Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't there still an issue of finding proper covers for the parts that are available?

I would imagine that the 4 hook ups to the magnet wire would be the hardest part of building them if proper parts were available.
    Dimarzio Hot Rails use a thin rigid wire (like very thin bus wire) which runs down along the side of each bobbin like little legs. They are attached to the start and finish ends of the magnet wire which then go through two small holes in the bottom flat work which has a printed circuit board on it.

They also use what looks to be hot glue in between both bobbins to hold the bobbins together. Then they solder the outside edges of the blades to the PCB on the outer sides of the magnet.

It wouldn't be all that hard to do if you were skilled in printing PCB's but without proper covers they wouldn't look very nice.

Comment

• Mojotone bottom flatwork for the blade strat has 4 eyelets which you can use humbucker 4 conductor wire quite easily
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
        Isn't there still an issue of finding proper covers for the parts that are available?

I would imagine that the 4 hook ups to the magnet wire would be the hardest part of building them if proper parts were available.
        Dimarzio Hot Rails use a thin rigid wire (like very thin bus wire) which runs down along the side of each bobbin like little legs. They are attached to the start and finish ends of the magnet wire which then go through two small holes in the bottom flat work which has a printed circuit board on it.

They also use what looks to be hot glue in between both bobbins to hold the bobbins together. Then they solder the outside edges of the blades to the PCB on the outer sides of the magnet.

It wouldn't be all that hard to do if you were skilled in printing PCB's but without proper covers they wouldn't look very nice.
        I'm not using any cover, just taping them up like a humbucker, which they are.

I use 26 awg poly magnet wire for the lead wires out from the coils. I use red and green so I can tell the starts from the finishes. I tape them on the coils like I would do with a regular humbucker, then solder the other end in the eyelets.
        www.sonnywalton.com
        How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
          I'm not using any cover, just taping them up like a humbucker, which they are.

I use 26 awg poly magnet wire for the lead wires out from the coils. I use red and green so I can tell the starts from the finishes. I tape them on the coils like I would do with a regular humbucker, then solder the other end in the eyelets.
          No covers here either.
          Just taped up when finished.
          I wish we had covers of many colors!
          The Rains moved in today, leftovers of Hurricane Isaac!
          I felt like Noah, getting my property and roads ready for the possible big Rains.
          At least I didn't have to gather the animals, 2 by 2.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            No covers here either.
            Just taped up when finished.
            I wish we had covers of many colors!
            The Rains moved in today, leftovers of Hurricane Isaac!
            I felt like Noah, getting my property and roads ready for the possible big Rains.
            At least I didn't have to gather the animals, 2 by 2.
            T
            Do you know that you live in the only state that is mentioned in the bible? "Noah looked out of the ark and saw...."

No winding done today either. Had an inquiry on my Texas Blues set today, off the website, customer thinking about it. Still working with my '65 customer on some demo tracks. Otherwise, just finished up the strat setup, needed to get that out for tomorrow.
            www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• I got rid of the Dean Vendetta Hell Raiser, today.
              He came after it.
              Dean Vendetta Resurrection Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend
              I rewound them.
              Don't Know what kind of Death Metal he plays.
              I hope I have them hot enough!
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

• I have finally got my wax pot heated up, have 5 more pickups I would like to pot tonight. Wound two of the bridge version of my Texas Blues model today, to complete two sets. I had been working on filling in my inventory and already had wound the others but never potted them.

There is more than one kind of Death Metal?? Couldn't prove it by me. To each his own though.
                www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

I have finally got my wax pot heated up, have 5 more pickups I would like to pot tonight. Wound two of the bridge version of my Texas Blues model today, to complete two sets. I had been working on filling in my inventory and already had wound the others but never potted them.

