Ipad basics (mail icon).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave H View Post

My link #23 is incorrect. It would work with my camera but the camera end of your cable looks like a printer cable which is a standard USB B (not mini B) so you'd need a Female USB A to Male USB B converter like - this

Click image for larger version Name:	USB types.png Views:	0 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	937824
    Dave you're a star.. really helpful. Finally got there! A printer.. well well, I guess camera is 20 yrs old.

Great I'll see how my ipad end cable adaptor fares 1st.. & nab one of these if it doesn't work.

Fab cheers, SC

Comment

My link #23 is incorrect. It would work with my camera but the camera end of your cable looks like a printer cable which is a standard USB B (not mini B) so you'd need a Female USB A to Male USB B converter like - this

Click image for larger version Name:	USB types.png Views:	0 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	937824
      Dave I need your help again!

Today I got a lightning to usb adaptor cable. So I plugged my old camera cable's male usb end into it.

I get nothing on the ipad. Well, once I got a pop up mssg "ipad doesnt support.." something (I cannot get it to repeat the mssg).

So do I now try your suggestion of an adaptor plug, onto the ipads existing cable? Or does this one mssg I saw do you think indicate Its likely to be a fruitless task?

--

Reading your useful apple support page, it says alternatively " use a lightning to card reader". Ok I can get the gist, take card out put into a separate thing with a lightning lead on. My card is a 1" or so sized "SmartMedia" type. Ive tried googling all obvious things, but I cannot establish if this is a standard type or an olympus specific type card. Let alone if a reader might exist, with a lightning end.. then if the ipad would recognise it.

urgh so much effort!! Exhausting.

Anyone any ideas? Thanks foe reading,SC

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post

Today I got a lightning to usb adaptor cable. So I plugged my old camera cable's male usb end into it.

I get nothing on the ipad. Well, once I got a pop up mssg "ipad doesnt support.." something (I cannot get it to repeat the mssg).

So do I now try your suggestion of an adaptor plug, onto the ipads existing cable? Or does this one mssg I saw do you think indicate Its likely to be a fruitless task?
        I don't think I can be much help. I've never used an iPad or iOS but there's nothing to lose by trying the adapter plug with the lightning connector that was supplied with the iPad. It must support that. Is it possible to find the camera using the "Photos" or "Files" apps?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post

Reading your useful apple support page, it says alternatively " use a lightning to card reader". Ok I can get the gist, take card out put into a separate thing with a lightning lead on. My card is a 1" or so sized "SmartMedia" type. Ive tried googling all obvious things, but I cannot establish if this is a standard type or an olympus specific type card. Let alone if a reader might exist, with a lightning end.. then if the ipad would recognise it.
          Google tells me the E20 uses a Compact Flash card so you'd need a Lightning to CF card reader like - this perhaps?

Edit:
          The E20 also has a Smart Media card slot. The Compact flash is the larger of the two. Which do you have.
          Last edited by Dave H; 08-03-2021, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Google tells me the E20 uses a Compact Flash card so you'd need a Lightning to CF card reader like - this perhaps?

Edit:
            The E20 also has a Smart Media card slot. The Compact flash is the larger of the two. Which do you have.

Hi Dave, yes its a 'SmartMedia' card. not too popular from the www info Ive trawled.

Edit: I now see it - does- have a " CF" slot ( i had no idea what this cf was.. so it stands for Compact Flash then, aha..).

What Im wondering is, having had this ipad message which I saw again: "This Accesory is not supported by this ipad".. does this refer to the card format, smartmedia (i do not have a CF card, just a blank slot you see).. or the camera itself-?

hmm.. ok new avenue then, will look into CF to lightning card readers, but of course then need a CF card. Omg.

Ive tried asking apple.. but noone it seems to actually ask. Appreciate your input, SC
            Last edited by Sea Chief; 08-03-2021, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Right Im a step closer with this card reader, more affordable.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265109413...4AAOSwJdRgZr4K

But then the card. Seem pretty pricey, so both/ the whole shebang will cost £25+.. urgh.

Anyway I guess I can mull it over, weigh up if its worth it. Anyway thanks Dave you've helped me get to the right path.. I think. Grateful- SC

( edit. Seen cf used cards in ebay for a fiver.. so might be the solution! Jeepers what a palaver!). Thx
              Last edited by Sea Chief; 08-03-2021, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Oh christ.. the apple support page doesn't show CF cards in the info, just SD cards. Unless Im mistaken . Omg this is exhausting..

Comment

I give up. Cannot do either things I wanted. Absolutely infuriating. I even tried and at last got onto the apple support chat session.. but 3 people so poor in english the chance of them being able to help was zero, plus the sessions kept ending infuriatingly. Im spent.

Thanks Dave.

Comment

Working...
                  X