Correct wiring 2 x 12 fender red knob twin in series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct wiring 2 x 12 fender red knob twin in series

I would probably need to change these ugly looking wires with better quality if i want my amp wired 16 ohms in series. Is this the correct wiring after setting the impedance selector to 16 ohms? If not please advise properly before i turn the amp on. Im heading to the chinese electronic shop to buy new wire and terminals. Speakers are 8 ohms each.
    Attached Files

Yes, that looks correct for series wiring.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Jajaja Pandora box with this used 1987 red knob twin. Scratchy pots, reverb sounding in both channels meaning reverb select switch not working. Where do we start? Just major cleaning of the pots with deoxit fader F5? What else do you guys think we should we check in this amp?
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes. Clean all pots, jacks, and switches. If pots are scratchy, it's quite likely the reverb select switch also needs cleaning.

Comment

Scratchy pots noise gone. Full response. What about the power resistors and grid and plate resistors?

Comment

This has all been covered in your previous thread about the amp. I'm not sure why you started another thread about the same amp anyway, but there's no need to rehash information that has already been discussed in the other thread.

Comment

Just replaced all filter caps and power resistors. Low mode not working. Any clue?
              Attached Files

Comment

I've never read about any common "low mode" failure for these amps. So the first thing to check would be voltages in circuit. The mode switch in and out first. Then upstream along the high voltage supply until you see a problem. If this is confusing you and you have any concern working with the high voltage circuits in live amplifiers you should take it to a qualified service technician.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Jquijano View Post
                  Just replaced all filter caps and power resistors.......
                  Of course you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    I've never read about any common "low mode" failure for these amps. So the first thing to check would be voltages in circuit. The mode switch in and out first. Then upstream along the high voltage supply until you see a problem. If this is confusing you and you have any concern working with the high voltage circuits in live amplifiers you should take it to a qualified service technician.
                    Well if you can help me with this. I would kindly appreciate it. I really prefer fixing this myself as the only 2 techs that fix these amps in Panama are always busy and the waiiting line just to check the amps is 10 days.

If the amp used to work on Lo mode with the old cement power resistor and original filter caps what could have happened? I also changed the 4 power tubes with a matched set.

Comment

Can you please re link the schematic on this thread if you have one.
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                        Can you please re link the schematic on this thread if you have one.
                        Yellow wire became loose. Ill resolder this back and revert. We need to move over to the reverb issue as the reverb selector swith is not closing the circuit on the channel that is not selected.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jquijano View Post
                          Yellow wire became loose. Ill resolder this back and revert...
                          This is a good example showing that it's not always failed electronic parts that cause problems.

Also note that your photo shows a push on mechanical connection that came loose. Just push it back in place. No soldering required.

Comment

OP: So, you flag my post as "rude and counter productive"? I was actually taming it down on that post, but since you're going to flag me anyway, here's what I WANTED to say.

You asked for advice and were advised by multiple career/qualified/exceptional techs (and myself) not to replace parts that didn't need replacing and that it could cause more problems rather than fix any (see this thread: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...-knob-twin-pcb). You willfully ignored that advice and, as expected, caused more problems than you fixed. Then, you come back here and ask the same techs that you ignored to bail you out. These guys donate their time for free to help guys like you and you're intentionally wasting it. You wanna know what's "rude and counter productive"?............ THAT!
                            Last edited by The Dude; 02-03-2024, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                              OP: So, you flag my post as "rude and counter productive"? I was actually taming it down on that post, but since you're going to flag me anyway, here's what I WANTED to say.

You asked for advice and were advised by multiple career/qualified/exceptional techs (and myself) not to replace parts that didn't need replacing and that it could cause more problems rather than fix any (see this thread: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...-knob-twin-pcb). You willfully ignored that advice and, as expected, caused more problems than you fixed. Then, you come back here and ask the same techs that you ignored to bail you out. These guys donate their time for free to help guys like you and you're intentionally wasting it. You wanna know what's "rude and counter productive"?............ THAT!
                              Man i already fixed my amp by myself using common sense. No problems whatsoever. Thanks anyway for taming it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X