No announcement yet.

Ipad basics (mail icon).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't there be an incentive to keep at least one laptop, with usb, and SC slot?
    If all you have is a limited ipad, that doesn't seem to be the best scenario!
    I dig laptops, and have several spares!
    But, that is my personal preference.

T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Wouldn't there be an incentive to keep at least one laptop, with usb, and SC slot?
      If all you have is a limited ipad, that doesn't seem to be the best scenario!
      I dig laptops, and have several spares!
      But, that is my personal preference.

T
      My laptop recently died bigteen, my olympus e10 died last year. I cannot afford a new one, or old one, & the ipad being so much easier / more convenient.. & prolly powerful too.. & as it seems to be able to do everything up to washing my smalls for me, I wanted to know if it could ' do' older SLR pics. I spotted an olympus e20 in a charity shop you see £50. But desperately trying t9 find out if its viable to buy, if Ive only the ipad ( it's cam is remarkable for its size, but falls very short vs an slr of course).

thx SC

Comment

I think you are supposed to connect to the camera via the iPad's Lightning connector.
        The iPad spec says there's a Lightning to USB cable in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
          I think you are supposed to connect to the camera via the iPad's Lightning connector.
          The iPad spec says there's a Lightning to USB cable in the box.
          Ah thanks Dave. Yes ipad has such a charge cable.. ie the usb end goes into a female usb port on the mains plug. The cam has a 'mini usb' port.. a diddy thing just says 'usb' above it, now I remember this is where I ran a cable to my PC ( i think a std usb male end to it). Hmm..

Thing is Im sure I needed some software 'program', using my old PC, which was on a cd. Maybe Im wrong then.

Great help, thanks.

Comment

More specifically its a " type B usb " (mini one).. anyway Im a step closer. Urgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
              Thing is Im sure I needed some software 'program', using my old PC, which was on a cd.
              Try - this

Comment

Try - this
                Dave that's very kind, thanks. Will pour over this at weekend. Thx SC

Comment

More specifically its a " type B usb " (mini one)..
                  Then you may need one of - these

Comment

Been looking at exact same things.. good that seems like perhaps the route to take. Cheers Dave

Comment

Hi again Dave. Im another step closer.. i bought the camera. Need help tho!

Ok so Ive dug out my old cable I used with my old camera. It plugs into cam ( mini usb- B).. & has a standard usb male other end. Obviously I shoved this end into my old PC. My ipad only has a " lightning" port.

So, would the basic idea be to somehow get this cable's male usb end.. via a ' usb to lightning adaptor'? Or use the ipads charge cable, with its standard usb male end, instead of going into its mains plug.. but into a 'female to female usb adaptor' between the two male standard usb ends?

I need a lie down. This sort of thing fries my head! Thx SC

Comment

So, would the basic idea be to somehow get this cable's male usb end.. via a ' usb to lightning adaptor'? Or use the ipads charge cable, with its standard usb male end, instead of going into its mains plug.. but into a 'female to female usb adaptor' between the two male standard usb ends?
                        A new lightning adapter will be expensive as it contains active electronics. The Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter is £29. I'd try using your Lightning to USB charging cable (which is also used for data) together with the adapter linked in post #23

Comment

A new lightning adapter will be expensive as it contains active electronics. The Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter is £29. I'd try using your Lightning to USB charging cable (which is also used for data) together with the adapter linked in post #23
                          Hi Dave, thing is your link has the wrong shaped smaller end. Assuming that bit goes into the camera/ assuming that was your idea.

But I get the basic overall idea. But I couldnt find an adaptor similar, with the right end. So, Ive just bought/ trying as a go (as only £3 on ebay) an adaptor that has a lightning end.. a short 2" lead.. to a female standard usb socket on its other end. Then I plug my camera cable in to it. The lightning end goes into ipad.

Now whether this will work i have no idea at all. But a will fit to b, is all i know.

If this doesnt work, then I would assume, tho again i have no idea at all, that i need to try find a similar adaptor as ypur post #23.. but with the right shaped end. Im not quite understanding the £29 cost tho.. if there seem to be xyz types on ebay for £3. Altho i couldnt find exactly the right shaped end during my search today.

It fries my head.

Comment

Ive just spotted this, by changing the search wording, & perhpas it has the right shaped ends i need.. but it says " keyboard" all the time in the listing, plus the female usb end looks kinda funny lookin. I think i found similar before, but i was confused if it would work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350561942...YAAMXQXZZRe4Dr

Comment

Dave H I have one lead on its way, an adaptor at the ipad (lightning one end, female usb socket other end).. so will see of works. but in meantime I could buy a £1 adaptor as I link to above / upping my chances one might work.. but confusion remains as to the mini usb thing at the camera: on my old lead, I see a 'B' etched in the plug end, and 'usb' labelled on the cam itself. And www info indeed says this is a usb-B plug type. But your #23 adaptor, saying this is a usb-B.. has a different shaped plug.. definitely wouldn't fit. Thoughrally confusing.

Heres my camera side of things.. Click image for larger version

Name:	1332C675-C27D-4C91-866E-EDCB75E08F2A.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	937813

Comment

If this doesnt work, then I would assume, tho again i have no idea at all, that i need to try find a similar adaptor as ypur post #23.. but with the right shaped end.
                                My link #23 is incorrect. It would work with my camera but the camera end of your cable looks like a printer cable which is a standard USB B (not mini B) so you'd need a Female USB A to Male USB B converter like - this

Click image for larger version  Name:	USB types.png Views:	0 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	937824

Comment

Working...
                                X