No announcement yet.

New CuNiFe Wide Range Humbuckers exist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet on the bass pickups you made for parker that you didnt have totally descreet operation of each coil and you were getting bleed through from the adjacent bobbins so you would get a partially out of phase sound. unless you shield between each coil for bleed through youll get alot of it!
    So when you struck a string you were also getting some out of phase signal from the adjacent bobbin mixed in with the dominate coil.

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
      I bet on the bass pickups you made for parker that you didnt have totally descreet operation of each coil and you were getting bleed through from the adjacent bobbins so you would get a partially out of phase sound. unless you shield between each coil for bleed through youll get alot of it!
      So when you struck a string you were also getting some out of phase signal from the adjacent bobbin mixed in with the dominate coil.
      That's an interesting point you raise. I'm about to start testing some multi coil bass pickups. I'll try some tests.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
        Jason -

Indeed... I do recall that thought occurring to me at the time. I also recall trying variations on coil & magnet polarities and letting the hum balance considerations slide for the purpose of just checking out the sound..

Too bad I don't actually remember the results, nor did I keep any kindof rigorous notes, a bad habit that continues through the present day.

And, in fact, to bring this all around to the original focus of this thread (way back there) I recall not liking the idea of closely spaced magnets pointing opposite ways (as they do between the coils of the original WIde Range Humbuckers) just on the principle that proximate adjacent magnets flatten out the field lines that normally "reach up" towards the strings.

'Course, if it sound good, it is good...

Bob Palmieri

Comment

Originally posted by Tele-Bob View Post
          belwar, the tough thing about CuNiFe is that the magnetic polarity needs to be "oriented" when it's manufactured. They do this during the final annealing process where they apply a strong magnetic force to the material and heat it to a specific temperature over a specified period of time to created the magnetic polarity. If the orientation is not correct for the use you're intending, the material will not work. I had to test the material I bought to be certain and it's fine.
          Hello everyone.

I just managed to get some CuNiFe out of the blue.Best friend works in a company that is the contractor for shipyards and today he surprised me with this

Slipper is just for size reference

Reading your post it seems to me that I won't be able to use it.Im pretty shure that in the factory it was porduced,they didnt care much about magnetic properties,because it was intended for the ship pipeline system.

Or maybe there is a way to make it work ?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I'd love to have a go at that piece. I could make pole pieces out of that with some work. Does he have access to more?

Comment

He works with it on regular basis.Only trouble is that it is very rare and also expensive.
              They order it somewhere from India in 10-20K euros batches.
              It comes precut so in this case i was lucky because they
              had the rest from some deal that has gone bad.I cant say when the next time will same thing happen.

BTW what about dimensioning the polepiecs and bars.Should i make them thicker/bigger radius considering weaker magnetic properties?

Comment

Working...
              X