This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    That must be a down under term, I've not heard of Talent box.
    Stomp box board, or pedal board, here stateside. I think?
    T
    Ah I think it's a pretty universal thing, it's a derogatory remark to those that use em. I may be guilty myself of having a reverb pedal and a compressor but I can stand on my soap box comfortable in the knowledge that I'm really getting my tone from the fingers guitar and amp.

Comment

• Does anyone make strat single coils, and not pot them?
      Was wondering if Everyone pretty much pots Single coils, or if some think they sound better without Wax.
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 07-27-2012, 05:10 AM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

• I've had unpotted ones but in the end I always pot them. I don't hear any great improvement unpotted but they're out there. People who would argue I mean.
        Did you say something in your last post and then change your mind

Comment

• I always pot them also.
          The Baby, mini Blades are the ones that seem to be the most microphonic.
          I usually pot the bobbins, and then end up potting the whole pickup at least once.
          T
          Last edited by big_teee; 07-27-2012, 06:26 AM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

• Just cleaned up in the paint shop for the day. Got the white all done and 2 coats of clear. I'll put 10 coats of clear on, give that a quick blast with 600 and then put another 5 or 6 clear coats on. Even though I filled the grain ash is a thirsty wood. OR, I'm an ass at grain filling probably more to the point

Comment

Here's the Mary Kaye that played the Strat.
              Going by the YTs I checked out, she was actually still playing an archtop in the 60s.
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Here she is in a 1956 add.

It was a blonde ash strat with gold hardware.
                She like many performers probably played many different guitars.
                T
                Terry

Comment

Here she is in a 1956 add....
                  She like many performers probably played many different guitars.
                  I've seen the ad. Like other performers, she may have played the guitar for one song in one movie. I know Ed Roman is famously infamous, but here's some copy from his site:

...The true story of the original Mary Kaye white Stratocaster is very interesting. She was asked to do an Ad for Fender in the mid to late 50's, They gave her a white Strat with gold hardware to pose with. White guitars always photograph well. She never even owned a white Strat until many years later, People who saw the advertisement were asking the dealers for the "Mary Kaye Strat" . Hence the name stuck and they are highly collectable today.

..."In the early '50's, Fender put out a Stratocaster, which was white ash wood with gold fittings. It didn't have a name on it - just Fender. We did some movies for Howard Koch at Paramount. I told Fender that we were doing movies, they sent over the Stratocaster and I played it on Cha Cha Cha Boom. There was a lot of publicity. There was a particular picture with the three of us. I had the Stratocaster and Frankie ( Mary's late partner Frankie Ross) had a Fender amplifier in front of him. The picture went around the world. Instead of customers asking for a white guitar with gold fittings, they said- 'I want the guitar that Mary Kaye was playing.' All of a sudden the guitar became known as the Mary Kaye Stratocaster."

-rb

PS: It's still a pretty guitar, nonetheless.
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                    Just cleaned up in the paint shop for the day. Got the white all done and 2 coats of clear. I'll put 10 coats of clear on, give that a quick blast with 600 and then put another 5 or 6 clear coats on. Even though I filled the grain ash is a thirsty wood. OR, I'm an ass at grain filling probably more to the point
                    How is the clear coat going?
                    I didn't do any work on pickups today.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

How is the clear coat going?
                      T
                      Hi T, it's 9am right now and the frost on the ground has gone but the fog is still blowing from lungs if you know what I mean. Should be able to shoot the first of the day in about 2 hrs. I'm into the girly hand cream as all the sanding yesterday along with the thinners has dried out my coot hands big time. I guess I'll need to don the rubber gloves for the rest of the Mary Kaye, wet sanding you need gloves as well coz the hands freak out with all that muck on them. It's a dirty job that's for sure.

Comment

• I forget about it being winter there.
                        You get any parts or wire yet.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

I forget about it being winter there.
                          You get any parts or wire yet.
                          T
                          No mate, I did receive my bulk string order of 60 sets made up from individual gauges. I'm using a very girly gauge these days. 8 10 15 24 32 42 tuned down to Eb and using a .5mm flapmeister pick
                          Just put the 4th coat of clear on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
                            Hi T, it's 9am right now and the frost on the ground has gone but the fog is still blowing from lungs if you know what I mean. Should be able to shoot the first of the day in about 2 hrs. I'm into the girly hand cream as all the sanding yesterday along with the thinners has dried out my coot hands big time. I guess I'll need to don the rubber gloves for the rest of the Mary Kaye, wet sanding you need gloves as well coz the hands freak out with all that muck on them. It's a dirty job that's for sure.
                            Hi "Coach" Ward,

When you sand with the 600 do you do it dry or wet? I have been using naptha for that and after a while it does dry out the hands.
                            I wonder if it is necessary to use the naptha, since it is probably well enough sealed at that point.

Oh and I almost forgot, I didn't work on pickups or paint either today.
                            -sw
                            www.sonnywalton.com
                            How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                              Hi "Coach" Ward,

When you sand with the 600 do you do it dry or wet? I have been using naptha for that and after a while it does dry out the hands.
                              I wonder if it is necessary to use the naptha, since it is probably well enough sealed at that point.

Oh and I almost forgot, I didn't work on pickups or paint either today.
                              -sw
                              Good Evening Sonny!
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                                Hi "Coach" Ward,
                                Hi Sonny, coach Ward here the 600 I use when wet sanding the thing getting ready for buffing, I wet sand with good old water and the 600 is only to knock back the mountains, once it's reasonable flat, I leave it for at least two weeks (3 months is better) then water and 1200 to take out all the little shiny pits. If you look at the thing in sunlight you will know for sure if you have sanded well enough. Go easy on edges or you'll go through, AND don't even do the edges with the 600. HTH.

Comment

Working...
                                X