Peavey Classic 30 II 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, what now?

Attached and reconnected the new transformer. Fired it up and the EL 84 power tubes all light up- zero on the a 12ax7 preamp tubes. Pilot light lit. Of course no sound etc, no sparks or some either though..,,,

Had to drop it for the minute, any testing ideas for next step would be appreciated.

Comment

Zero what on the preamp tubes?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

The preamp tubes don’t light up.. Haven’t checked any voltages yet.
        Still haven’t found a schematic for this particular model.

Comment

Too bad you waited until Friday, now they are closed for the weekend. Call Peavey customer service monday morning and they will send it to you.

Assuming it is like the original for the most part, I'd be checking out the solder and jumper wires between board sections. And I think there are a couple cement resistors, one of which could eb open.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks, I’ve called and emailed Peavey at least 4 times over the past 2 weeks and left voice mails, no luck.

Comment

While waiting for the correct schematics you can take a gamble. Assuming the preamp filaments are series connected (fed with 36VDC for 12VDC per tube filament) like the previous version you could check for DC voltage between ground and pins 4 and 5 on the preamp tubes. If one tube filament is broken the supply chain is broken for all of the preamp tubes.

Comment

Thanks. There is a wire labeled chassis that connects under one corner of the output transformer? Good source for ground?

Minor progress, as suggested I touched up the solder points at the box resistors. Two have standoffs so I will need to pull the circuit board to get at them. On first startup I get dim lights on the preamp tubes and the sound of reverb. Progress. Tiny, really almost imperceptible sound of electric guitar. Volume knob, no change but volume increases the humm sizzle a bit. Treble knob seems to work, no boost or channel switch function.

tapped around with chopstick, nothing reacts but the reverb “reverbs” with every tap.

ill test the tubes when football is over.

thanks.

Comment

Well crap.

Seems one of the 12ax7 receptacles May have been bad (or loose) I swapped tubes in and out retouched a few of the solder tips and got the thing to play.

Put it all back together and turned it on and the pilot light was on for less than a second, back off. Main fuse not burnt. Guess something shorted, Hope not the transformer fuse (installed a brand new transformer.) outta figure out what shorted and why. Hope it’s one of the board fuses.

crap.

Comment

If it's like the original Classic 30 (not sure about the II), there are wire jumpers from board to board. Those are often problematic. They can break or their solder joints can crack loose simply from disassembly and reassembly. I'd give all of those a thorough check.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

On another forum somebody said this new version no longer uses the 'sandwich' 3 sided board box, so none of those jumpers. Sounds good to me!

I guess you checked that it wasn't just the light that went out, and there is no sound or power?
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks. Correct, the Chinese model II is basically one board with a couple of daughter cards. I was pretty ez withe the solder so don’t know if that is the problem, maybe got a wire stuck in the wrong place on reassembly?
                        (Left two more messages with Peavey asking for schematics.....nothing. Maybe a Chinese thing....
                        Get back into it tomorrow.....

And yes, dead, but no main fuse burn...

Comment

Did you check that the primary is still good on the new PT ?

Comment

Well guess what?

I went to put my tools away and make sure I turned everything off and when I flipped on my light and I didn’t light. Status light on my 4 way outlet not lit. Hmmmmm.

Plugged the 30 in the wall, fired right up. Sounds good even.

Thanks to all for the help and patience.

john

Comment

Did you ever get a schematic for this? I have one with a horrible farty sound. Not the speaker and voltages are good. There isn't an fx driver transistor in these like the first version.

If you could being that it's Friday in this customer needs this amp fixed I know PV won't respond until Monday, could you email this to me? I'll dm you my email.

Anyone else got it? Peavey doesn't huff and puff about their schematics so if someone wouldn't mind posting it I'd be very grateful!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by lowell View Post
                                Did you ever get a schematic for this? I have one with a horrible farty sound. Not the speaker and voltages are good. There isn't an fx driver transistor in these like the first version.

If you could being that it's Friday in this customer needs this amp fixed I know PV won't respond until Monday, could you email this to me? I'll dm you my email.

Anyone else got it? Peavey doesn't huff and puff about their schematics so if someone wouldn't mind posting it I'd be very grateful!

Thanks!
                                Couldn't you signal trace an check for the fartiness? Speaker, OT, PI, and so on.

nosaj
                                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X