This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stratz View Post
    The wiring on the Schecter is a bit odd. The control cavity is really neat and open with only two pots, a few wires and the tone cap. All of the pickup connections are up at the 3 way selector switch. I was thinking about making a complete harness with braided cloth like a LP but I don't know if it will make that much of a difference. What do you guys think?

It also has a .047 Mylar tone cap. The guitar id heavy but it has a somewhat Stratty acoustic sound so I'm debating whether to go down to a .022 or stay with a .047. Suggestions?
    Might try a .033, I do that sometimes. The cap makes such a big difference.
    www.sonnywalton.com
    How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
      Might try a .033, I do that sometimes. The cap makes such a big difference.
      Do you really hear that much difference between a .033 and a .047? I don't think Ive ever used a .033 on anything. As lousy as the cheapo Duncan Designed pickups sounded (and they are cheap, you can bend the entire humbucker as there's no fence on the base plate and it's really thin as well so it's very flexible) I did find a sweet spot with the tone rolled off just a touch. I guess I'll just have to try a bunch of different caps, maybe make an external hookup for testing until I find the one I like. I need to pick up some good quality caps

I also need to wire it so the tone pots actually work for more than just the last 10% of the wiper.

Comment

• Hi Guys:
        I like the .033uf also.
        Depends on the pickups and guitar.
        I have had good luck going to the switch with 4 wire shielded Mojo pickup wire.
        So I guess that one wires from the Jack to the Pots, then to the switch.
        I guess the pickups go to the switch?
        I have a similar guitar but it has a 5 way in the control cav.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Do you really hear that much difference between a .033 and a .047? I don't think Ive ever used a .033 on anything. As lousy as the cheapo Duncan Designed pickups sounded (and they are cheap, you can bend the entire humbucker as there's no fence on the base plate and it's really thin as well so it's very flexible) I did find a sweet spot with the tone rolled off just a touch. I guess I'll just have to try a bunch of different caps, maybe make an external hookup for testing until I find the one I like. I need to pick up some good quality caps

I also need to wire it so the tone pots actually work for more than just the last 10% of the wiper.

I suggested .033 because it is about halfway in between .022 and .047, (and I have a lot of them ) I can hear more difference between .022 and .033 than I can between .033 and .047 but there is a little. When I said big difference I was mainly talking about the cap value overall, not this particular case.

I did just try it in my test strat which happened to have mini blade baby buckers in the neck and in the bridge, kind of similar in a way to what you have. I didn't have to install anything, just move the clips around. I could definitely hear more difference on the neck position than on the bridge. I used the aligator clips and played the same chords each time, switching from .022 to .033 to .047uF. The only place I couldn't hear much change was on the .033 vs .047 on the bridge. But on the neck it was there.
          www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
            I suggested .033 because it is about halfway in between .022 and .047, (and I have a lot of them ) I can hear more difference between .022 and .033 than I can between .033 and .047 but there is a little. When I said big difference I was mainly talking about the cap value overall, not this particular case.

I did just try it in my test strat which happened to have mini blade baby buckers in the neck and in the bridge, kind of similar in a way to what you have. I didn't have to install anything, just move the clips around. I could definitely hear more difference on the neck position than on the bridge. I used the aligator clips and played the same chords each time, switching from .022 to .033 to .047uF. The only place I couldn't hear much change was on the .033 vs .047 on the bridge. But on the neck it was there.
            That's what I like about a LP with 4 Knobs.
            I use a .022, or a .033 on the neck, and a .047 on the bridge usually.
            The 2 tones gives more flexibility.
            Speaking of Caps, what is the History Sonny, on the big flat Vintage Caps you have?
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              Speaking of Caps, what is the History Sonny, on the big flat Vintage Caps you have?
              T
              Depends on which ones you mean. The ones that look like the CD ZNW1P1 aren't vintage. Those are my own repros. I make those up from a network of 4 each current production small axial mutilayer ceramic caps. I think they sound pretty good. The ones that look like a red dime are vintage, but just not the exact same vintage and maker as the originals. I was unable to determine the exact date of manufacture on those, I did try to find out, but the date is on the outer box not on the bags and the supplier I got those from didn't still have the bulk pack box when I emailed him to ask. Based on all I could find out they are probably from the late 70's. I will PM you some more details on that. The smaller ones that are .05 ceramics are from 1973.
              www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• Well, whatever I do I would need to go bigger than an 047uF. It's bright enough as it is and that's with an 8K Plain Enamel HB in the neck position.
                I have some .01 orange drops, I may try that or just leave it as it is and roll off the tone a bit.
                I was mistaken about the Duncan Designed HB, it does have a fence on the base plate but everything about the pickup is just so cheesy and it shows in the sound.

Comment

T
                  I stock sets of Russian PIO caps .015 for the neck & .033 for the bridge & at a reasonable price
                  The Russian PIO .022 caps are getting hard to find & quite a bit more $$$
                  Nice guitar Stratz
                  Any one winding today ?
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

• Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                    I stock sets of Russian PIO caps .015 for the neck & .033 for the bridge & at a reasonable price
                    Nice guitar Stratz
                    Any one winding today ?
                    I rewound a bridge SC for a Strat Pick Guard.
                    Working on some bobbins, and getting ready to order some mojo parts.
                    BTW Got an email that Remington is carrying some pickup tape, and some hookup wire.
                    It looks like stuff they are getting from mojo.
                    It is on their FleaBay store.
                    The russian caps I've seen are all metal and so damn big.
                    I think I'll stick with disk, and mylars.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Well, whatever I do I would need to go bigger than an 047uF. It's bright enough as it is and that's with an 8K Plain Enamel HB in the neck position.
                      I have some .01 orange drops, I may try that or just leave it as it is and roll off the tone a bit.
                      I was mistaken about the Duncan Designed HB, it does have a fence on the base plate but everything about the pickup is just so cheesy and it shows in the sound.
                      Rip it out!
                      Does anyone know where he can get a replacement Hum Bucker?
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Nice guitar Stratz
                        Any one winding today ?
                        I wound yesterday and potted, so today I have been doing all my final measuring and test reports, etc. I have four more finished of my Texas Blues model ready to box up. I will have 2 sets by the end of the night if I don't spend too much time on emails and the forums.
                        www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

• That's cool
                          They need to carry pushback cloth & braided wire
                          Who ever tries the humbucker hookup wire please post a review
                          I guess I could ask them where the got it

Comment

That's cool
                            The only wire they have is plastic, probably topcoat 22 gauge, and 28 gauge black and white.
                            Terry

Comment

• That's cool

Comment

Rip it out!
                                Does anyone know where he can get a replacement Hum Bucker?
                                T
                                Yeah, I know a place.
                                www.sonnywalton.com

Comment

Working...
                                X