Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japan PAF's fetch $600 easy ( Dry Z's by Greco)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan PAF's fetch $600 easy ( Dry Z's by Greco)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Greco-Z-dry-pick...QQcmdZViewItem

This is no BS folks,, the Dry Z's have a history of fetching 600 to 800

worth looking into whats inside and replicating ???

I should buy them - take a look inside and resale them.. but I don't do any Humbuckers.. I still like the Leesona wound Duncans too much..
    Let's all Close shop and Go Fishing!, the heck with everything today!

Dry Z in an 81 SA1200 = ( ES 335)
    http://www.supload.com/listen?s=FO70B2OWKDHP
    http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PM6ODXANYTS0

http://www.plankspankers.co.uk/Greco...d/IMG_6532.JPG

I pickup up a EGF 1000 ( 1981 Les Paul Flame top Greco - that came from the factory with Dimarzios PAF - both 8k - coils were .25 apart - wind was loose poly wire 42.. magnets were degaussed about 200point.

I rewound them
    used Fomvar on the screw coils and PE on the slug coils
    I over wound the slug side 500 turns - the wind was tight and bending the bobbins
    next - I fully charged the A-5s
    the neck was 7.5 the bridge was 8.3k - I loaned it to a friend to try for a month and report back - because I just don't understand PAFs at all..

I was trying to do some of that Peter Green wind that I think I read about here - but I did not want the out of phase thing on the LP..
    they sounded alright - not sure if its a killer or not - ot had good range and all - I'm just not in-tune to PAFS?? they sound like theres too much happening at once -- its the two coils I guess?
    Last edited by pupoholic; 07-24-2008, 04:35 AM.

Comment

heres my 1981 - long tenon - full 1958 "fat back" neck -
      funny the stickers were still on the Dimarzios 28 years later -

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...EFG1000023.jpg
      Last edited by pupoholic; 07-24-2008, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Why study someone else's copies? I've been obsessing on PAF's just about since I started. There is a ton of things in those babies that are different than a stack of StewMac parts, that stuff won't get you there. Wire and magnets won't get you there. The best thing I can tell you is get an early patent sticker no later than '62 and study every inch of it, have the metal parts analyzed, pay attention to every detail. Go to YouTube and type in SDPickups and watch the two PF Star videos and you'll see what I"ve been doing most of this time. Real hard to have gotten this far and to get closer is going to take alot more money and time, and in the end I think there are some things that can't be duplicated 100% I"m somewhat also limited by not having amps like the old classics nor a really well made LP, just cheap junk test guitars, so my sound clips probably are lacking in that respect.

That Bloomfield clip in video one on his bridge pickup is still somewhat of a mystery, I haven't heard another PAF bridge sound exactly like that, wish I knew what amp he was using too. Just because that guy wants $600 for those pickups doesn't mean someone will pay that much, these greed mongers try to drive vintage prices up by posting buy it now auctions ridiculous prices to see if anyone is stupid enough to go for it; if someone buys at that price then the rest of the dealers jump on the bandwagon and start posting the same prices, I see that all the time. Some guy posted a good condition PAF for almost $4000 recently for a single pickup, just fishing. Crazy....
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I'm 50.. we had PAF's as kids - we hated them - we used to mail order this kit from Guitar Player magazine - that was a ceramic magnet - we would switch magnets - springs would fly across the room as we attempted to swap the pups - we would use springs out of a ink pen - cause we'd loose the springs -

I just have no use today for PAF's -- the neck limits what I can do with a single coil and the bridge is even worse..

when I have to get them - I just get Duncans stuff and swap the magnets to full power 5's - I have a 7.2k Antiquity neck here with a full power 5 - that sounds like Randy Bachman's famed 59 lester.. -
          even that pup does not suit what I need to get done --
          like I say its single coils here and I do not get any of this PAF
          worship stuff -- I think all PAF's & humbuckers are less then the perfect guitar pickup.

Comment

Well, the reason I like PAFs is because they are the most single coil sounding of the buckers. The rest of humbuckerdom is of little interest to me. The only guitar with buckers I ever had that I liked was a '64 SG with early patents in it and I liked it because it had clarity and bite. There's a vocal quality to them that if you get it right is very expressive, Duane's guitar had that and the '62 I have has that in spades. The other thing that got me interested in them is because everyone says they can't be duplicated blah blah, I took that as a personal challenge. Duncan did a real good job with his, all the details right etc. Nice job.
            Yeah, I buy alot of old buckers on Ebay and more often than not they show up with old 70s hot rod ceramics in them, pretty funny. I never thought I"d be obsessed with humbuckers four years ago, but my LP's are about all I play now, totally nuts.....
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post

That Bloomfield clip in video one on his bridge pickup is still somewhat of a mystery, I haven't heard another PAF bridge sound exactly like that, wish I knew what amp he was using too.
              Just found this for you Possum, sounds like he used fender twin reverb's, and a Guild Thunderbird amp

http://www.mikebloomfield.com/artifacts11.htm

http://www.mikebloomfield.com/artifacts12.htm

http://www.mikebloomfield.com/artifacts13.htm
              Last edited by greenfingers; 07-24-2008, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Wow, scary how he (Michael) cites Roy as a tone monster!, yeeouwza, the Roy albums I have all sound like shit.

