This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL34 Grid Stopper resistor

What value resistor and what pins would be best to put a grid stopper resistor to try to stop oscillation on an EL34 ? Thanks.

Pin 5. Resistor must be right at the tube socket pin. anything from 1.5k to 4.7k should be sufficient.

Why do you think this is the trouble? Please give details about the problem you are having.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      Pin 5. Resistor must be right at the tube socket pin. anything from 1.5k to 4.7k should be sufficient.

Why do you think this is the trouble? Please give details about the problem you are having.
      Pin #5 only? I was thinking it would connect to 2 pins like a screen grid resistor?

Comment

Originally posted by ca7922303 View Post

Pin #5 only? I was thinking it would connect to 2 pins like a screen grid resistor?
        Neither the screen grid or control grid have any mandate on being connected to an unused pin on the socket. This is done by designers and manufacturers for convenience so that no component ends are floating on a solder joint at the end of a wire lead. With no information about the amp in question I cannot suggest any bridging pins on the socket because it may interfere with what exists now in the amp.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

A screen grid resistor only really connects to pin 4. Pin 6 on a 6L6 is not used, so the empty pin 6 on the socket becomes a handy place to solder something. The resistor is much more secure soldered at both ends than at just one.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Neither the screen grid or control grid have any mandate on being connected to an unused pin on the socket. This is done by designers and manufacturers for convenience so that no component ends are floating on a solder joint at the end of a wire lead. With no information about the amp in question I cannot suggest any bridging pins on the socket because it may interfere with what exists now in the amp.
            It's a Laney TT50H. Finally got it working and now it's oscillating, red plating and power loss

Comment

What kind of oscillating?
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Disconect the PI outputs to power tubes. It still osscilate? If Yes than check the OT wiring track (keep away ot primary wires from inputs wires, secondary common directly to output jacks and from those point to nfb retour) . 100 ohm screen grids close to the socket should be able to cure any . If osscilation stoped with PI disconected check then the PI stage. First wiring track, specially the wiring from OT to nfb injection point.
                "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Pin 5 already has a 4k7 grid stopper, why would you need another?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 07.57.07.png
Views:	552
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	954464
                  Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
                  If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    What kind of oscillating?
                    Only way I know to describe it is a high pitched squeal that increases as drive/volume and master volume are about on 10. It's accompanied by both tubes red plating and output loss of power.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Snell View Post
                      Pin 5 already has a 4k7 grid stopper, why would you need another?
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 07.57.07.png
Views:	552
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	954464
                      Here's a photo of V7/V8. I'm not seeing any resistors attached to pin #5?

Comment

Would 2-5w 4.7k resistors with one leg soldered to the green wire on one el34 and the blue wire on the other(both pin #5) work?

Comment

Aren’t the components under the black sleeving the grid stoppers?
                          I assume they connect to pin5?
                          If so, what’s the resistance between the green or blue wire and the respective socket terminal.
                          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

They're heat-shrinked.
                            Jack Briggs

sigpic
                            www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                              Aren’t the components under the black sleeving the grid stoppers?
                              I assume they connect to pin5?
                              If so, what’s the resistance between the green or blue wire and the respective socket terminal.
                              Your right, they both read 4.7k ohms.

Comment

Working...
                              X