Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing big going on. I am almost finished with the 335. Just waiting for the fingerboard oil to dry for one last coat before putting it back together. I was a little.. no a lot.. disappointed in the way the Gibson CS did that fingerboard. For a new CS model, upwards of $3k you would think they would level the frets. I don't think they were ever even leveled at all, just pounded in, plus you can see a sloppy superglue job on half of them. I didnt think they glued the frets but it is obvious they did on this one. And the finish on the fingerboard was really rough. Other than that, it is a real nice guitar and with the new bone nut it sounds terrific. I will probably photograph the nut and put it on my shop's facebook page blog next. I've got one more day to wait before sanding and buffing my parts strat that I'm working on, so I might start in on the single coil sized humbucker design this afternoon.

Edit: OK so I got the single coil sized one done tonight. Here's big brother wound with 43 and little brother wound to fairly similar specs with 44. I will have to wait until I pot the smaller one to test it, but so far so good. Both of these are supposed to go in the same guitar.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2258.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	825372
    Last edited by SonnyW; 07-06-2012, 06:17 AM. Reason: added photo and comment
    www.sonnywalton.com
    How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
      Nothing big going on. I am almost finished with the 335. Just waiting for the fingerboard oil to dry for one last coat before putting it back together. I was a little.. no a lot.. disappointed in the way the Gibson CS did that fingerboard. For a new CS model, upwards of $3k you would think they would level the frets. I don't think they were ever even leveled at all, just pounded in, plus you can see a sloppy superglue job on half of them. I didnt think they glued the frets but it is obvious they did on this one. And the finish on the fingerboard was really rough. Other than that, it is a real nice guitar and with the new bone nut it sounds terrific. I will probably photograph the nut and put it on my shop's facebook page blog next. I've got one more day to wait before sanding and buffing my parts strat that I'm working on, so I might start in on the single coil sized humbucker design this afternoon.

Edit: OK so I got the single coil sized one done tonight. Here's big brother wound with 43 and little brother wound to fairly similar specs with 44. I will have to wait until I pot the smaller one to test it, but so far so good. Both of these are supposed to go in the same guitar.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]19095[/ATTACH]
      Those look nice.
      Surprised to hear that the Gibson CS can't level a fret.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Those look nice.
        Surprised to hear that the Gibson CS can't level a fret.
        T
        Thanks T. Yeah, me too about the CS. I think they have slacked off some. The other thing about the fretboard that surprised me was that the binding did not cover the ends of the frets. That really surprised me on an instrument of this quality level. I thought that was a big thing with Gibson. I have a CS ES 339 and it is bound on the fret ends, and I expected this one would be too. By the way the owner really liked the guitar and he is going to keep it anyway. The deal with the customer was to change the string spacing and see if he liked it and if he didn't then put the old nut back and he would send it back to Gibson. The Larry Carlton model neck is real narrow which is why the string spacing was tight. But I was able to get it almost to normal and he was happy enough and decided to keep the guitar. Even with the little differences I mentioned though I still liked it and it is still a hell of a nice guitar.
        www.sonnywalton.com
        How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Anyone heard from Ward?
          He was stopping by some.
          He must be working on a new guitar?
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Anyone heard from Ward?
            He was stopping by some.
            He must be working on a new guitar?
            T
            How's it goin T, no new guitar, I've just discovered that just about all my SSS strats have at least one shorted coil, so now I have some serious rewinding to do. I usually tape the bobbins but still the coil is shorting on the end mag/s. Am I winding too tight, I used masking tape on a couple yesterday and they survived the potting process. After all this time, hiding under chair big time now, I never would check to see if the coils have shorted to the poles but sure will from now on.
            It's kind of a blessing really coz now I can look forward to better sounding pickups, well at least the ones that are shorted.
            I wound up a set using the Sensmag A5 rods and to my horror they are quite lame sounding, the top end seems dull, so to hell with Sensmag, first their .195 rods are actually .193 and now I find the same rods sound dull. I ordered some mags from Shea at Magnetic Hold, really great Guy to deal with, will ship to Oz for bugger all and his prices while a tad over Sen's are still really good and you save on shipping and no wire transfer fees coz he takes paypal, so in the end he is way cheaper. So now I have all these .187 flats from mojo I'll try n jam the .195s into, I can't find a drill bit the right size but there's always a way.
            What else, oh yeah, I checked out Remington for wire, oh great, only $250 to ship a 6lb spool to Oz. You'd think I live on the forkin' moon.
            Winding coils in winter, fun fun fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
              How's it goin T, no new guitar, I've just discovered that just about all my SSS strats have at least one shorted coil, so now I have some serious rewinding to do. I usually tape the bobbins but still the coil is shorting on the end mag/s. Am I winding too tight, I used masking tape on a couple yesterday and they survived the potting process. After all this time, hiding under chair big time now, I never would check to see if the coils have shorted to the poles but sure will from now on.
              It's kind of a blessing really coz now I can look forward to better sounding pickups, well at least the ones that are shorted.
              I wound up a set using the Sensmag A5 rods and to my horror they are quite lame sounding, the top end seems dull, so to hell with Sensmag, first their .195 rods are actually .193 and now I find the same rods sound dull. I ordered some mags from Shea at Magnetic Hold, really great Guy to deal with, will ship to Oz for bugger all and his prices while a tad over Sen's are still really good and you save on shipping and no wire transfer fees coz he takes paypal, so in the end he is way cheaper. So now I have all these .187 flats from mojo I'll try n jam the .195s into, I can't find a drill bit the right size but there's always a way.
              What else, oh yeah, I checked out Remington for wire, oh great, only $250 to ship a 6lb spool to Oz. You'd think I live on the forkin' moon.
              Winding coils in winter, fun fun fun.
              The shorted magnets are always fun.
              If you ground the start leads, you shouldn't lose much even if they do short.
              Just a few turns.
              I Use Floral waxed tape.
              Just one wrap.
              I stretch it just a bit, so it is near the same width as the bobbin.
              I've had good luck with the floral tape.
              I have a couple of tele P/U set down at the shop, they are both shorted.
              I left them for now.
              They still measure out hot enough.
              I reverse wound one of them so I can ground the starts.
              Good to hear from you.
              T
              Terry

