Gaussmeter Kit Group-Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
    Now, if some of us were sly enterprising types, we could order several kits. Then we could build them up and sell them as functioning units, or hoard them and sell them for a higher price to late-comers.
    ... or like me take a flyer on yet another mini-project realizing that it may be a couple months before even opening the box from RH, while thinking that there may very well be a late-comer to forward it on to.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Elepro- View Post
      i think that connector for probe could be better.... in the future if you want can have two probe: one with a1302 for alnico ceramic etc... and another one with ad22151 for neodimium and other stong magnet....
      I was under the impression we had that with the current design, is this not the case?.

On mine, my thought was to have a connector on the outside of the enclosure so the probe could be changed or removed when not in use.
      -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Now, if some of us were sly enterprising types, we could order several kits. Then we could build them up and sell them as functioning units, or hoard them and sell them for a higher price to late-comers. Just a suggestion.....

I'm tempted, but I'm swamped with projects right now.
        Right before I volunteered to coordinate this group-buy, I contemplated that very scenario and it seemed like a good idea ...for a minute.

But as I considered the market for these, which is a very small niche market (forum pickup winders) and a very narrow customer path (mainly this forum), and realized that to make up like for instance 10 units I'd be into it like $336 in PIC's and $130 in LCD's not to mention enclosures between $15-$50 plus the personal time to etch, stuff, assemble, and test the units I realized I'd be laying out $500-$600 in parts and need to tack-on too big an assembly charge, nobody (here) would be wanting to buy them and I'd waiting around to recoup the cash. Times being what they are, I can't have long-green tied up in a narrow low-yield prospect right now but maybe when the economy picks up I might be something to reconsider.

Yep, I realised a group-buy scenario was a better solution to everyone into a gauss meter for a decent price.
        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
          On mine, my thought was to have a connector on the outside of the enclosure so the probe could be changed or removed when not in use.
          Great idea, Brad!

Comment

I was under the impression we had that with the current design, is this not the case?.

perfect solution....
            .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
            .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

i think that connector for probe could be better.... in the future if you want can have two probe: one with a1302 for alnico ceramic etc... and another one with ad22151 for neodimium and other stong magnet....
              Is that simply a matter of switching probes with the different sensor?

I use a lot of neo magnets, so would want to be able to use it with them.

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
              That was my thought also.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

..... and it seemed like a good idea ...for a minute.
                I was partly joking....I've been through the same thing with my coil winder. I often get inquiries about building replicas or kits of my machine. But when you actually add up the numbers, it's unlikely that I would ever sell any of them at a price that would break even on my cost and labor. Luthiers and pickup makers don't have any money and aren't going to pay for someone else's labor. We try to deny it, but this is a hobby, not a rational business.

Comment

I was partly joking....I've been through the same thing with my coil winder. I often get inquiries about building replicas or kits of my machine. But when you actually add up the numbers, it's unlikely that I would ever sell any of them at a price that would break even on my cost and labor. Luthiers and pickup makers don't have any money and aren't going to pay for someone else's labor. We try to deny it, but this is a hobby, not a rational business.
                  Yes Bruce, and I'd like to add this to what you said:

IMHO not so much because we're cheap or broke, but we're do'ers, we wind because we can, we build pickups, guitars, effects, amps etc....because we can, and because we like to.

What I meant to convey in my verbiage was that IMHO by the time a pre-built gauss meter became a purchase'able item, the cost would out-weigh the sweat-equity we all normally apply to our craft.
                  -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    Is that simply a matter of switching probes with the different sensor?.....
                    ...this version of firmware has probe selection and calibration for each one.....

bye
                    .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
                    .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

...this version of firmware has probe selection and calibration for each one.....
                      Yay! I'm liking this more and more.

Elepro, you are a wiz! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Anyone have any ideas for a nice connector for the probes?
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

• Hi Folks,
                        I'm so glad to see that this is coming together like this, Thanks Red House!
                        I've been away from 'puters for a week or two but I'm most definitely IN!!

I haven't had time to read through the 4 preceeding pages but I'll got to them . I implicitly trust the great minds that have been working this out so far so will just be happy to go along with group-think.

Comment

• Now I don't mean to raise a stink but, what arrangements have been made with elepro about a demo modal? He has a lot to gain in this transaction and we are all gambling on his expertise. We are talking about a chip that goes for 2 bucks so I don't think it would be unreasonable to have him send the appropriate member a chip. If the project passes the member could buy the chip from him everyone wins.
                          If this is ends up being the best tool for this crowed his project could be added to the supplies list as a form of forum endorsement which would cost the forum nothing and boost his sales. Just a thought.

Comment

• That's not a bad idea Jason.

Comment

• Originally posted by JasonG View Post
                              Now I don't mean to raise a stink but, what arrangements have been made with elepro about a demo modal? He has a lot to gain in this transaction and we are all gambling on his expertise. We are talking about a chip that goes for 2 bucks so I don't think it would be unreasonable to have him send the appropriate member a chip. If the project passes the member could buy the chip from him everyone wins.
                              If this is ends up being the best tool for this crowed his project could be added to the supplies list as a form of forum endorsement which would cost the forum nothing and boost his sales. Just a thought.
                              Hey Red House, if Elepro is on the "up and up", and he seems to be an allright guy to me, He shouldn't mind shipping his completed unit to you so you could test it out for the rest of us on this side of the pond. We could all chip in to pay for the round trip shipping costs. After all, he does stand to gain quite a bit.

What do you say Elepro? We are trusting you, can you trust us?

What does everybody else think?

Maybe Red House can even get with the guy who has the commercial guassmeter, and can test it.

Win-Win

Comment

• Originally posted by David King View Post
                                Hi Folks,
                                I'm so glad to see that this is coming together like this, Thanks Red House!
                                I've been away from 'puters for a week or two but I'm most definitely IN!!

I haven't had time to read through the 4 preceeding pages but I'll got to them . I implicitly trust the great minds that have been working this out so far so will just be happy to go along with group-think.
                                David, I read your post on the other thread:

....I wouldn't mind being in on the group buy but also have the capability to create my own pcb the old fashioned way and probably have all the passive components in my collection. I think we'd need at least 10 folks to make it worthwhile and then the savings would be mostly in time.. I'll check out the other thread....
                                I'm not understanding you.

Are you wanting to be in on this ...but... make your own PCB?, or are you offering to make PCB's for the group?.
                                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Working...
                                X