Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can CSC machine be programmed to do scattered winding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
    I read about this concept here. And spent time experimenting with it. Maybe I can dig out the motor and AA batteries and take pictures for proof. It works. You should try implementing it into your auto-winder project. I don't use it myself though; a little bit of compression tension plus finger tension is all I will use, as I don't plan on doing any winding that is mechanically automated or computer controlled anytime soon.
    So why did you spend time experimenting with it?

And how do you know it worked if you don't have a winder that used it?

Did you also build a winder that you don't use?
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Several builds are coming up. The first will almost definitely be made from spare parts around the shop and run on the same controller as our router. It's a quick and inexpensive way to verify the design before proceeding. I don't expect any surprises, which is exactly why it's being built. The process will be thoroughly documented. It's particularly satisfying to build a project such as this when you have a CNC router, because the whole thing starts coming to life so quickly. More likely than not, it will go from being a pile of parts to winding its first coil the same day. In the long term it's much more likely that I will sell kits rather than finished units because I'd rather focus my energy on making guitars. Still, having a complete base and frame with mounting points for motors and other parts is a big part of the typical building process.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        So why did you spend time experimenting with it?

And how do you know it worked if you don't have a winder that used it?

Did you also build a winder that you don't use?
        -For fun. And to explore my options.

-Because I do have a homemade winder loosely based off Jason's design, and managed to do some temporary rigging. I probably could have done better if I still had my old Erector Set, though.

-I did indeed. From a fan motor. It looks like poo and better things came along before I got very far with it.

Comment

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post

. . . I do have a homemade winder loosely based off Jason's design. . . I probably could have done better if I still had my old Erector Set, though.
          I find it difficult to understand some posts some times, so I take out the parts I totally can't figure out and every once in a while it just leaves me even more confused than when I started. While I'm not on a first name basis with Jason Lollar, I'd be thrilled if I had the opportunity to tour his shop some day. The cool stuff that would be tucked away there must be amazing.
          Take Care,

Jim. . .
          VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
            I'd be thrilled if I had the opportunity to tour his shop some day. The cool stuff that would be tucked away there must be amazing.
            I'm a tinkerer, and sometimes a snooper; have been as long as I can remember. The things that people keep hidden out of sight fascinate me, as they can tell you a lot about who they are. But being a tinkerer first - I do love a good snoop around a well seasoned workshop. Projects long forgotten, collections of nuts and bolts, strange contraptions of unknown origin - I could stay fascinated and occupied for hours.

Comment

This is a picture of my CNC router from last year (we were fabricating a dust collection adapter plate from polycarbonate at the time.) In open-source kit form, it would cost under $1000 to build the entire gantry including linear rails, steppers, ACME rods, and all of the aluminum extrusions. Missing would be the router and all of its associated upgrades. Do you honestly believe that it would even be a challenge to make a very nice little CNC pickup winder fully assembled for the same price as Schatten's product? Perhaps that would be a better starting point: How much more product can you offer in a design with a price not exceeding that of a Schatten hand winder?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0905.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	815.9 KB
ID:	829182

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Evans View Post
                . . . Do you honestly believe that it would even be a challenge to make a very nice little CNC pickup winder fully assembled for the same price as Schatten's product?
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]23599[/ATTACH]
                Obviously it couldn't be too much of a challenge because I built one myself with all the mounting hardware and brackets I needed, and I'm an only an accountant (well, was before I retired anyway) and a lot more skilled members here have created much better. That said, I'm still waiting for someone to build and make available (sell if "make available" is not direct enough) a complete winding kit (software, hardware, mounting brackets, etc.) for the price of a Schatten product. Don't ask me if I think it can't be done, show me it can.
                Take Care,

Jim. . .
                VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                  Obviously it couldn't be too much of a challenge because I built one myself with all the mounting hardware and brackets I needed, and I'm an only an accountant (well, was before I retired anyway) and a lot more skilled members here have created much better. That said, I'm still waiting for someone to build and make available (sell if "make available" is not direct enough) a complete winding kit (software, hardware, mounting brackets, etc.) for the price of a Schatten product. Don't ask me if I think it can't be done, show me it can.
                  To get clearer, that is also with all the motors, correct?
                  When you say CNC machine, that would be a complete package.
                  Only thing that would be missing would be maybe a base computer to drive it with?
                  In the original $200, that was the machine, not a kit.
                  I don't think a kit was mentioned.
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Raspberry Pi weighs in at $25 and has more than sufficient horsepower for the task. Of course, I've been operating under the assumption that most people have an old computer sitting around to take care of that end. But we were talking about just the machine at first, right? A copy of Mach3 runs about $150, and will do more than a coil winder could ask.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Evans View Post
                      it will go from being a pile of parts to winding its first coil the same day.
                      If it's only going to take the one day to design, build and do all the fixtures for a CNC winder, why not build it out and get back to the group with results of your first wind on Monday. No musing about a CNC winder project for $200, just doing it. Then there'll be something to talk about and a determinable pricing on all the actual components used to get it to the point where it has actually wound some pickups.

That would be a cool approach! Get'r Done!
                      Last edited by kayakerca; 05-31-2013, 12:18 PM.
                      Take Care,

Jim. . .
                      VA3DEF

Comment

• Oh no! You got me! Having other priorities in my life aside from dropping everything to impress you has thwarted my attempt to build an affordable CNC winder in a day. I only said that when started it would only take a day, but you outsmarted me and quoted me out of context. Damn! Sorry guys, I guess that's it until I have free time aside from wedding planning and finishing a couple of guitar builds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Evans View Post
                          Oh no! You got me! Having other priorities in my life aside from dropping everything to impress you has thwarted my attempt to build an affordable CNC winder in a day. I only said that when started it would only take a day, but you outsmarted me and quoted me out of context. Damn! Sorry guys, I guess that's it until I have free time aside from wedding planning and finishing a couple of guitar builds.
                          C'mon Man! Just use some of that time that you waste sleeping.

If it's going to turn out as nice as your CNC router. I'll wait.

Comment

Working...
                          X