There is more than one kind of Death Metal?? Couldn't prove it by me. To each his own though.
                  2 kinds of Death Metal, at least.
                  Loud, and much Louder! lol
                  The guitar had 2 14.5k pickups in it.
                  I micd the wire and it was .0019".
                  That should be 45 or 46 Gauge.
                  the guitar also had .050uf Caps, and huge ceramic magnets.
                  It made a Low Pitch roar.
                  I put a 15.4k 43AWG Bridge, and a 7.5k 42SPN Neck.
                  I put in a .022uf Cap in it.
                  Now it is a more Melodic Roar!
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

2 kinds of Death Metal, at least.
                    Loud, and much Louder! lol
                    The guitar had 2 14.5k pickups in it.
                    I micd the wire and it was .0019".
                    That should be 45 or 46 Gauge.
                    the guitar also had .050uf Caps, and huge ceramic magnets.
                    It made a Low Pitch roar.
                    I put a 15.4k 43AWG Bridge, and a 7.5k 42SPN Neck.
                    I put in a .022uf Cap in it.
                    Now it is a more Melodic Roar!
                    T
                    That should be better. If he needs it to be more distorted than that, there are lots of pedals.

Did you get rained out??
                    www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

That should be better. If he needs it to be more distorted than that, there are lots of pedals.

Did you get rained out??
                      We didn't get that much yesterday, about 2 inches.
                      It has rained some more tonight.
                      Maybe another 1/2 inch.
                      We missed on the heavy rain.
                      It went the length of the state, but stayed on the east side of Little Rock.
                      Terry

Comment

• I priced some of Possum's 42 PE Friday at Remington.
                        They aren't giving any bargains on that.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

I priced some of Possum's 42 PE Friday at Remington.
                          They aren't giving any bargains on that.
                          T
                          I am pretty happy with the AWC I have been getting from BAE. Kind of hate to change now that I'm used to it. Bargains and PE hardly go together.
                          www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

I am pretty happy with the AWC I have been getting from BAE. Kind of hate to change now that I'm used to it. Bargains and PE hardly go together.
                            That wire is on the heavy side. Makes great Strat pickups.

I picked up a used lefty Schecter Ultra today. It's kind of a a cross between a reverse Firebird and a Tele.
                            Mahogany body, maple/rosewood, 24 3/4", 22 frets, string through with a TOM bridge, super cheezey Duncan Designed HB's, Grover tuners.
                            The thing plays fantastic. All I need to do is replace everything but the body and neck and have a bone nut made (I may try to do it myself ) and it'll be a really nice player.

It's a tobacco burst top with dark sides and back. No pictures yet (I have it in 100 pieces) but here's a pic of a righty in a darker color.

Comment

• New Harness or not?

The wiring on the Schecter is a bit odd. The control cavity is really neat and open with only two pots, a few wires and the tone cap. All of the pickup connections are up at the 3 way selector switch. I was thinking about making a complete harness with braided cloth like a LP but I don't know if it will make that much of a difference. What do you guys think?

It also has a .047 Mylar tone cap. The guitar is heavy but it has a somewhat Stratty acoustic sound so I'm debating whether to go down to a .022 or stay with a .047. Suggestions?
                              Last edited by Stratz; 09-01-2012, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                                That wire is on the heavy side. Makes great Strat pickups.

I picked up a used lefty Schecter Ultra today. It's kind of a a cross between a reverse Firebird and a Tele.
                                Mahogany body, maple/rosewood, 24 3/4", 22 frets, string through with a TOM bridge, super cheezey Duncan Designed HB's, Grover tuners.
                                The thing plays fantastic. All I need to do is replace everything but the body and neck and have a bone nut made (I may try to do it myself ) and it'll be a really nice player.

It's a tobacco burst top with dark sides and back. No pictures yet (I have it in 100 pieces) but here's a pic of a righty in a darker color.
                                Looks like it has a lot of potential. Making bone nuts isn't too hard to do. It took me a couple of tries on the first few, but now it is not even a half hour job. One thing that helped me a lot, since I do a bunch of them was to spend about 40 bucks on a 3 inch grinder/buffer from Harbor Freight, that I don't use for anything else but nuts and saddles. Only bone or Tusq etc. That way the wheel stays true and the buffer sure is nice. But for a pretty good while, I did most of the work with files and sandpaper. The nut files are expensive but handy. I mark and cut all the slots with a .010 razor saw. Then I file them out, and finish the top. There are pre-slotted blanks too.
                                www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Working...
                                X