Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switch output tubes by switching filament voltage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
    That one threw me.
    "Spare tubes".

Put them in bubble wrap & box em up.
    I like the rotating magazine idea, see R.G.'s post #22
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

With the state of modern tube production/reliability, RG's rotating magazine for spare tubes should come stock in new amps .
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
        Oh yes you are making a claim.
        Two in fact:
        a) J&J is a mischievous lying Company
        No, the person who wrote J&Js potted history is subject to the same human wimsy and inadequacies as everyone else. I doubt they're an academic historian. More likely a media content manager or something.
        b) RG quotes nonsense.
        Could be!

Oh, I get it, anything is trustier than a lying Big Capital Company.
        You seem to be confusing me with a hippy, and webpages with primary resources...

Just by stating it and being the ones who should know best, is proof enough.
        Lordy, you could say the same about (for example) the Catholic church and their histories... I hope you don't believe everything you're told!

Acceptable proof would be any (proven) WW2 vintage written material (since you insist on it) calling such tape "duct tape". I'm waiting, but won't hold my breath .
        Yep, that's all I ask!

(This is all tonge-in-cheek spirit, by the way, before anyone mistakenly thinks I'm all dead-solemn about it )

Comment

is subject to the same human wimsy and inadequacies as everyone else.
          Now you are fast retreating behind a protective smoke screen .... which in this case is the Logic Fallacy of diluting strong statements against your position in a generic "well, who knows what is truth?"

To make the scale of things clear, "strong atatements" is not said as an absolute value, but simply stronger than your proof or reasoning.

As of:

Acceptable proof would be any (proven) WW2 vintage written material (since you insist on it) calling such tape "duct tape". I'm waiting, but won't hold my breath .
          Yep, that's all I ask!
          you are looking at it upside down and not noticing: it's me who's "asking" , (in case you didn't notice the first quote is me ); it's you who must answer.
          So, here it goes again: do you have proof that it was called duct tape by WW2?
          Even a humble webpage?
          (Not written by you or a shill, of course )

footnote: the question is actually ridiculous, pity that it's you who suggested it, since you claim: "people actually involved can't be trusted and any witness is unreliable".
          Oh well.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            you are looking at it upside down and not noticing: it's me who's "asking" , (in case you didn't notice the first quote is me ); it's you who must answer. So, here it goes again: do you have proof that it was called duct tape by WW2?
            Um, no, it's not my job to prove a claim made by J&J. That's not how it works. It's their claim, so it's their job. I refuse to believe it until someone -anyone- provides a paper example.

"people actually involved can't be trusted and any witness is unreliable".
            Witnesses appear to be unavailable, not just unreliable! I doubt anyone at J&J is old enough to remember it personally. I'm not saying they're lying, just that the it's not confirmed, and the 'waterproof like a duck' explanation is the main part that doesn't hold water. Ahem.

Comment

Quack quack quack on the tape question chaps. To muddy the water even a bit more, one of the long-time manufacturerers is TUCK tape. The name might lead to dis-pronunskyations and yet another source of Miss Understandings. Tuck has a plant only 2 towns away, maybe 10 miles.

Let's try to have a merry Christmas guys and hope none of your presents is wrapped with multiple layers of duct, duck, tuck, gaff, gaffa, gaffer tape or anything else too tough to get into. Unless they need to be kept waterproof, of course.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Guys guys, it's Christmas, Both of you are well respected here and in DIY Audio. Merry Christmas.

Back to the thread. I like the concept of the Mesa Blue Angle, I just don't like the sound of it. There is something that I never like about all the Mesa's even though I tried very hard to like even one of them. My former idol Carlos Santana uses it, I really tried to like even one of them!!!

Comment

Yeah. Chill. Have some nog. Or my favorite Cragganmore.

( ... and I changed my sig. )
                  Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Believe it or not, I think Merlin and Juan are actually enjoying this. Or, at least, they were. Some folks enjoy debating an issue without a possible resolution just like having a resolvable issue to solve for. At least sometimes. It's a different head. More of a game than a competition. At least until someone starts to get personally offended. Mayhapse our boys are above that

Love the new sig R.G.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Alan0354 View Post
                      Guys guys, it's Christmas, Both of you are well respected here and in DIY Audio. Merry Christmas.

Back to the thread. I like the concept of the Mesa Blue Angle, I just don't like the sound of it. There is something that I never like about all the Mesa's even though I tried very hard to like even one of them. My former idol Carlos Santana uses it, I really tried to like even one of them!!!
                      The Electro Dyne combo is pretty good for old-tyme rock with a Strat.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan0354 View Post
                        ...There is something that I never like about all the Mesa's even though I tried very hard to like even one of them. My former idol Carlos Santana uses it, I really tried to like even one of them!!!
                        I don't know what you mean by "former Idol" but note that Carlos Santana has been using Dumble amps lately. Reference the YouTube videos of his 2013 new year performance in Times Square and other TV appearances.
                        Last edited by Tom Phillips; 12-25-2014, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I have no idea what he use anymore. He was my idol in the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                            Believe it or not, I think Merlin and Juan are actually enjoying this. Or, at least, they were. Some folks enjoy debating an issue without a possible resolution just like having a resolvable issue to solve for. At least sometimes. It's a different head. More of a game than a competition. At least until someone starts to get personally offended. Mayhapse our boys are above that

Love the new sig R.G.
                            Oh, it's been fun, so far; doubly so exchanging ideas with such a distinguished member of this Forum (and many others).

That said, it's already become circular and tailchasing, so no more juice to be pulled out of this lemon.

Personally, will leave it as is, no need to "have the last word" or anything.

Merry Xmas to all.
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                            X