Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behringer DDX3216 - Trying to repair, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHORT EDDY
    replied
    This might be an easy fix for Admin.
    There are 5 pages to this thread. When I sign in, I can only go to this point. This is the bottom of the page now. When I sign out, I can see all 5 pages.
    Easy fix?

Leave a comment:

• S2udio
    replied
    Originally posted by SHORT EDDY View Post
    How about the pair of "stubby" 820uf caps?
    No need to change those, they will probably outlive you !

Originally posted by SHORT EDDY View Post
    All the voltages were in range and rock solid except the 8v (+7.1 -8.9).
    About a volt offset ....is this measured disconected from the fader board, or connected,.
    Seeing its not actually booting up, dont bother with the fader 8v at the moment, it will give an error message if the board is disconnected. messages first.
    In fact it will boot with errors if only the display and CPU connected and powered and up, do you get that far.

Edit..... Quote from a another disjointed thread ......."With all ribbons disconnected from the CPU board (display connected) the display should then Display DDX3216 , followed by bars and then blank."
    Last edited by S2udio; 01-09-2016, 10:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SHORT EDDY
    replied
    Thanks, I'll put it on my parts list.
    How about the pair of "stubby" 820uf caps? Not having any luck with Mouser. Tried 1000uf too. Everything is too tall. Need the low profile ones.
    Was hoping to get everything from one source.
    Has anyone found a fit from Mouser?

I was apparently only having imbalance issues with the 8v section. My cap testers don't have an ESR function but the only ones that tested low were the 820's and the 1's.
    Are there any specific areas in the 8v section that I should focus on besides the electrolytics?
    After discovery of the 8v problem, I re-seated everything and applied DeoxIT sparingly. All symptoms remained exactly the same. All the voltages were in range and rock solid except the 8v (+7.1 -8.9).
    Does it sound like there could be anything else going on by the symptoms?
    Should I go ahead and replace C-12,17,18&23? (my plan) What about D-4&5?

Leave a comment:

• S2udio
    replied
    Also replace the "watch type" 32 meg xtal on the CPU board

Leave a comment:

• SHORT EDDY
    replied
    This is what I just pulled out of mine.
    This is a 100% list of the electrolytics.

2X 820uf @200v
    10X 1000uf @16v
    6X 1000uf @25v
    6X 2200uf @10v
    2X 220uf @63v
    1X 470uf @35v
    2X 220uf @25v
    3X 1uf @50v
    4X 10uf @50v
    3X 47uf @25v
    ALL 105C

Leave a comment:

• SHORT EDDY
    replied
    Thanks for this informative thread!
    I have a desk with the classic problems described here...
    Screen has horizontal lines of random thickness, alternate buttons lit, led ladders half lit, faders rise to top like snails.
    My first move was to check the PS for correct voltages and no ripple while disconnected.
    All voltages checked out very closely to spec with no noise.
    Re connected supply- all but +/-8v are good. Reading +7.1, -8.9.
    Thought that I would hit you guys up before proceeding. (Thank you for the schematics!)
    Started going for a re cap in the PS. EVERY 1000mfd 16V I tested was within range. (mostly over) These SEEM like high quality 105c caps. Do some of these supplies have upgraded cap specs?
    Are there any specific areas that I want to address while I'm inside, to make it more trouble free?
    I thought that it would be wise to re cap the PS to eliminate future common failures.
    Does this 8V anomaly sound like anything familiar BESIDES JUST the PS?
    Thank you all in advance.

Leave a comment:

• altruistica
    replied
    Originally posted by wavesound View Post
    Hi
    Just found this site!
    I have four mixers and am looking to service them and repair them.
    I'll be trawling these pages for a few days.
    Many thanks
    Bob
    Hi Bob,

If you get anywhere with them please report back here as I still need to fix mine.

Cheers
    Al

Leave a comment:

• wavesound
    replied
    Hi
    Just found this site!
    I have four mixers and am looking to service them and repair them.
    I'll be trawling these pages for a few days.
    Many thanks
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• guitardad
    replied
    You can get an ESR meter to check the electrolytic caps in the PS, but I'd just change them out to better capacitors. Find some in the 105 temp range.

