Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favourite string cutting tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
    Yep, those are the ones. There is no string end left sticking out.
    Most bass tuners are like that too.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I've never thought of strings as difficult to cut but then I've spent 30 years cutting stainless bicycle cables so I guess it's all realtive. I ruined plenty of cutters doing that. It certainly matters how hard the steel of the cutter is. Back in the 90's I bought a cheap (talking dollar store cheap) 3 piece set of pliars and snips because I wanted a pair of needlenose pliers for fishing. I've been using those cheap little snips for at least 15 years and use them to snip leads when working on amps. Never dulled but the steel is harder than any of the more expensive tools I own.

Comment

I've never thought of strings as difficult to cut but then I've spent 30 years cutting stainless bicycle cables so I guess it's all relative. I ruined plenty of cutters doing that. It certainly matters how hard the steel of the cutter is. Back in the 90's I bought a cheap (talking dollar store cheap) 3 piece set of pliers and snips because I wanted a pair of needlenose pliers for fishing. I've been using those cheap little snips for at least 15 years and use them to snip leads when working on amps. Never dulled but the steel is harder than any of the more expensive tools I own.

Comment

Planet Waves here as well.

Comment

QUOTE=Wittgenstein;273791]Sorry for the bad phone pictures... I plan on buying a camera soon. Here is my acoustic and electric guitar with the strings uncut.

guitar strings | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

guitar | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	string.png
Views:	1
Size:	953.8 KB
ID:	825895[/QUOTE]

Wittgenstein,
            Apparently you are not alone:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Robert_Fripp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	826766[

That would be Robert Fripp

Comment

I usually use this: Tungsten Diagonal Cutting Pliers [PM-925] - $31.77 : Pro'sKit

But I also use a pair of hardware-store Stanley 8" diagonal cutters, or my Xcelite 6" ones. You really need zone-hardened jaws to cut music wire, but damn, anything in a pinch. I'll just reserve whatever I use for music wire only.
              John R. Frondelli
              dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Originally posted by frus View Post
                Planet Waves winder/cutter like this one

Yep- this is what works best for me. The string winder part of it is a nice upgrade from the very common Dunlop ones. I've screwed up at least a dozen diagonal pliers cutting strings over the years- the cutting edge gets full of nicks.

Steve Ahola
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:
                https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
                X