This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
    Wow my plexi is only about 350v on the b+ which is high ..what a jolt you would get
    Are you using 120V, or 240 Volts there on the Rock?
    The main difference is the output tubes.
    EL84s require lower voltage, but 350v would still give you a Zap.
    Don't you have some cute Emoticon for a Guy Getting Zapped?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Are you using 120V, or 240 Volts there on the Rock?
      The main difference is the output tubes.
      EL84s require lower voltage, but 350v would still give you a Zap.
      Don't you have some cute Emoticon for a Guy Getting Zapped?
      T
      Now that's one I have not been asked ,but good question
      we use same as any where in North America 120 V
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Worked on the two Guitars that came in yesterday.
        I put the blade Pick Guard on the strat.
        The other one had parts falling off of it.
        How did your day go?
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Worked on the two Guitars that came in yesterday.
          I put the blade Pick Guard on the strat.
          The other one had parts falling off of it.
          How did your day go?
          T
          I didn't start any new pickups, just finishing up all the ones I had partially completed to fill in my inventory when I got to working on those custom '65s. Finished up 4 more strat pickups and put them in their boxes. Also worked on building up some more of my reproduction capacitors for inventory. Yesterday the customer on the custom '65 strat set put up a couple of demos on facebook. He sure liked the pickups. Here are two of the demos he has done. One is a kind of Dick Dale sort of surf stuff and the other is Hendrixesque, if that's a word, or maybe Psychedelica. He was just trying to capture the sound of the times.

Surf'n Sun with Sunny Walton 65 Pickups on the Bridge by Lizardry on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

65 sonny walton deluxe verb fuzz wah bridge by Lizardry on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
          Last edited by SonnyW; 09-05-2012, 05:28 AM.
          www.sonnywalton.com
          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Sounds good Sonny!
            A good Sounding bridge pickup.
            Where is everyone tonight, or this morning?
            T
            Terry

Comment

Sounds good Sonny!
              T
              I guess nobody here but us chickins

Here is a couple more demos he has posted, the neck and the mid. Ignore the last part of the neck one, he got a cramp in his hand.

Neck
              http://soundcloud.com/lizardry/65-demo-1

65 demo neck fuzz pickle by Lizardry on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Mid
              Bridge mid mary by Lizardry on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
              www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• Sonny, what diameter PE are you using? Is it the AWC stuff?

My Dad is up from Fla and he gave me a few toys including about 4 lbs of Essex PE that's dated 1960.
                It's marked 0.00265. Thinner than what Ive been using lately. I tried it out on a couple of Strat neck and middle bobbins.
                I'm wondering if it's even smaller than .265" because 8,500 winds gets me about 6.4K DCR but only 2.6 Henries.

This is a perfect example of why I have to explain to most people who buy my pickups that DCR means very little.
                I have a Strat pickup here with the same bobbin for comparison that I wound with some older Elektrisola 42 PE that measures around .028/.029" a while back.
                I looked in my log and it was 8900 winds and around 6.1K but it was over 3 Henries. If I didn't have an inductance meter I would never have known how much hotter the 6.1k was compared to the 6.4 k pickups.

I played them in my test Strat and they sounded good, they have that mean PE bite but I think the wire is a bit too thin for Strat pickups. I like wire that's closer to .030" for Strat pickups. I dont dare ask him if he has anything thicker instead

Rob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                  Sonny, what diameter PE are you using? Is it the AWC stuff?

My Dad is up from Fla and he gave me a few toys including about 4 lbs of Essex PE that's dated 1960.
                  It's marked 0.00265. Thinner than what Ive been using lately. I tried it out on a couple of Strat neck and middle bobbins.
                  I'm wondering if it's even smaller than .265" because 8,500 winds gets me about 6.4K DCR but only 2.6 Henries.

This is a perfect example of why I have to explain to most people who buy my pickups that DCR means very little.
                  I have a Strat pickup here with the same bobbin for comparison that I wound with some older Elektrisola 42 PE that measures around .028/.029" a while back.
                  I looked in my log and it was 8900 winds and around 6.1K but it was over 3 Henries. If I didn't have an inductance meter I would never have known how much hotter the 6.1k was compared to the 6.4 k pickups.

I played them in my test Strat and they sounded good, they have that mean PE bite but I think the wire is a bit too thin for Strat pickups. I like wire that's closer to .030" for Strat pickups. I dont dare ask him if he has anything thicker instead

Rob.
                  I sorted through four rolls of PE to find a roll with .0026 for these. Yes it is AWC.
                  www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Sounds good Sonny!
                    T
                    Yup. A lot of builders don't put as much work into the Strat bridge pickups as they do the neck pickups (guilty) but a good sounding Strat bridge pickup can be a chore.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
                      I sorted through four rolls of PE to find a roll with .0026 for these. Yes it is AWC.
                      do you happen to have the date it was made?

Comment

do you happen to have the date it was made?
                        Aug 10, 2011
                        www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Aug 10, 2011
                          Thanks Sonny.
                          I need to get a decent micrometer.

Comment

Thanks Sonny.
                            I need to get a decent micrometer.
                            I use a Brown and Sharpe. I would be lost without mine. I gave up long ago trying to interpolate. But there are a lot of them out there. Here is one
                            VTG Brown & Sharpe Micrometer 0-1" .0001 Machinist #13 | eBay

I'm sure a Possum type laser would be more accurate, but this is all I can afford.
                            www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• Check your PM Sonny!

Comment

I use a Brown and Sharpe. I would be lost without mine. I gave up long ago trying to interpolate. But there are a lot of them out there. Here is one
                                VTG Brown & Sharpe Micrometer 0-1" .0001 Machinist #13 | eBay

I'm sure a Possum type laser would be more accurate, but this is all I can afford.
                                Thats what I like about the HPN, I have some that is nearly .0030, and I only use it on strat Neck P/Us.
                                I have some a little smaller for bridge and middle.
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X