Gaussmeter Kit Group-Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

try this but wait Brad... i think that large envelope is enough
    .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
    .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

I'd probably prefer to solder the wires right to the board too, just for reliability.

So, we're looking at a total of around $90? That's a fair price (assuming that you guys have done your engineering, and it works!)

USPS Priority Mail is fine. No rush.

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
        Updated Parts List:

R1
        10k trimmer 531-PT6KV-10K (Phier) $0.41/ea

R2
        5.6K 1/4w 271-5.6K-RC 1% Metal Film (Xicon) $0.13/ea

R3
        47ohm 1/4w 271-47-RC 1% Metal Film (Xicon) $0.13/ea

C1
        330nF polyester 505-MKS20.33/63/5 (Wima) $0.49/ea

C2,C3
        100nF polyester 505-MKS2.1/63/5T (Wima) $0.27/ea

C4
        100nF polyester 505-MKS02.1/63/10 (Wima) $0.45/ea

D1
        1N4001 625-1N4001-E3/54 (Vishay) $0.04/ea

IC1
        7805T 863-MC7805BTG (On Semi) $0.55/ea

(2) N.O. MOM switch 506-MSPS103C0 (Tyco) $1.51/ea
        (2) SPST mini toggle 611-T101-001 (C&K) $4.05/ea
        (1) DIP28 (for IC3) 517-4828-6004-CP $0.31/ea

(1) 9v batt clip 534-84-6 $0.44/ea

517-929834-01-16 (Header) $0.58/ea
        517-974-01-16 (Sockets) $1.76/ea

IC2 - A1302 (hall sensor) $1.50
        IC3 - PIC16F883 (from Elepro 22-euro) $30.66-USD
        LCD Display
        763-0216K1Z-FSW-FBW (white LED backlight) $10.72/ea

-------- $59.83 ------------------

PCB $9
        -------- $68.83 ------------------

With Terminals:
        (1) 3-Term right angle header M# 571-6404553 $0.19/ea
        (1) 3-Term socket M# 571-874995 $1.00/ea
        (4) 2-Term right angle headers M# 571-6404532 $0.15/ea ...$0.60
        (4) 2-Term sockets M# 571-874993 $1.37/ea ...$5.48
        (11) Terminals M# 571-1025486 $0.45/ea ...$4.95

-------- $81.05 ------------------

This price estimate is for parts only, there will be additional cost for shipping to be worked out amoungst us ...and... assumes we can get the 22-euro rate from Elepro if we can get 10 people in on the buy.

We can drop $12 off the top if we elect to solder the wires to the board (or use surplus sourced connectors) instead of ordering the right-angle terminals and connectors from Mouser.

Shipping to me is usually under $10 from Mouser, that leaves us to decide how we all want them shipped to each of us individually.

I'd prefer to use USPS as the local UPS store is a pain in the backside. I'm guessing that slow-boat postage will be $3 or less to US addresses, Priority Post is $4.85 to US addresses and gets you 2-day delivery.

Is anyone in on this located outside the USA? we'll have to work out your shipping rate individually.
        That is fine with me. Also, I would rather just solder to the board.
        Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

I was in the Gauss meter thread and there were some posts about professional PCBs. I figured this would be better suited here then in that thread:

I've not used this place yet, but they seem reputable: BatchPCB - Home Setup is 10 bucks per order and boards are $2.50 sq/in and you get two sided, mask, and silk screening. No limit to vias or holes. They're associated with Spark Fun Electronics: http://www.sparkfun.com/

Eyeballing the board, rounding up, it looks like it's about 6 sqin (2" by 3" (50mm x 65mm)), so that brings to board price to 15 bucks then divide up the shipping and setup fee appropriately, so maybe 17 in total. We'd need board dimensions to verify, but that's a pretty conservative rough order of magnitude cost.
          -Mike

Comment

PCB

If the board was in the kit that would be perfect!!!
            I think the group wouldn't mind the board + $ to be made by Red House.
            I think the upgrade parts is a good idea!!
            An enclosure would be nice but not needed!
            I'm still in!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kerr View Post
              How much is the parts list workiing out to with the upgrades (ballpark), and what's the cutoff date? I've been skimming the threads, but maybe I'm missing something. $31-$42 for Elepro's part, about $10 for the board, and about how much for the components with the upgrades?

I'm not likely in because I've been blowing my hobby budget on other stuff, but if I can sneak this in under the wife's nose, and my buy will hit a discount threshold, I might be able to do this. I've no preference for the LCD color. And a big thanks to you guys for getting this together, esp Redhouse and Elepro, group buys can be a tremendous PITA.
              Dave, I think in the skimming you've missed all the relevant stuff!.

So let me see if I read your post right, you're aware of the PIC and PCB price but missed the cost of the components? and you have no preference on LCD color, but are not likely in on this? alrighty then Dave, let me know ...when you know.

Meanwhile look here: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t14121-2/#post111645
              Last edited by RedHouse; 07-08-2009, 01:02 AM.
              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
                I was in the Gauss meter thread and there were some posts about professional PCBs. I figured this would be better suited here then in that thread:

I've not used this place yet, but they seem reputable: BatchPCB - Home Setup is 10 bucks per order and boards are $2.50 sq/in and you get two sided, mask, and silk screening. No limit to vias or holes. They're associated with Spark Fun Electronics: ENGINE

Eyeballing the board, rounding up, it looks like it's about 6 sqin (2" by 3" (50mm x 65mm)), so that brings to board price to 15 bucks then divide up the shipping and setup fee appropriately, so maybe 17 in total. We'd need board dimensions to verify, but that's a pretty conservative rough order of magnitude cost.
                Defaced (Mike), not shure if I get your point. You said you to count you as "possibly in", are you definately in now?

