Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behringer DDX3216 - Trying to repair, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termac
    replied
    Still working through the issue mentioned above. Have seen some references to service schematics and manuals, tried the links but they are dead. Does anyone have either that are downloadable?

Thanks for reading.

Termac

Leave a comment:

• gassanov
    replied
    Thx all for the advice...hope i can find the replacement memory in my county (indonesia) ic 24-32 it looks like an old edo ram. I give you report soon after i got the chip. Thx again. Sorry for my bad english.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse
    replied
    Originally posted by S2udio View Post
    Those RAM memory chips are pretty robust .
    I have seen those BOOT memory errors before........from what i remember ,turned out to be the Elan microprocessor,
    I would recommend a reflow of the micro ,then replace if no joy.
    ? We are talking about the CPU RAM(s) rather than the Flash ROM(s) ?!
    Hi,
    One of my DDXs has a little defect on the DSP card. There is a little "klicking sound" on FX1 on some effects. I would guess it is some problem with one of the memory chip on the DSP board, but i'm not shure. Perhaps you know anything about that? Besides that, the mixer works fine.

Leave a comment:

• S2udio
    replied
    Those RAM memory chips are pretty robust .
    I have seen those BOOT memory errors before........from what i remember ,turned out to be the Elan microprocessor,
    I would recommend a reflow of the micro ,then replace if no joy.
    ? We are talking about the CPU RAM(s) rather than the Flash ROM(s) ?!
    Last edited by S2udio; 10-02-2012, 04:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• km6xz
    replied
    It will be easier and less destructive to probably good ICs to use Chip-Quik SMD Removal using a Chip Quik kit - YouTube very low temperature solder to simple wet all the leads with the solder and pick the part off with your figures without damaging it or the pc board. Those chips would each take about 5-10 second of work to remove and yield an undamaged board and chip that can be reinstalled if you find it is not the problem. That and hot air are the only two ways of properly removing such a large chip. The same low temp solder is very useful in removing heavier parts that are solder to ground planes/heat sinks, such as a pot or switch, jacks and others that could take a lot of heat applied to both sides of the board to remove if using a conventional desoldering technique such as braid or solder sucker.
    Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Nisse
    replied
    Originally posted by gassanov View Post
    Yes...i already re soldering all the memory chip...i foget the ic label but it looks like a chip on the computer ram. But the problem still there. I guest i have to changes the memory chip righ?
    Hi,
    Well, if you have verified that all pins on the power connector on the mainboard have the right voltage and the VCC on the memory chip (be careful here while measuring here), I would try to replace the memory chips. It can be a little bit tricky to remove the old memory chips, but if you got hold of new chips, it's sometimes easier to cut of pin by pin on the old mem-chip with a small sharp nipper. When that is done, you can remove the capsule and the remove pin by pin with the soldering iron. (This is not a beginners operation)
    Now it's just to put the new on place! (c;

Leave a comment:

• gassanov
    replied
    Originally posted by Termac View Post
    Hi

This thread is really great, trying to work my way though an issue with my DDX.

Started to get so random "hiss" noise from main outputs about to gigs ago, thought it was the main PA was noisy. On the last gig the whole analogue audio level drop to about a tenth of normal output then jumped back up to normal level at random times and had to swap out the console. It did so when up to normal operating temps and passing a normal audio stream. VU meters did not show the drop just. I suspect somewhere in the DA stream or board or in the Op Amps on the output. Maybe the normal dry joint. Am reasonably competent technically and have normal diagnostic gear, but need some assistance from those that have dealt with these mixers, to provide some level of guidance of where to start.

I love this mixer due to its size and capability for small jobs. If any one would like to chime in it would be most appreciated.

Termac
    Open your ddx, remove any cable from psu to all board, clean both pin and plug it again. I hope it will work. If note, check your psu capasitor and also re solder all the transistor. Goodluck

Leave a comment:

• gassanov
    replied
    Yes...i already re soldering all the memory chip...i foget the ic label but it looks like a chip on the computer ram. But the problem still there. I guest i have to changes the memory chip righ?

Leave a comment:

• Termac
    replied
    Hi

This thread is really great, trying to work my way though an issue with my DDX.

Started to get so random "hiss" noise from main outputs about to gigs ago, thought it was the main PA was noisy. On the last gig the whole analogue audio level drop to about a tenth of normal output then jumped back up to normal level at random times and had to swap out the console. It did so when up to normal operating temps and passing a normal audio stream. VU meters did not show the drop just. I suspect somewhere in the DA stream or board or in the Op Amps on the output. Maybe the normal dry joint. Am reasonably competent technically and have normal diagnostic gear, but need some assistance from those that have dealt with these mixers, to provide some level of guidance of where to start.

