This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
    Well, no pickups for me today, still waiting on some magnets for those 1965's. Need to get some other work out of the way anyhow. Hey Ward, not to hijack the the thread back to the painting, but this one made me feel better today. I am setting up a new ES335 out of the Gibby CS. Should have had this one done yesterday the customer called today and I hadn't even started it yet. It has the faded cherry finish. It must have been done with a stain too, the color isn't much more even than my parts strat is. So I feel a bit better now, here it is on my messy work table.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]19458[/ATTACH]
    That's, ah, well I just plain speechless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
      Hey Ward, would the dummy coil still work if it were built with much finer wire (say AWG #42) so as long as the resistance was the same as when using the larger wire?
      I dunno for sure mate, I'd reckon not but can't elaborate. Maybe rjb would know.

Comment

• I don't know if He would know, but I'm pretty sure he would tell us something!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I don't know if He would know, but I'm pretty sure he would tell us something!
          T

Comment

• I was trying to smoke him out, and chastise him for scorning me last night!
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by Ward View Post
              That's, ah, well I just plain speechless.
              If you are just dying to get one, check this. Gibson Custom ES-335 Block Inlay Antique Red Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar - Jacks Music - Australia
              Looks like it isn't the only one.

Maybe I just need to raise the list price on my strat 4x. Or not. It plays very nice.
              www.sonnywalton.com
              How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                If you are just dying to get one, check this. Gibson Custom ES-335 Block Inlay Antique Red Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar - Jacks Music - Australia
                Looks like it isn't the only one.

Maybe I just need to raise the list price on my strat 4x. Or not. It plays very nice.
                Ward would have to play it upside down.
                It worked for Jimi!
                T
                Terry

Comment

• I'd love to have a good hollow, I won't go near Epiphone after the joke that is my Epi LP. This would be a tone I'd go after 1974 Marshall 50 Watt Demo - YouTube
                  Sounds very Australian to me.

Comment

I dunno for sure mate, I'd reckon not but can't elaborate. Maybe rjb would know.
                    I'm not an expert, haven't even made one yet- I'm just a guy who read the patent.

The patent recommends you use at least "2 sizes thicker" for the "noise picking coil" than for the "signal picking coil".

I remember skimming over something about ratios that may or may not give you a more definitive answer; I could look it up, but so could you. ;^)
                    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I'd love to have a good hollow, I won't go near Epiphone after the joke that is my Epi LP.
                      New York Epiphones are the only Epis worth owning.

But seriously- for a dime on the dollar, an Epi ES335 ain't a bad guitar (unless you get a lemon); you can replace all the hardware & tronics and still be $$$ ahead.
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        I was trying to smoke him out, and chastise him for scorning me last night!
                        T
                        I wasn't scorning you- just trying to save you from doing something foolish!
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• Originally posted by rjb View Post
                          New York Epiphones are the only Epis worth owning.

But seriously- for a dime on the dollar, an Epi ES335 ain't a bad guitar (unless you get a lemon); you can replace all the hardware & tronics and still be $$$ ahead.
                          You're right but I swore I'd NEVER get another Epi and I just won't. I'd rather get a Chinese counterfeit than ever look at another Epi. This is coming from a bloke that makes nearly all his own guitars. The Epi LP I have here is slapped together and well why not use decent wood and have the punter pay that "little" bit extra for something that at least has the right woods and if it's got a solid colour why the hell do they need veneers on both the top and bottom, I know, coz they just do it to all of em regardless but it's just another botch up. Hamer makes a hollow but they make it outta maple No sir re Bob, I won't be going Epi ever. When I stripped the plastic coating off my Epi there was no hiding the botchery nor the cardboard they call wood.

Comment

I wasn't scorning you- just trying to save you from doing something foolish!
                            At my age I've Hosed up most things by now.
                            I've gotten pretty good at it!
                            And Using words like foolish is better???
                            T
                            Last edited by big_teee; 08-03-2012, 03:19 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

I'd love to have a good hollow, I won't go near Epiphone after the joke that is my Epi LP. This would be a tone I'd go after 1974 Marshall 50 Watt Demo - YouTube
                              Sounds very Australian to me.
                              If you like it, I like it!
                              But, is Darker than suits my taste.
                              I like a brighter sharper Marshall attack.
                              T
                              Last edited by big_teee; 08-03-2012, 05:50 AM.
                              Terry

Comment

I'm not an expert, haven't even made one yet- I'm just a guy who read the patent.

The patent recommends you use at least "2 sizes thicker" for the "noise picking coil" than for the "signal picking coil".

I remember skimming over something about ratios that may or may not give you a more definitive answer; I could look it up, but so could you. ;^)
                                Thanks very much!
                                I was just trying to think of a way to mount the coil without routing the body. I was thinking that if a smaller diameter wire could be used the outside diameter of the coil would be much smaller which would allow it to simply be looped around the pickups.

Picture the fine wire 350 ohm dummy coil with an OD of 20 to18 gauge wire (or there about) wrapped around the outside of the pickups tight against the tubing/height adjusters.

Such a thin coil would allow the pick guard to be dropped in place without routing the body.

Oh well, It was just an idea.
                                Thanks again.
                                Rob.

Comment

Working...
                                X