Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100 watts from an effects pedal?!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 100 watts from an effects pedal?!

    How is it possible that this Carvin pedal can produce 100 watts with a 24 volt 5000 mA supply?

    https://carvinaudio.com/products/mac...edal-amplifier

  • #2
    Assuming a perfectly-efficient amplifier, 24V*5A = 120W so ideally possible.
    50W into 8R (from the spec page) would require +/-20vdc rails in a linear amp. I'm thinking class D may get a single 24v rail to squeeze out that power. So how close to perfect is the amp? 100W/120W = 84% if we're talking continuous power output. I think class D amps approach that.

    "Music Power" or "Peak Power" can be claimed, then all you need is a couple decent-size capacitors to hold the rails up for a few milliseconds.
    So I guess the question as I would frame it, is whether "Carvin pedal can produce" or "Carvin can claim this pedal can produce"
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

    Comment


    • #3
      Why not? You can buy 400 watt Class D amp modules from parts-express.com or eBay that run on 24-36v/4A supplies.
      --
      I build and repair guitar amps
      http://amps.monkeymatic.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Okay you have convinced me. What the heck am I doing schlepping around heavy amps when I can put this on my pedal board?

        Comment


        • #5
          Why should I eat steak and potatoes when I could just eat protein paste?
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Why should I eat steak and potatoes when I could just eat protein paste?
            No better words have been said.

            But if you like protein paste then good for you.
            nosaj
            Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Why should I eat steak and potatoes when I could just eat protein paste?
              Why would I eat chicken wings when I could eat escargot? Probably because I've been culturally indoctrinated in one and not the other. It's not a value statement, but a statement of preference.
              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by eschertron View Post

                Why would I eat chicken wings when I could eat escargot? Probably because I've been culturally indoctrinated in one and not the other. It's not a value statement, but a statement of preference.
                Yea well I prefer my indoctrination but thighs are better
                nosaj
                Binkie McFartnuggets‏:If we really wanted to know the meaning of life we would have fed Stephen Hawking shrooms a long time ago.

                Comment


                • #9
                  People with seafood allergies may be allergic to cricket flour.
                  "Everything is better with a tube. I have a customer with an all-tube pacemaker. His heartbeat is steady, reassuring and dependable, not like a modern heartbeat. And if it goes wrong he can fix it himself. You can't do that with SMD." - Mick Bailey

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Or grasshoppers.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It was two 50W outputs. Each will be bridged to give you about a 20Vpp swing, That's a full 50W average ( commonly misnamed RMS) into 4 ohms. Frankly, at USD189 with no preamp it seems overpriced.
                      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        Or grasshoppers.
                        On the USS Enterprise, grasshoppers will be made from protein paste. So OK For those with seafood allergies.
                        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I noticed that the spec doesn't say RMS - it just refers to 100W or 50W+50W so could be music power.

                          I have a really cheap 100W 24v class D amp board from China built around a TI single chip. With a low-voltage tube preamp the sound quality is there, plus it's insanely loud and more than enough volume for live work. The input impedance is selected by a single resistor but unfortunately with my particular board it's inaccessible without removing other components, so the input impedance is pretty much set at 10K. Not a problem though with a preamp that expects to see a lower impedance. I tried driving it off a few pedals and it's pretty loud enough, but loses all the top-end as you'd expect.

                          I posted elsewhere what it cost and I can't recall exactly, but you could buy two for the price of a decent set of strings when I got it about 4 years ago.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                            I noticed that the spec doesn't say RMS - it just refers to 100W or 50W+50W so could be music power.

                            I have a really cheap 100W 24v class D amp board from China built around a TI single chip. With a low-voltage tube preamp the sound quality is there, plus it's insanely loud and more than enough volume for live work. The input impedance is selected by a single resistor but unfortunately with my particular board it's inaccessible without removing other components, so the input impedance is pretty much set at 10K. Not a problem though with a preamp that expects to see a lower impedance. I tried driving it off a few pedals and it's pretty loud enough, but loses all the top-end as you'd expect.

                            I posted elsewhere what it cost and I can't recall exactly, but you could buy two for the price of a decent set of strings when I got it about 4 years ago.
                            You can order a set here, also good as replacement for blown sessionette 75 power modules
                            https://de.aliexpress.com/item/40009...%2315392%23237

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This one looks like you could build the Carvin pedal-amp for $15 + enclosure and power supply AND add Bluetooth!
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/50wx2-Bluet...UAAOSwINlfiRkg

                              Comment

                              bostanci escort
                              sisli escort mecidiyekoy escort
                              pendik escort
                              sex vidio
                              altyazili porno
                              antalya escort
                              beylikduzu eskort bayan eskort bayan escort antalya sirinevler bayan escort
                              gaziantep escort gaziantep escort
                              atasehir escort
                              antalya escort bayan escort atakoy
                              izmit escort
                              ankara escort
                              porno
                              replica watches
                              Working...
                              X