the ancestral land.
          Cheers it's really one of the first operations I've done on an amp so I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge - I live equidistant from the aforementioned cities so it's a sincere offer should you want to see some of the countryside, promise I won't ask you to fix any amps during your visit

Comment

Working...
          X