Best 10" speaker on a budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imaradiostar View Post
    I take it back. Saw Eric Johnson tonight and his Twins (which no doubt have Fender tone stacks with 10k pots) sounded fabulous.

jamie
    I dunno.?. Eric is a known gear tweak. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn he was using 25k mid pots. What kind of material is he playing in the show? When I saw him it was a Marshall half stack.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

If you really want to go cheap, look on Craigs List or pawn shop, whatever, for an any brand 4x10 cab. If you are lucky you might get one for $150 from someone that needs to pay rent. Pull the back off to see if the speakers can be re-wired for a 4 ohm load. Put the speakers in your SR cab and resell the empty 4x10 cab. The speakers will be broken in and you will have a baseline to decide what you really want in the future. But you may get lucky, especially if it's an old cab.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        I dunno.?. Eric is a known gear tweak. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn he was using 25k mid pots. What kind of material is he playing in the show? When I saw him it was a Marshall half stack.
        The usual rig for more or less the last 10 years- a pair of twins, a marshall trem head with 6l6's into a 4x12 and a super lead head with EL34's into another 4x12. He's added a few random things like a boss digital delay, tubescreamer, toadworks flanger (I think) but for the most part his main sounds are still the twins with a delay and TC Elec chorus, dirty 6l6 marshall with the fuzz face in front of it, and the tube driver in front of the super lead. I didn't see the dirty rhythm or lead echoplexes on stage so they must have been in the rack with the tube driver. Most of his gear was behind a curtain because it was a tiny venue and he's very very loud. It didn't seem that there was much of his rig in the house.

He played only a song each from Tones, Ah Via and Venus Isle. He played a single Hendrix tune (Wind Cries Mary) and an Electromagnets song which as fun. My favorite song of the night was probably the Coltrane tune- amazing how electric guitar can do that sax thing when Eric is playing! He used the SG with the Fuzz Face for quite a few songs- thick tone bordering on muddy at times but it had more of that cream sound without the clear sound of the strat. One day I'd love to meet Eric- I've been to a lot of his shows and admire what he does.

Sorry, back on topic. Another good source for tens is to find some old Shure Vocal Master (disaster) cabs- they had some CTS tens in them and were pretty durable. I've managed to acquire 3 of them for free and save the speakers.

jamie

Comment

Back in the day there was little differentiation between hifi and musical instrument speakers. I've found a lot of old CTS and Jensens in big old Magnavox and such consoles from the late 50s and early 60s. The speakers are identical to the ones the same period guitar amp manufactures used. If I see an old stereo cab in a dumpster, trash, or yard sale I always check. And yes, Shure PAs, Standel PA tower cabs had them too. Those things are nearly worthless to anyone unless you have the sense to remove the speakers. (the horns are usually useless). I once threw 6 Silvertone 1484 amps in the trash having used the speakers and the amps being worthless in the late 70s early 80s. It's not as plentiful and easy as it once was but there are lots of opportunities to acquire vintage speakers and tubes for cheap if you open your eyes and have patience. You won't do it on EBay. Luckily most speaker cabs are too big to ship.

Comment

pm sent

Comment

Working...
            X