I used a combination of Panasonic and Nichicon brands. Mostly were Panasonic. Some were 125 deg range, but those are harder to find now. 105 should be plenty. 85 is too low since these units get pretty hot inside and there is just a tiny fan on the side to dissipate the internal heat. Worse is when people rack mount these and block that air flow.

Leave a comment:

• altruistica
    replied
    I've just picked up a DDX3216 off Ebay.
    I used them a few years ago and thought they were pretty good. When I checked this one thro' before buying it, it seemed fine. When I got it home and checked a bit further with a dynamic mic after about half an hour, the headphones I was listening on went 'phasey' as if you had a digital signal routed twice to the output. I re-booted and tried a condensor with phantom power. The mixer crackled even with the volume down when selecting the phantom and still with the phased sound. It wouldn't go away even with a re-boot. I left it for the rest of the day. The next day I fitted a couple of ADAT cards to it, which worked fine again for about half an hour when the sound fizzled out and became very distorted. Knowing the issues these units have with power supplies, I thought it was time to open her up and see what gives. After reading several reports of how to dismantle it, I reached the power supply and removed it. There were no obvious signs of bulging caps, although the circuit board does look a little red under some of the caps. I thought I'd re-connect it to see if the problem was simply a dry joint on a ribbon connector. When I re-connected the mixer, I had the half lights illuminated episode documented elsewhere, with a '+1 8' illuminated in the red LED scene display. Surely this is some kind of fault report?
    I have since removed the supply and also tested it back in situ. I see the following:

Power to ANALOG CONNECTORS:
    47.9V
    -16.8V
    17.0V
    0V
    4.9V
    3.3V

Power to IOCONN 01
    5.1V
    0V
    0V
    3.3V

Power to DSP01
    3.3V
    0V
    0V
    5.1V

Power to Contr 1.1
    -8V
    +8V
    0V
    -8V
    +8V
    0V
    5.1V

Power to Fader Board
    5.1V
    0V
    0V
    5.1V
    5.1V

Power to Display Board
    5.1V
    0V
    0V
    5.1V

Power to CPU 01
    -12.2V
    11.9V
    3.3V
    5.1V

I didn't register anything on Q3 but did on Q2...I think about 2.4V. Is that significant?

I don't understand why the unit worked (albeit with a fault) before I started dismantling it and now it won't power up other than half lights and buttons illuminated (other than the obvious....I've broken it by dismantling it).

Do the readings above warrant a full re-cap and replacement of Q3 as a starting point?

Thanks
    Al

Leave a comment:

• efxmla
    replied
    Hi Guys! I am really running out of luck with my Behringer DDX3216 LCD. Does anybody have suggestions for a replacement unit? I purchased a similar type LCD from Crystal Fontz America but it has 8 data I/O's and the AMD sc300-33kc has 4. Unfortunately I cant make it work and no reply from Behringer because they already stopped production of these units. Any ideas? Very much appreciated for any suggestions. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• szexypapucs
    replied
    No. After update failed with no sart.

Leave a comment:

• S2udio
    replied
    Thats fine if the CPU is is working and ready to recieve data.....obviously on a working mixer ?

Leave a comment:

• szexypapucs
    replied
    Try this emergency updating:
    Install the update programm to your computer
    Connect the DDX to the RS232 port
    Start the software
    Choose the com port the DDX is connected to
    Press down the GROUP button and switch on the mixer
    Update will start and last about 10 minutes. Progress is displayed.

Leave a comment:

• S2udio
    replied
    I really don't know what you mean by "emergency tool " as no such thing exists, There is probably corruption of one of the Setting save Eproms or the OS and this will cause boot hang.
    First Try reseating the EPROMS , and all the cpu ribbons etc and check for correct voltages at the CPU board.
    I can reflash the OS eprom etc ,if it is corrupt or send you a file, if you have a programmer !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X