Gaussmeter Kit Group-Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David,
    The price is per actual sq/in, meaning there is no rounding up to the nearest whole square inch. So our board at 1.6" * 3.3" = 5.28 sq/in, which at $2.50 sq/in = $13.20. From my reading of their FAQ, they gang up each order's boards, and send off a composite order for manufacturer, which is one of the reasons for the lower cost compared to other places.

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
    No offence taken, sorry if my post reads that way. I didn't realize I had a tone.
    (anyone know how come it's so easy to have "tone" in writing, but so much hard work to find "tone" in building Amps/Effects/pickups)

When I saw your post I thought you were offering to do something, I didn't realise you were offering for me to do something more.

I volunteered to do the legwork, source and distribute the parts, and throw in a PCB for next to nothing. Please don't think I'm being some kind of grinch about it, but I make my own PCB's (*) for my business and clients so I'm sure you understand if I wouldn't be buying from your PCB house.

So, you're not offering to set it up then?

*except in the case of that A/DA flanger boards that Moosapotamous (CharlieB) did, I just had to pay for one of those, it was sweet.
    In my initial post regarding Batch PCB, I was offering an option for discussion based on your post here (http://music-electronics-forum.com/t13187/#post111602), the person to do the work is irrelevant, and in reality, is very little work: export mfg files from Elepro's layout file, zip them up, and upload them to the site. In total, that's maybe 1 hour for the whole process if you've never done it before and the design doesn't need tweaked. However, in my reply, I did offer to manage the boards if there is interest, which thus far there isn't, so the whole discussion is becoming more moot as we go on.

Personally from my own experience on DIY boards that I've made, I don't like assembling them. Solder wets like crap on bare copper traces unless you cover them with flux, which is sticky and gets everywhere. Unmasked boards have a tendency to bridge traces and require covering the copper to keep is from oxidizing. And, boards without silk screen keep me looking at the schem and board layout pages. To me, a 6 dollar increase, which is less than the connectors we've been voting on and about 10% of the total cost of the project, is worth not having to mess with those nuisances of DIY boards. Not to say you don't make a damn good board, which from your pictures you do, just that I have developed some preferences as I have tried different things and am willing to pay more in some areas as compared to others.

Again, I don't care which way the group goes. I have nothing to gain or lose from this so vote away.
    -Mike

Comment

Ok here is the most current Who's In List:

13 Definate Participants:
      Redhouse
      David Schwab
      JasonG
      spy
      firewire
      Bruce Johnson
      Arndawg56
      LtKojak
      mkat
      automan
      Dave Kerr
      John H
      defaced

So far the majority agrees to:

1.) w/o terminals
      2.) domestic (USA) shipping to be USPS Priority 2nd day at $4.95
      3.) International additional shipping for LtKojak and Spy is TBD by PM/email
      4.) LCD is the one with the white backlight that looks like a cell phone screen
      (makes life easier for those of us who wear glasses)
      5.) PCB by me

Next Steps:
      IMHO we should wait until July 11th (this comming Saturday) to do the "Last Call", please chime-in here if you believe otherwise.

Please review the list of participants, if you are in and I missed your name on the list please make more noise or PM me so I can get you on the list. I certainly would not intentionally leave anyone out so help me here if you catch me missing you.

Saturday July 11th 2009 we should do the Last Call which means folks should start transfering their funds which is the final commitment.

The Last Call should extend at least a week to allow time for everyone who is participating to get onboard and get their fundage transferred. We can bump that out if the group needs it to be.

At this time I will post the Paypal address and PM/email the my street address to those who wish to pay through USPS Money Order.
      (I prefer my street address not be here in the forum thread's text to be searchable/exploitable by web-bots)

Saturday July 18th 2009 we will review the fundage, who's paid who's not and make sure everyone is in who wants to be in.

At this point we will "close" the group-buy. At this time I will place both the Mouser and Elepro orders and transfer the groups funds to Mouser and Elepro.

Mouser usually ships UPS and usually takes about 5-7 days to deliver to me.

I have no ETA on the shipping time from Elepro but it may take a week or two as he is in Italy.

When Parts Arrive:
      I will post updates here in this thread as parts arrive to me, and when all are here I will bag and ship everyone's parts, and post here when your package gets shipped so you all know exactly what's going on.

David Schwab brings up a good point (doesn't he always?) regarding whether the probe should use terminals. While I too have contemplated that aspect I intend to wait until I get my parts and work out the enclosure details to see if it needs to be removable or not, and if the terminals Elepro suggested are what I want to use. I may opt for a different kind of panel mounted terminal connector to make my probe removable possibly that small USB connector that many cameras use, but I can't know until I get the unit working and see how things go as far as usability.

It's really not a big deal because the choice we make here is not a permanent choice it's just to keep the intial buy-in costs down for the group as a whole.

