Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipad basics (mail icon).

Hi chaps,

In my homepage ( ipad air2) I have a mail icon. Im not exactly sure why email (as I assume it represents) has its own icon rather than just another website you might have open in a tab, as I do, but its there it seems as a default thing, & might be useful to have this to dive into my emails pronto, have its own ipad 'section' or whatever it might be called.

But I cannot seem to make use of it, because it asks me to put in my password, which Ive forgotten. My hotmail is already open in a tab, so in theory, if a password reset procedure is sent to my own email acc.. I could actually receive it.. but it does not send reset procedure to my email, but to a phone.

So, I click reset password.. then a security prompt "send text code to..." a very old mobile number; i have a new mobile, so the idea is fine if I could get it sent to it.. but how can I change this phone number, without accessing the acc, which I cannot access??

Catch22 afaict. Any ideas? Thanks SC

Try - https://account.live.com/resetpassword.asp

If you don't have another mail account you can use you'll need to create one for Microsoft to send the password to.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post

If you don't have another mail account you can use you'll need to create one for Microsoft to send the password to.
      Hi Dave.. I did try everything I could, the page you kindly linked to included (this then asks to send a verify code.. to my mobile, which is a decade old, n/a).

But creating a new email address.. hadn't thought of that. Will try, thanks SC

Comment

Tried this but no good. I go to create a new acc.. & it just sends me to my existing ( open) account. And I can't risk signing out, because I've forgotten my password so wouldn't be able to sign in again.

Its now double catch22.

Any other ideas anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
          Any other ideas anyone?
          Try setting up a gmail account then you'll be able to use it as the recovery account for hotmail (and vice versa)
          Last edited by Dave H; 07-20-2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I see passwords, seem to be an issue from time to time?
            I recommend everyone have an account and password notebook.
            I have one in my Desk.
            I keep Account info, passwords, etc.
            I do this for all my Computers, online accounts, including healthcare, and financial accounts.
            My family knows where it is, in case I fall over some day.
            GL,
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Sound practice Big T.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                I see passwords, seem to be an issue from time to time?
                I recommend everyone have an account and password notebook.
                I have one in my Desk.
                I keep Account info, passwords, etc.
                I do this for all my Computers, online accounts, including healthcare, and financial accounts.
                My family knows where it is, in case I fall over some day.
                GL,
                T
                Wise words indeed.. but I do this, & then lose the damn thing. Thanks SC

Comment

Anyone with an ipad? Is the idea with using email, to use the dedicated homepage 'mail' icon at all?

Or maybe its not so useful.. I think I saw my Ma use her outlook email acc using this icon, but, then the whole layout is completely different to what's usual for outlook. Its a dogs dinner ( for whatever reason the layout should be any different is beyond me ), but she has a pc tablet/ not an ipad thing. The layout is so poor in her case, she cant easily see when any new emails are received at all so I never know if she ever receives an email.

The difference between the new excellent clear ipad design, & the old convoluted email acc layouts.. is night & day. Why they're not updated is beyond me too.

Comment

Try setting up a gmail account then you'll be able to use it as the recovery account for hotmail (and vice versa)
                    Nope.. this cannot work either, just set up a new gmail account. The problem is my old phone number. It asks to send a code via text, & my old mob number is there. It says 'choose another option/ dont have any of these' ( regarding the highlighted phone number).. i then click this.. but it only reverts me back to the highlighted old phone number, so it gives me no other option. I cannot progress from this. And I cannot change my phone number in my microsoft acc.

catch22 x3 now.

ffs!!

Comment

I have absolutely no idea how to do this. At the momemt, Just trying simply to view my password in hotmail, I have to change it. In order to do this, i have to get this text sent. In order to do this i need to update my mob number. In order to do this, i need to create a new gmail account. Then, i need to go through page after page of questions... by now Im so overloaded i dont know where i am because it says "we'll email you in 24 hrs to tell you if you've provided enough info to revover your account".. but I haven't asked to recover my account.

So now I'm concerned Ill be locked out of my hotmail account in 24 hrs!!!

This is an utter mess.

Comment

Does anyone know simply this: how to update your phone number in hotmail?

Ok Ive found where to edit my info.. but it asks me t9 sign in again 1st. So Im stuck again. Catch22 x4.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                          Nope.. this cannot work either, just set up a new gmail account. The problem is my old phone number. It asks to send a code via text, & my old mob number is there. It says 'choose another option/ dont have any of these' ( regarding the highlighted phone number).. i then click this.. but it only reverts me back to the highlighted old phone number, so it gives me no other option. I cannot progress from this. And I cannot change my phone number in my microsoft acc.
                          I don't think you have to update your phone number. It should send the code to your new gmail address. When you click on "I don't have any of these" it should give you the option to enter your new gmail address in the box under "Where should we contact you" If it is not already there enter your hotmail address in the box under "Which microsoft account are you trying to get back into"

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Click image for larger version  Name:	account-1.png Views:	0 Size:	34.8 KB ID:	937443
                          Last edited by Dave H; 07-24-2021, 03:22 PM.

Comment

I don't think you have to update your phone number. It should send the code to your new gmail address. When you click on "I don't have any of these" it should give you the option to enter your new gmail address in the box under "Where should we contact you" If it is not already there enter your hotmail address in the box under "Which microsoft account are you trying to get back into"

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Click image for larger version Name:	account-1.png Views:	0 Size:	34.8 KB ID:	937443
                            Hi Dave, good of you to help on this one. Useful info I do recognise the screenshot thing you add; its confusing as Im already into my hotmail acc (it is open in a tab Im obviously loathed to sign out of, in case I cant get back in), & Im not wanting/ needing to recover my account. Just to update my mob number.

Its kinda good there are layers of complexity to aid security in general.. but this rut Im stuck in, is absurd.

Comment

A Question about older SLR camera with ipad if I could chaps..

Will my ipad ( air2) be able to work with an '01 DSLR I wonder? Specifically an olympus e20, which uses " olympus camedia 2.5" software.

The ipad does not have a usb port, or a cd player thing obviously. I had an olympus e10 (almost identical) I used with my laptop, both now since RIP; afair I installed some software, or something, in the PC. I think this was the camedia 2.5. But so long ago I cant remember the basic process, of getting photos from camera to computer.

Any ideas? Thanks, SC

Comment

Working...
                              X