100 watts from an effects pedal?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 watts from an effects pedal?!

How is it possible that this Carvin pedal can produce 100 watts with a 24 volt 5000 mA supply?

https://carvinaudio.com/products/mac...edal-amplifier

Assuming a perfectly-efficient amplifier, 24V*5A = 120W so ideally possible.
    50W into 8R (from the spec page) would require +/-20vdc rails in a linear amp. I'm thinking class D may get a single 24v rail to squeeze out that power. So how close to perfect is the amp? 100W/120W = 84% if we're talking continuous power output. I think class D amps approach that.

"Music Power" or "Peak Power" can be claimed, then all you need is a couple decent-size capacitors to hold the rails up for a few milliseconds.
    So I guess the question as I would frame it, is whether "Carvin pedal can produce" or "Carvin can claim this pedal can produce"
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Why not? You can buy 400 watt Class D amp modules from parts-express.com or eBay that run on 24-36v/4A supplies.
      --
      I build and repair guitar amps
      http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

Okay you have convinced me. What the heck am I doing schlepping around heavy amps when I can put this on my pedal board?

Comment

Why should I eat steak and potatoes when I could just eat protein paste?
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            No better words have been said.

But if you like protein paste then good for you.
            nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Why would I eat chicken wings when I could eat escargot? Probably because I've been culturally indoctrinated in one and not the other. It's not a value statement, but a statement of preference.
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post

Why would I eat chicken wings when I could eat escargot? Probably because I've been culturally indoctrinated in one and not the other. It's not a value statement, but a statement of preference.
                Yea well I prefer my indoctrination but thighs are better
                nosaj
                soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

People with seafood allergies may be allergic to cricket flour.
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Or grasshoppers.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It was two 50W outputs. Each will be bridged to give you about a 20Vpp swing, That's a full 50W average ( commonly misnamed RMS) into 4 ohms. Frankly, at USD189 with no preamp it seems overpriced.
                      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Or grasshoppers.
                        On the USS Enterprise, grasshoppers will be made from protein paste. So OK For those with seafood allergies.

Comment

I noticed that the spec doesn't say RMS - it just refers to 100W or 50W+50W so could be music power.

I have a really cheap 100W 24v class D amp board from China built around a TI single chip. With a low-voltage tube preamp the sound quality is there, plus it's insanely loud and more than enough volume for live work. The input impedance is selected by a single resistor but unfortunately with my particular board it's inaccessible without removing other components, so the input impedance is pretty much set at 10K. Not a problem though with a preamp that expects to see a lower impedance. I tried driving it off a few pedals and it's pretty loud enough, but loses all the top-end as you'd expect.

I posted elsewhere what it cost and I can't recall exactly, but you could buy two for the price of a decent set of strings when I got it about 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                            I noticed that the spec doesn't say RMS - it just refers to 100W or 50W+50W so could be music power.

I have a really cheap 100W 24v class D amp board from China built around a TI single chip. With a low-voltage tube preamp the sound quality is there, plus it's insanely loud and more than enough volume for live work. The input impedance is selected by a single resistor but unfortunately with my particular board it's inaccessible without removing other components, so the input impedance is pretty much set at 10K. Not a problem though with a preamp that expects to see a lower impedance. I tried driving it off a few pedals and it's pretty loud enough, but loses all the top-end as you'd expect.

I posted elsewhere what it cost and I can't recall exactly, but you could buy two for the price of a decent set of strings when I got it about 4 years ago.
                            You can order a set here, also good as replacement for blown sessionette 75 power modules
                            https://de.aliexpress.com/item/40009...%2315392%23237

Comment

This one looks like you could build the Carvin pedal-amp for $15 + enclosure and power supply AND add Bluetooth!
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/50wx2-Bluet...UAAOSwINlfiRkg

Comment

Working...
                              X