If we opt-out on terminals and anyone changes their mind later just keep in mind that all the Mouser part numbers are right here in this thread and so you can easily place an order at Mouser and pick up the terminals after the group-buy if you change your mind.

Have I missed anything?

BTW: if we get just 2 more people in on this we can get the next price break from Elepro, his offer was at 10+ (22-euro/$30.66-USD) and if we get 15+ into the group-buy we can get 20-euro/$27.87-USD
      Last edited by RedHouse; 07-09-2009, 03:53 AM. Reason: gobs of typo's
      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
        ...Personally from my own experience on DIY boards that I've made, I don't like assembling them. Solder wets like crap on bare copper traces unless you cover them with flux, which is sticky and gets everywhere. Unmasked boards have a tendency to bridge traces and require covering the copper to keep is from oxidizing. And, boards without silk screen keep me looking at the schem and board layout pages. To me, a 6 dollar increase, which is less than the connectors we've been voting on and about 10% of the total cost of the project, is worth not having to mess with those nuisances of DIY boards...
        Well ok then, in your case, because you have all those issues with boards that are not masked and silk screened, and I feel sorry for ya, I will load your parts onto your board for you to keep you from all the distress you might encounter with my product, it's an offer for you only since your list is long.

PS: if you feel the $6 difference is ok, you can certainly throw that $6 my way for loading your board.
        (you are not obliged, it's just a suggestion )
        Last edited by RedHouse; 07-09-2009, 04:03 AM.
        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

I've noticed since the original post of this thread, when I asked if any of the members who already have a commercial meter would participate in helping validate the DIY meter we are doing in this group-buy, we haven't had any takers. (no posts or PM's)

A search of the forum threads which mention gauss meters comes up with a list of 6 members who have said they own commercial gauss meters, it's hard to believe none are willing to help out validating this effort.

I live in the Seattle area (Sammamish, Wa) and understand that both Wolfe M. and Jason L live in the area, I'll try to contact them and see if either has a commercial gauss meter and may be willing to assist.
          Good News!

Wolfe Marshall has agreed to help out with validating our gauss meter against his. Once we have our parts and I put together my meter I can meet with him then post the results here in this thread.

THANKS WOLFE

We should be able to determine if these meters are right-on, close, or at the very least determine what offset or calibration may be needed to align them close enough.

I'm thinking we should cross-test them with most-likely target magnets and target gauss ranges, A5 rods and A2/A5 HB mags for sure.

Although it's not mandatory to know exatly where they stand as most of us will be using them for relative measurements, it will be very cool to see how they compare.

What strengths (gauss) would you all say would be most useful to us to check the meter at?
          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

All good on my end. I'm happy with or without the terminals unless there's a good case to go with.
            int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */
            www.ozbassforum.com

Comment

Well ok then, in your case, because you have all those issues with boards that are not masked and silk screened, and I feel sorry for ya, I will load your parts onto your board for you to keep you from all the distress you might encounter with my product, it's an offer for you only since your list is long.

PS: if you feel the $6 difference is ok, you can certainly throw that $6 my way for loading your board.
              (you are not obliged, it's just a suggestion )
              Thanks, but no thanks. After all, this is a group buy and not ala-carte, and loading my board certainly wouldn't be fair for the group.
              -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
                Thanks, but no thanks. After all, this is a group buy and not ala-carte, and loading my board certainly wouldn't be fair for the group.
                Ok then, but if you change your mind just let me know.
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

can I ask is this project easy or difficult to assemble? I'm a novice at these things (but not incapable). If there are no guidelines to put it together perhaps I should pass.

Comment

watch the thread in my signature.....
                    and if you have question ask me...

bye
                    .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
                    .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
                      On both voting topics, either one is fine with me. I really don't care whether the price is $73 or $88.

Let's make it happen.
                      + 1 . If Redhouse thinks the terminals are a good thing, I'll go with'em. I trust his judgement in the best interest of the project and for all participants.
                      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                      Milano, Italy

Comment

• i think that connector for probe could be better.... in the future if you want can have two probe: one with a1302 for alnico ceramic etc... and another one with ad22151 for neodimium and other stong magnet....
                        .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
                        .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

• OK, I'm in as well. I figure if i can save money on a gauss meter and learn something at the same time then what the hell. I'm in Canada so I'll probably need a quote for shipping. Thanks...

Comment

• This is great! We are very close for the next price break from Elepro. We need one more!

Comment

• Now, if some of us were sly enterprising types, we could order several kits. Then we could build them up and sell them as functioning units, or hoard them and sell them for a higher price to late-comers. Just a suggestion.....

I'm tempted, but I'm swamped with projects right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
                                Now, if some of us were sly enterprising types, we could order several kits. Then we could build them up and sell them as functioning units, or hoard them and sell them for a higher price to late-comers. Just a suggestion.....

I'm tempted, but I'm swamped with projects right now.
                                That's not a bad idea... I'd do it if I had the funds...
                                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                                X