If you are definately in and contributing the notion that we should consider paying $17 (+ Ship) for a double-sided board with mask and silk screening? (rather than the $9 PCB boards I have offered to include) we would need to know when could you have them delivered to me for inclusion in the kit?

Lets see what the others who are definately in would like to do, after all it's a group buy, not an ala-carte right?.

What say y'all, shall we pursue the BatchPCB - Home professional PCB for this group-buy?

Defaced (Mike), so if it's all good and we vote yes on going this route, when can you have them delivered to me for inclusion in the kit? we would need some time estimate I would think, perhaps you can contact them and post the actual cost estimate and delivery time so we could make a decision?

BTW Mike thanks for volunteering to head this up, I personally have enough on my plate with what I've offered to do already. Which bring up another point, how would group members pay you for this? I'm not prepared to invest in BatchPCB on behalf of anyone.
                Last edited by RedHouse; 07-08-2009, 01:04 AM.
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Ok here is the most current Who's In List:

11 Definate Participants:
                  Redhouse
                  David Schwab
                  JasonG
                  spy
                  firewire
                  Bruce Johnson
                  Arndawg56
                  LtKojak
                  mkat
                  automan
                  Dave Kerr

1 Possible
                  defaced

So far, everyone has agreed to sub'ing the decent C&K toggle switches and 1% MF resistors.

So far we have 4 (Redhouse, Bruce, Spy, Arndawg56) that would prefer to solder directly to the board and eliminate the 2-term and 3-term connectors (xtra $12), ....what say the rest of you?

Allright! I think we have enough members on-board to get Elepro's 10+ discount of 22-euro ($30USD) ...way to go!
                  (care to go for 15+ ?)
                  Last edited by RedHouse; 07-08-2009, 01:52 PM.
                  -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by firewire View Post
                    If the board was in the kit that would be perfect... an enclosure would be nice...
                    Firewire, that's what my intentions were, but now there is a notion to out-source the PCB (which is alright with me) but will throw a new dimension onto this as far a time and cost. Mike (defaced) would be having them made, then shipping them to me, then me shipping them out to you all.

I have no idea what time frame his PCB people require but it's gotta add at least a week-to-10 days to the whole thing. We'll know more when everybody votes on it, and of course after Mike posts what his costs and time frame will be.

As far as the enclosure thing, don't forget that Bruce is offering to make enclosures after he gets his kit and can finalize dimensions and stuff, keep that in mind.
                    Last edited by RedHouse; 07-08-2009, 01:18 AM.
                    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      PayPal is a good way to go, and allows even those people without PayPal to pay by credit card.

RH, make sure you add a buffer for the PayPal fees is that's the way you prefer payment, the nickle and diming on that kind of thing can add up quickly.
                      Which brings up the matter of payment.

We don't have the exact figure yet, as not everyone has chimed-in with how they vote on shipping. So far it's looking like USPS Priority is the preferred option. We need to be unanimous though so lets wait until other chime in.

I'm ok with Paypal, ...but... as Dave Kerr mentioned they will ding me a 3% charge and 35¢ per transaction if anyone pays with a credit card. It's only fair for each person to pay his own way and not expect me to pay 3% so they can make an easy payment, I'm not willing to carry anyone's financing, I volunteered to do the leg work, coordination and shipping.

So if you plan to pay with a credit card you will need to bump your share's payment up by 3.3% and send that amount to my Paypal when we know what that will be exactly.

USPS Postal Money Orders are ok with me too, just make sure that when we do the "last call" thing here, you send them priority post to get them here in a couple days, not a week or two.

Please don't ask me to take a personal, bank or cashier's check, can't do it these days.

LtKojak and Spy are both outside the USA, I will communicate via PM with them directly to determine what additional shipping cost will be for international shipping, of course they will pay the same as everyone else for the domestic part but add a little more because of international shipping is a bit more.
                      (TBD individually by PM)

Are we still ALL on board?
                      Last edited by RedHouse; 07-08-2009, 02:00 AM.
                      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Dude, that post went up about an hour after mine, and it did indeed indicate that this should come in well under $100. When's the cutoff date on this?

Comment

Dude, that post went up about an hour after mine, and it did indeed indicate that this should come in well under $100. When's the cutoff date on this?
                          Sorry for the mis-communication then. My IE must be caching old pages as I didn't see your post this morning when I was logged on here.

So Dave are you in?

We haven't determined a cut-off date yet, we're still determining who's interested and who's IN. So far as the thread shows we have made the 10 minimum for a price break on the PIC's from Elepro, we should give it a couple more days to pick up any straglers who might be away on vacation (as it is summertime after all) perhaps wait untill the 11th of July to start moving toward the "last call", then move toward the finalizing steps as was detailed in the initial post. Does that sound right to everybody?
                          Last edited by RedHouse; 07-08-2009, 02:07 AM.
                          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Why would anyone want to pay $17 + when they are being offered for $9. It would also add to the amount of time it would take to receive my kit. I would rather have it sooner, and pay less money.

Dawg

Comment

Sorry for the mis-communication then. My IE must be caching old pages as I didn't see your post this morning when I was logged on here.

So Dave are you in?
                              Yep, my IE was not updating webpages on each visit, sorry Dave.
                              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

So Dave are you in?
                                No problem, and sure, I should be able to hide this somehow, esp paying via money order.
                                Soldering directly to the board works for me, as does priority mail shipping. I'm fine with having you (RH) doing the PCB work for about 1/2 the price of the other option if you're willing, and outsourcing the work isn't a deal breaker for me . Still indifferent on the LCD color.

Comment

Working...
                                X