cnc winder controller board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Elepro- View Post

about motor with leadscrew: my controller work only with 1mm pitch leadscrew......
    Is this because it's a chore to get a PIC to do floating point?

I recently wrote a PIC program that essentially does what your doing here... except my winder had an encoder wheel on the main turning motor (because my main turning motor wasn't a stepper).

I'm fairly new to programming PICs, & found that trying to get PICs to do floating point was brainache, so therefore wimped out & did the 'ratio' calculation (no of encoder 'pulses' from the main motor -> steps on the traversal motor) on a spreadsheet & then input these manually into the PIC at the point of useage!

Comment

• Originally posted by peskywinnets View Post
      Is this because it's a chore to get a PIC to do floating point?
      no, it's not a problem with calculations....

only i already had too variables and i did not add another one....
      .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
      .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

• these are small nema17 but good motor at very good price.... i should try....
        only i don't understand diference between them:

Lin Engineering 4218L-01-10 bipolar stepper motor | Alltronics

Lin Engineering 4218L-01-11 bipolar stepper motor | Alltronics

Comment

these are small nema17 but good motor at very good price.... i should try....
          only i don't understand diference between them:

Lin Engineering 4218L-01-10 bipolar stepper motor | Alltronics

Lin Engineering 4218L-01-11 bipolar stepper motor | Alltronics
          Seems a little small for attaching a bobbin flange to. Perhaps that pulley idea might be needed after all.

Is this one in spec: Anaheim-Automation-23L004S-LW8 the shaft is 1/16" bigger.

Or this one: Lin-Engineering-5718M-02E-03
          Last edited by RedHouse; 09-10-2009, 02:20 PM.
          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
            Seems a little small for attaching a bobbin flange to. Perhaps that pulley idea might be needed after all.
            same technical specifications of my motors.... now with 1X transmission i go at 600rpm.... perhaps with 2x transmission i should have 800 or 1000 rpm....
            i think it's very good for this price....

Comment

• Elepro, lets flesh-out a min/max spec.

Please fill in the information for these parameters below:

Nema#
              Unipolar or Bipolar
              Amps
              Ohms/Phase
              Deg/Step
              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Is this one in spec: Anaheim-Automation-23L004S-LW8 the shaft is 1/16" bigger.

Or this one: Lin-Engineering-5718M-02E-03
                these motors are hibryd (they say unipolar but it's wrong)they have 8 wires so you can wiring them for unipolar-bipolar series or bipolar parallel driving... watch datasheet

the better wiring for high rpm is bipolar parallel but you need 2X phase current then 4amp for the first one and 6 amp for the second.... too much

in bipolar series you can have same torque at slow rpm with less current but you need high voltage for have high speed

Comment

Elepro, lets flesh-out a min/max spec.

Please fill in the information for these parameters below:

Nema#
                  Unipolar or Bipolar
                  Amps
                  Ohms/Phase
                  Deg/Step
                  Nema# --------- 17 or 23 (it is only external measure)

Unipolar or Bipolar ------ bipolar or hibryd (4-6-8 wires).... no unipolar (5 wires)

Amps ---------- it's a minor detail.... it depends on your driver....sure if you have a 2amp driver you can't search 4 amp motors .... torque is important... at least 75oz-in 0.5 N-m

Ohms/Phase------- smaller than 3

Deg/Step------ 1,8° (200 step per revolution) 200 * 1,8° =360°

Comment

• OK then, that seems like a good starting point on the motors.
                    Back to the drivers.
                    here's a link to the CL ad for the Dragon drivers which are capable of 2.2A

Stepper Motor Driver Single Axis

When new these probably cost <$200 ea so $22 is a GREAT deal, I don't think you can build anything cheaper that includes the power supply. He had 60 available and shipping was $16 for two. We'll need two.

The fellow's name is Tim and he's an engineer by trade and loves to tinker. I told him about our project and he's all for it.
                    He's got some 80 oz/in steppers for sale for $12 ea which seems fair but he needs to look up the specs for me.

Comment

• David, I think it's a good and cheap solution.... if you will have motors specifications post here... but 80 oz-in could be enough

i read datasheet and the driver it's ok with my controller.... it can supply my controller too.... you need only: 2 motors 2 driver 1 transformer and the controller....

bye

Comment

• I've forgotten how we will be setting bobbin width limits. I use at least two thicknesses of bobbin flatwork and many bobbin widths so i'll be making frequent adjustments at both ends. I hope it won't be difficult to get in and change those parameters.

Are sliding limit switches too clumsy?

A linear actuator with 1mm pitch leadscrew may be tough to find for everyone over here. Can we dump some other variable to accommodate the leadscrew var?

Can we chose a different thread pitch that's cheap and available over here?

Since we don't need the full 600 RPM on the leadscrew, how high can the Volts be?.

What force do we actually need to move the wire and tensioner side to side? (Tensioner could be fixed so just the wire guide needs to move.)

Comment

you need only: 2 motors 2 driver 1 transformer and the controller....

bye
                          If the drivers can supply the controller, why the transformer?

Comment

• Originally posted by David King View Post
                            OK then, that seems like a good starting point on the motors.
                            Back to the drivers.
                            here's a link to the CL ad for the Dragon drivers which are capable of 2.2A

Stepper Motor Driver Single Axis

When new these probably cost <$200 ea so $22 is a GREAT deal, I don't think you can build anything cheaper that includes the power supply. He had 60 available and shipping was $16 for two. We'll need two.

The fellow's name is Tim and he's an engineer by trade and loves to tinker. I told him about our project and he's all for it.
                            He's got some 80 oz/in steppers for sale for $12 ea which seems fair but he needs to look up the specs for me.
                            In the description it says "Have a need for a LPT controlled drive" we don't have LPT port on our Elepro Ctrl board, we have only these connections:

DIR_TRAV
                            STEP_TRAV
                            DIR_MAIN
                            STEP_MAIN
                            LIMIT_SW_L
                            LIMIT_SW_R
                            +5V
                            GND

David, can you ask the guy if it can use alternative inputs than LPT port?
                            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Great question Brad,
                              I got a pretty clear pdf file of the unit's specs and instructions which I'll attach below. There is no mention of LPT port and none shown in the diagrams or photo in the ad. See page 4 for a list of inputs and outputs:

Step out
                              Step in
                              +5V out
                              Half/full step select
                              CW/CCW select
                              Enable
                              Ground (OV)
                              Fast osc select
                              Slow osc select
                              Ground (OV)

Motor connections for 4,6 & 8 wire steppers (no 5 wire)

I hope we can match up what we need here... Of course we have two sets of all of the above since we need two drivers, one for each stepper.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by David King View Post
                                If the drivers can supply the controller, why the transformer?
                                Page 3 of the PDF: "Supply Voltage (Input): 40VDC or 28/120/220 VAC with step-down transformer"

Originally posted by David King View Post
                                Great question Brad,
                                I got a pretty clear pdf file of the unit's specs and instructions which I'll attach below. There is no mention of LPT port and none shown in the diagrams or photo in the ad. See page 4 for a list of inputs and outputs:

Step out
                                Step in
                                +5V out
                                Half/full step select
                                CW/CCW select
                                Enable
                                Ground (OV)
                                Fast osc select
                                Slow osc select
                                Ground (OV)

Motor connections for 4,6 & 8 wire steppers (no 5 wire)

I hope we can match up what we need here... Of course we have two sets of all of the above since we need two drivers, one for each stepper.
                                Looks like it might be right (to me) as far as I can tell with my new limited understanding of stepper motors and coltrollers.
                                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Working...
                                X