Don't get me wrong he (Roy) was a masterful player, one of the best, just (IMHO) his setup sounded horrible.
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by pupoholic View Post
                  I'm 50.. we had PAF's as kids - we hated them - we used to mail order this kit from Guitar Player magazine - that was a ceramic magnet - we would switch magnets - springs would fly across the room as we attempted to swap the pups - we would use springs out of a ink pen - cause we'd loose the springs - .
                  Isn't that a hoot! I'm 50 also. My friend (who's in his early 60's) and I had a band back in the 70's, and he had a late 50's Gold Top that was refinished and had early patent label pickups installed, replacing the P-90's. It was that way when he got it.

He didn't like the pickups... so he replaced them with Dimarzio PAF's which had just come on the market! I had those old humbuckers for years, and eventually stacked the two on top of each other, mangled up the baseplate to accommodate the extra hight, and put them in my old Sekovia LP copy, which also had a '72 PAF in the neck position which I had rewound.

I wish I had those pickups now!
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    Isn't that a hoot! I'm 50 also. My friend (who's in his early 60's) and I had a band back in the 70's, and he had a late 50's Gold Top that was refinished and had early patent label pickups installed, replacing the P-90's. It was that way when he got it.

He didn't like the pickups... so he replaced them with Dimarzio PAF's which had just come on the market! I had those old humbuckers for years, and eventually stacked the two on top of each other, mangled up the baseplate to accommodate the extra hight, and put them in my old Sekovia LP copy, which also had a '72 PAF in the neck position which I had rewound.

I wish I had those pickups now!

yea - we had no idea - i think when we got more power from the pups - our cheapo amps sounded better and we were happy- i wonder how many guys switched to pups with more output to get that bigger amp effect? - was cheaper to swap pups then buy a Marshall -- we all had 100.00 crap amps..

Comment

I'm 40. As a teen I took guitar lessons from a local music shop. They had a junky SG that was stripped and refinished with tung oil. I would use it during guitar lessons, it sounded great. I mentioned how great it sounded to the guitar teacher and he said it sounded great because it had Paf's. Paf's have always been my favorite humbucker tone.
                      They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                      www.throbak.com
                      Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                        Wow, scary how he (Michael) cites Roy as a tone monster!, yeeouwza, the Roy albums I have all sound like shit.

Don't get me wrong he (Roy) was a masterful player, one of the best, just (IMHO) his setup sounded horrible.

yea right, your a funny dude, LOL
                        the most worshiped Tele tone on planet earth is "Scary and sounds like shit"

and your point or contribution to this PAF topic .. / PAF thread is what again?

Comment

and your point or contribution to this PAF topic .. / PAF thread is what again?
                          Hey now, don't make me pull this car over.

After reading this thread this morning, I got out my double-CD set of the Roy collection to listen to again today, in fact I still have it in the CD player as I type and gee whiz, oh-so-sorry if it insults you but I think it's very shrill tone, yes, he play's like no other, I like him so much I bought his recordings, full price, and I'm quite glad...

I OWN MOST OF HIS (Roy B.) STUFF

...and, in addition...

IT'S MY OPINION

...his tone is quite shrill and isn't my favorite...

IT'S MY OPINION

...relative to Bloomfield's (PAF) tone...
                          (for those who missed my point or contribution)

IT'S MY OPINION

...it's shrill and thin...

IT'S MY OPINION

...and so now you wanna argue, about...

MY OPINION

WTF?

Disclaimer: the preceeding was an opinion, it was only an opinion, in the event of a real emergency oxygen masks will fall from the ceiling, you may now relax and tilt your chair back, smoke 'em if ya got 'em, roll a fattie, slam a few Jagers or whatever you do. I am not a person of interest, nor was I there when it happened, I do not play a doctor on TV. Please read the label before use, do not read this reply if you suffer from high-tension, high-blood pressure, high-n-mighty, megalomania or any other internet-message-board symptoms such as self-centeredness, visions-o-grandur'ness, lastword-i-ness, I-know-it-all-and-you-dont'ness, Iforgotmorethanyouknow'ness, or any similar opinion squashing attitude disorder that may exist prior to reading this opinion or any opinion on the internet other than you own. Please seek help immediately if any internet opinion upsets you in any way, or if your angst lasts for more than 4 hours, call the dumbass-arguing-on-the-internet hotline at 1-800-who-gives-a-shit.

PS, sorry if I touched a nerve, it's only my opinion, nothing to get upset about.

{EDIT}

Word-up, for those reading this thread, know that after exchanging PM's with Don this evening I now understand where Don's comming from on this subject, I didn't know about him and the Roy guitar, or his pickups, and meant no harm or insult to him when I made my original comment....Nuff Said
                          Last edited by RedHouse; 07-25-2008, 05:39 AM.
                          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Roy Buchanan had the "Marmite" tone of the guitar world. you like it or you don't. I love Marmite but didn't like his sound. Dont know if the anaolgy between his tone and Marmite works with members in the U.S? Just get a pot of it, put it on some butterd toast and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by greenfingers View Post
                              Roy Buchanan had the "Marmite" tone of the guitar world. you like it or you don't. I love Marmite but didn't like his sound. Dont know if the anaolgy between his tone and Marmite works with members in the U.S? Just get a pot of it, put it on some butterd toast and see what you think.
                              Is that like Boveril, or am I thinking of something else?.
                              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Working...
                              X