Comment

• Kapton Tape

Ward, see if you can find some Kapton Tape in your area.
                I use 1/2" for Strat bobbins. It's only around .003" thick, high dielectric properties and it easily takes the heat from wax potting.

In the states I can get a 1/2" X 90 foot roll for $5 delivered.

Been using it for ages...... no shorts

Rob.
                Last edited by Stratz; 07-10-2012, 01:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                  I use 1/2" for Strat bobbins. It's only around .002" thick, high dielectric properties and it takes the heat from wax potting very well too.

Rob.
                  Where do you get it?
                  Is that the amber looking tape.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Where do you get it?
                    Is that the amber looking tape.
                    T
                    Yes, it's amber in color.

I bought what I have now from ebay, (heres a link to some) I got the last rolls I used from my father many years ago. A Strat bobbin only takes about 7" so 90' lasts a long time.

Comment

Yes, it's amber in color.

I bought what I have now from ebay, (heres a link to some) I got the last rolls I used from my father many years ago. A Strat bobbin only takes about 7" so 90' lasts a long time.
                      Is this about the same thing?
                      Kapton Tape, Kapton in Stock - ULINE
                      Terry

Comment

Is this about the same thing?
                        Kapton Tape, Kapton in Stock - ULINE
                        yup, but it's quite a bit more $$$ than I paid.
                        Check the previous link I posted from ebay, thats the same stuff I use.

Comment

yup, but it's quite a bit more $$$ than I paid.
                          Check the previous link I posted from ebay, thats the same stuff I use.
                          I'll leave that to you professionals, and stick to my floral tape.
                          I can buy it locally. I use it for a couple of other uses too.
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

• Here ya go Terry, $6 shipped.

Comment

I use 1/2" for Strat bobbins. It's only around .003" thick, high dielectric properties and it easily takes the heat from wax potting.

Rob.
                              Thanks Rob, I just ordered 2 x 12mm from good ol China for less than $10 shipped.
                              Nic.

Comment

• Good deal Ward. With the 12mm you will have a little more width than a standard Strat size bobbin to create a small lip which will keep the magnet wire from getting between the tape and the flat work.

Comment

Working...
                                X