No announcement yet.

My HM fender- poorly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does increacing the relief usually mean -more- fret buzz? I can never work it out even imagining vibrating strings like a skipping rope.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
      Does increacing the relief usually mean -more- fret buzz?
      Higher relief increases action wihout reducing string buzz. Buzz only reduces with increasing bridge height. For lowest no-buzz action you want just above zero relief.

A relief of 1mm looks way too much. As recommended above, use an e-string as a feeler gauge.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Higher relief increases action wihout reducing string buzz. Buzz only reduces with increasing bridge height. For lowest no-buzz action you want just above zero relief.

A relief of 1mm looks way too much. As recommended above, use an e-string as a feeler gauge.
        Hi Helmholtz.. 1mm is too much?? crikey I'm all at sea here then/ thought I knew all this but obviously not.

1mm is the least ammount of relief I've ever done, or really able to even measure! too -much-? do you mean "too little" IE I need to increase 1mm to say 2mm?

Comment

Hi Helmholtz.. 1mm is too much?? crikey I'm all at sea here then/ thought I knew all this but obviously not.

1mm is the least ammount of relief I've ever done, or really able to even measure! too -much-? do you mean "too little" IE I need to increase 1mm to say 2mm?
          I'm speaking of 0.2 to 0.25mm max. Anything more just increases necessary no-buzz action.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I'm speaking of 0.2 to 0.25mm max. Anything more just increases necessary no-buzz action.
            Really?? sorry anything more does what.. basically increaces buzz? (I dont quite understand what "increaces neccessary no-buzz action" means.. my head starts to explode).

Comment

Really?? sorry anything more does what.. basically increaces buzz? (I dont quite understand what "increaces neccessary no-buzz action" means.. my head starts to explode).
              Relief just adds action, but for no good. Raising string height at the bridge increases action but also reduces string buzz.
              Please try my proposals, I'm getting tired of repeating myself.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Relief just adds action, but for no good. Raising string height at the bridge increases action but also reduces string buzz.
                helmholtz. Sorry, but I do not understand what you are suggesting. I understand you suggest -decreacing- my relief from 1mm to 0.25mm. But if you say this is -increacing- it is confusing language. Also before I do anything, I'm trying to understand why doing X will = result Y.

I do not like doing a suggestion without picturing why its to be done.I prefer to understand 1st.. then AHA! & doing it.

Comment

I also do not not understand what you are meaning by 'action'.

Increacing 'action'-? does this mean increacing the strings "area" to vibrate perhaps? I can only try & guess you see.

Comment

I also do not not understand what you are meaning by 'action'.
                    Action is the official term for actual string height, typically measured as gap between top of fret and underside of string between frets #12 to #17, see post #5.

Most players prefer lowest possible action without string buzz and that's only possible with minimum relief.
                    Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-19-2020, 07:14 PM.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I understand you suggest -decreacing- my relief from 1mm to 0.25mm.
                      If you mean "decreasing" as lowering, yes. Less relief gives lower action.

Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-19-2020, 07:11 PM.
                      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

If you mean "decreasing" as lowering, yes. Less relief gives lower action.
                        Ok Aha! understand now (but how can decreacing not mean anything other than lowering-??!! can you see my point??).

I have a feeling a bit of lost in translation here, but now not important: now I understand you.

A Q tho. How can I possibly measure such small heights as 0.2mm or 0.25mm? I know you germans are given minute feeler-guages in your xmas stockings fro m age 4 onwards, but us engrish pigs.. we only have bits of paper & leaves).

Comment

(but how can decreacing not mean anything other than lowering-??!! can you see my point??).
                          Because I (as well as my dictionary) don't know what "decreace" means, I only know decrease as to lower or reduce.

How can I possibly measure such small heights as 0.2mm or 0.25mm?
                          With a piece of treble e-string as said several times. That's what I use, works much better than flat feeler gauge.

Treble e-string diameters:
                          0.008" = 0.2mm
                          0.009" = 0.23mm
                          0.010" = 0.25mm
                          Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-19-2020, 07:56 PM.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	t0813.gif
Views:	196
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	916079
                            It's All Over Now

Comment

Because I (as well as my dictionary) don't know what "decreace" means, I only know decrease as to lower or reduce.

With a piece of treble e-string as said several times. That's what I use, works much better than flat feeler gauge.

Treble e-string diameters:
                              0.008" = 0.2mm
                              0.009" = 0.23mm
                              0.010" = 0.25mm
                              Aha ok. I had no idea what 'a bit of e-string' was/ no idea you were suggesting using an actual guitar string as a height reference! (I thought an electric car race or something.. lord knows what you were talking about!). Ok that's useful my 9 is 0.23mm. How I actually put it between tho.. I guess it'll be obvious.

Alot lost in translation, but, we are on the same page with decreace and increace (I think maybe increacing the action = decreacing the relief.. hence our miscommunication.. or maybe not, but it doesn't matter for now).

Trouble for me is the nut is body-end, so will take a day or so to dial in 0.23 neck relief, taking strings off/ on/ off etc. A total bitch.

Comment

I think maybe increacing the action = decreacing the relief.
                                No, decreasing (lowering) relief = decreasing (lowering) action. Low action requires small relief. An almost straight neck has close to no relief thus allows for lowest action.

(You are still misspelling decrease and increase.)

You will need to tighten (turn clockwise) the truss rod nut. Start with a quarter turn only and check again.
                                Body-side nut is a PITA - not only for you.
                                Last edited by Helmholtz; 10-19-2020, 09:27 PM.
                                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                                X