This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So That's what a gig looks like.
    Looks like you could go fishing behind DS & the Bandstand.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      So That's what a gig looks like.
      Looks like you could go fishing behind DS & the Bandstand.
      That's Lake Musconetcong in Netcong NJ.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
        The nut is moved 2mm closer to the 1st fret ( this is the real secret, moving the nut )
        Right, and that's also what Buzz Feiten and Earvana do. That's because the strings are stiffer at the nut and bridge and that can cause them to sound sharp. So you move it closer to the 1st fret which makes the lower notes flatter.

What can actually fix that is using a zero fret.

The other tuning issues are artifacts of the equal tempered scale, which causes the 3rds to be sharp and the 5ths are flat, and none of the intervals are ever truly in tune, except octaves, because none of the other intervals are exact ratios of integers. So it's normal. Pianos don't play in tune either.

To really make a guitar play with just intonation, so that every interval plays in tune, you have to do something like this:

http://www.fidolab.org/temperament/
        Last edited by David Schwab; 07-21-2012, 04:07 AM.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          To really make a guitar play with just intonation, so that every interval plays in tune, you have to do something like this:

Fido Lab - Temperaments
          If I had to play that fretboard I would need to install the 1/2" diameter side dots the neck.

Well, I'm off to build a tapped Strat neck pickup. It's been a while. Lets see if I can remember.
          3 eyelets. Eyelet 1, Start end,7,800W #42 PE to eyelet #2. Start second coil from eyelet #2 then fill the rest of the bobbin up with #42 PE and tie finish to eyelet #3.

Wish me luck.
          Rob.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            So you move it closer to the 1st fret which makes the lower notes flatter.
            Yes Dave I've seen that and many other mad scientist fret placements, it can get out of hand. To me the ear is somewhat forgiving depending on the person, in my case I can live with everything except the open A and E chords which are just impossible to tolerate. The moving of the nut is actually flattening ALL the frets by the amount the nut is moved effectively compressing the scale somewhat, this to my ear is a wonderful result given the small amount of modification. I'm just happy to be able to tolerate my open A and E chords now and really, if you try and do more than that you just make matters worse in my experience.

Comment

• Today, I've been trying to finish up some hanging around existing projects.
              You know the ones you have spread all the shop table, that you keep putting off, because of more pressing stuff.
              I have a parts caster that I rewound a Neck blade. Have it ready to wax Pot tomorrow.
              I put another coat of paint on the body of the above parts caster.
              I have it sold to two different guys. The one that pulls out the most Ben Franklin's first, is the winner.
              I rewound and potted a Tele set that both pickups were grounded to the poles.
              I tore them apart and taped them good before I rewound them this time.
              I put a bare nickel cover on the neck pickup. The local vintage guys sure like the more vintage look of the bare nickel.
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

• Not a lot going on today, I mostly worked on updating my website. Too hot to work on pickups today 106F. (that s 41C Ward) No way to make measurements in my shop today. It's a different world up here. So I worked on my website and hurt my own ears tying to learn a little on that damned old steel guitar I bought.
                www.sonnywalton.com
                How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• 41C, eek, it's 10C here, I hate it that hot but 10C sux.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                    Not a lot going on today, I mostly worked on updating my website. Too hot to work on pickups today 106F. (that s 41C Ward) No way to make measurements in my shop today. It's a different world up here. So I worked on my website and hurt my own ears tying to learn a little on that damned old steel guitar I bought.
                    It was around 100F in my shop while I was working on everthing.
                    I have an overhead fan that really helps, keeps the air moving.
                    So what's going on?
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                      If I had to play that fretboard I would need to install the 1/2" diameter side dots the neck.
                      The trick is to learn to not look at the neck while playing.

Comment

• SonnyW is right it has been way to quiet today.
                        I did a little dabbling on the guitar I painted.
                        The bridge pickup for some reason was microphonic, so I repotted it.
                        I spent most of the day at a Chevy dealer, I bought my wife a like new 2010 Impala.
                        So What else is going on these days?
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

• I spent the morning out running errands, and in the afternoon I had a customer come and pick up his J45 that I made a new saddle for. He also brought me another of his guitars to set up, and he brought his amp over to try out with one of my strat pickups. He liked the sound of the pickup but he didn't make any commitment to buy one. He wants to go back and play his other one again. What I think he is after is me to make a copy of the one that he has that he likes. Can do, but we will have to see where that all goes later. Other than that it has been just plain too hot and quiet around here.

I liked the photo of your strat that you painted. I guess you must have got a fantastic price for it seeing you are buying a new car for the wife
                          www.sonnywalton.com
                          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                            I liked the photo of your strat that you painted. I guess you must have got a fantastic price for it seeing you are buying a new car for the wife
                            Now That's Funny!!! lol
                            So I guess I didn't need to rob that Bank!
                            Just Kidding.
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

• New car for the wife, eek. No wonder you want cheap wire. I forked out for 5lb of the mojo HFV and a few other bit n pieces.
                              Terry, how'd you paint that reddy, looks pretty decent from afar.
                              I've just finished the last coats of clear over a candy tangerine strat. I put a tad more red in the mix so it looks reddish in ordinary light but goes to orange in the sun and also changes from red to orange when you move it around. I'm planning a Mary Kaye for my swamp ash strat, today I am heat gunning the finish to get it off the swampy, then will be doing the Mary Kaye if I get a couple of good days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                                I forked out for 5lb of the mojo HFV and a few other bit n pieces.
                                Mary Kaye if I get a couple of good days.
                                What are you going to do with all that wire?
                                That makes two rolls, if I can count right.
                                I hope you didn't have to ship it UPS!
                                T
                                Last edited by big_teee; 07-26-2012, 02:48 PM.
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X