I love this mixer due to its size and capability for small jobs. If any one would like to chime in it would be most appreciated.

Termac

Leave a comment:

• Nisse
    replied
    Hi,
    It sounds like you have some problems with your memory chips on the main board.
    Have you verifyed that all pins on the memory chips are properly soldered to the main board?
    You might need a good magnifying glass to see it.

/Nisse

Leave a comment:

• gassanov
    replied
    I got this problem " memory test error please contact your local dealer "
    What. Already did is: changes some capasitor on the psu unit and also replace all the psu with my other working ddx but the error message stil apears. Please hel and sorry for my bad english, thx in advance

Leave a comment:

• S2udio
    replied
    Originally posted by Nisse View Post
    Hi,
    So how do you replace your capacitors if you don't dismount your PSU?
    Hmm.............. You remove it,and take the lid of,then remove the board,.?

Warning ...if you are not experinced in repairing SMPSU's....leave it alone or find someone who is,....They are lethal in the wrong hands ,get something wrong and you will kill
    A section at the flick of the mains switch. !!!

Well, does anybody know the difference between the V112.bex and V109.bex? For me it looks like V112.bex is a newer firmware, but on behringes homepage it says:
    V109.bex = Latest firmware
    V112.bex = Audio software (surround software)
    Just install 1.12

Do I need to install them both?
    How can I see the installed version(s)
    Its not possible to "install both", 1.12 is just an update for surround ,so not nessesary but usefull.

I have quite a few Snapshot/ configs I use , so mine gets backed up at least once a month

The default factory reset defaults the com port to MIDI communication,....you need to set it to "RS232" manualy, in FILES/EXCHANGE.(VIA)

Here you will see the file version......!
    Last edited by S2udio; 09-08-2012, 06:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse
    replied
    Originally posted by soundmandoug View Post
    Further to my previous post regarding improving airflow through the PSU of the DDX3216, here are some pics of the mod I did on both my mixers:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]19937[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19938[/ATTACH]
    Hi,
    So how do you replace your capacitors if you don't dismount your PSU?
    By the way, I think you have to clean your PSU-fan a bit!

Well, does anybody know the difference between the V112.bex and V109.bex? For me it looks like V112.bex is a newer firmware, but on behringes homepage it says:
    V109.bex = Latest firmware
    V112.bex = Audio software (surround software)

Do I need to install them both?
    How can I see the installed version(s)

Ps.
    If anyone needs the DDXUpdate, I can share it for you.

/Nisse
    Last edited by Nisse; 09-07-2012, 07:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• soundmandoug
    replied
    Further to my previous post regarding improving airflow through the PSU of the DDX3216, here are some pics of the mod I did on both my mixers:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-03 11.22.34.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	752.9 KB
ID:	825928Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-03 11.22.24.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	801.0 KB
ID:	825929

Leave a comment:

• Nisse
    replied
    Hi again,
    Does anyone have the binary images for the EEPROMs? (IC15-IC18)
    The strange thing is that when I reprogram IC15-IC18 with an EPROM programmer, the mixer (the one which worked) is now hanging at startup, but not the "faulty" mixer.
    The problem is probably because the rom-images for rom 15, 17, 18 is taken from the faulty one, and they where probably not 100%.
    Anyway, If anybody has the rom images, I would be grateful to have them.

/Nisse
    Hello fellows!
    Forget about my previous post, cause today I'm in a good mood!
    I've finaly got the DDXUpdate V1.11 software, and "that was the shit"
    So NOW IS MY MIXER WORKING AGAIN!!
    No need to remove roms, and burn etc.
    Just some info:
    First I tried to update the mixed from my "better" computer with dual core CPU but this failed all the time. I got communication error after a while. Then I tried with an external USB-RS232-COM-port, but that didn't work either.
    Then I tried with an older single-core-CPU computer (Both with Win-XP), and that worked fine!
    Don't know why...
    Well, the older computer runs "TinyXP", that has a lot of stuff disabled. That could make sense!
    Then I had to do the "factory reset" cause most of the leds was lighting up.
    Now was the mixer working fine again!
    Then I had to update the mixer with the "latest" software (V112), because the DDXUpdate installed an older version. It seemed to be built-in in the DDXUpdate-program.

Regards,
    Nisse
    Last edited by Nisse; 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X