No announcement yet.

GK 250ML Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks a lot better with 2 matching speakers. That squarish speaker you took out seems a bit familiar, maybe a studio monitor, but can't be sure.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Probably.
      AFAIK original ones were made by Pyle (which also suppied those in the 4 x 10" cabinets), but of course any day of the week they can switch to Eminence.
      Any codes printed on those speaker frames?
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
        That looks a lot better with 2 matching speakers. That squarish speaker you took out seems a bit familiar, maybe a studio monitor, but can't be sure.
        Here's the number stamped on the back of the squarish speaker.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210721_233902103.NIGHT.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	937178

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
          Probably.
          AFAIK original ones were made by Pyle (which also suppied those in the 4 x 10" cabinets), but of course any day of the week they can switch to Eminence.
          Any codes printed on those speaker frames?
          Here it is......

Name:	PXL_20210721_231907041.NIGHT.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	937180

Comment

Would anyone here have a spare wire harness for the GK 250ml laying around. I have another one of these amps and it's missing that.

Name:	PXL_20210722_003648986.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	937186

Comment

I have one, but you'll have to buy the whole amp that it's in.

Seriously though, Mouser has a host of Molex connectors. If you get out your calipers and do some measuring, you can probably find a connector that will work. Then, it's just a matter of adding the wiring.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by sweatyk View Post

Here it is......

Name:	PXL_20210721_231907041.NIGHT.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	937180
                http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/eia-codes.html

says:
                1056 Fisher Speakers
                1059 Channel Speakers
                1098 Pyle Speakers
                1113 Acoustic Fiber Sound Speakers
                1149 Curtis Mathes Speakers
                1191 Micro Magnet Speakers
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Searching for various combinations of the squarish speaker brought this.
                  Quite close, only it´s Panasonic Japanese.
                  That said, that speaker might have been used in a "USA model/specs" Cabinet (Hi Fi? / Studio monitor?) , I have seen power transformers labelled US - USA - EU - AU - UK and that means specs or Electrical Safety approval, or intended market, not necessarily Country of Origin or Manufacture.
                  Also a US made speaker , specially from the 80´s, "should" show an EIA code, this one does not.
                  An extra detail: **magnet backplate** IS Asian.

Name:	i-img562x789-1612716051pzak5a159773.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	937212

Traditional speaker makers (US - EU - even my own) cut/stamp backplate from a thick cold rolled steel sheet, punch a hole in it, lathe turn the polepiece out of a cold rolled steel bar and join both together by various mechanical methods, sometimes pressing (with a huge hydraulical press) polepiece into a same diameter hole (say 1.5" as in those Pyle speakers) , often "nailing" them together by hitting them with a pointed hard steel tool so they expand a little and can´t move any more, similar to primer crimping in MilSpec ammo , both techniques clearly seen here, while Asians forge the whole shebang out of a large ball of molten steel, so "no joints".
                  Also edges look rounded like pressed dough (what they are,only it´s steel dough); traditional manufacturing shows ragged punched edges or , best case, same but turned smooth in more expensive speakers.
                  Makes easy to tell UK vs China Celestion,by the way.

Name:	fetch?id=937124&d=1626883230.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	937213
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                    I have one, but you'll have to buy the whole amp that it's in.

Seriously though, Mouser has a host of Molex connectors. If you get out your calipers and do some measuring, you can probably find a connector that will work. Then, it's just a matter of adding the wiring.
                    I looked thru mouser and Digikey and other places. Either I suck really bad at searching for things like this or......well I just suck....lol
                    what term would you use when searching for this? I've put in female pin socket, molex but can't seem to find one like this. I know it has to be out there. Anyone care to help a brother out?

Comment

Here's a start. You'll have to measure some things and update the search to see if they have what you need.

https://www.mouser.com/Molex/Connect...yvsm2dZ1ytkls2
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The white connector is an insulation displacement connector or IDC. The IDC has special pins with little sharp edged slots in them. A special press is used to shove the insulated wire down into the slot, and contact is made. You won't have such a press. SO when I encounter this I use connectors from the same series but that use crimp-on pins that are then slipped into the plastic housing. That connector is in the Molex KK-156 series. You need a four slot housing. (Secret tip: if you can only find a ten space, you can cut off a few spaces from the end...instant four.) You will need a crimper, and while there are wonderful expensive ones, my cheap Waldom one has worked just fine for me for decades.

Like this one:
                        https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...iABEgIJ1fD_BwE

Mouser and I am sure others sell the individual stuff, but they also sell small kits, which include a housing or two and a handful of crimp pins

Here is a four slot kit from Mouser. I am sure other Molex dealers also sell such kits.
                        https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GkST%252BII%3D
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong on the speaker connection. The yellow and red wire connect to the - side of the speakers and the brown and orange connect to the +.......or do I have that backwards? On the schematic it has the red and yellow going to a .33 ohm resistor to ground (R127 & R133).

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                            The white connector is an insulation displacement connector or IDC. The IDC has special pins with little sharp edged slots in them. A special press is used to shove the insulated wire down into the slot, and contact is made. You won't have such a press. SO when I encounter this I use connectors from the same series but that use crimp-on pins that are then slipped into the plastic housing. That connector is in the Molex KK-156 series. You need a four slot housing. (Secret tip: if you can only find a ten space, you can cut off a few spaces from the end...instant four.) You will need a crimper, and while there are wonderful expensive ones, my cheap Waldom one has worked just fine for me for decades.

Like this one:
                            https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...iABEgIJ1fD_BwE

Mouser and I am sure others sell the individual stuff, but they also sell small kits, which include a housing or two and a handful of crimp pins

Here is a four slot kit from Mouser. I am sure other Molex dealers also sell such kits.
                            https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GkST%252BII%3D
                            Thanks Enzo.......a great help!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X