Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checkout Black Market on Vice with Michael K. Williams. He goes in and shows the underbelly of scams and such. pretty interesting.
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      You'd think anyone that clever could figure out how to make a living in the legitimate world.?.
      I always thought the same about hackers. Programming jobs pay good money if you have skills.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dude View Post

I always thought the same about hackers. Programming jobs pay good money if you have skills.
        I guess it may come down to how many jobs are available in that expertise. *oogle, *icrosoft and *pple have people crunching programs to chase and follow internet activity by individuals that can then be used for marketing, etc. But if you're not working for them what would you do with similar skills??? I think it's that combined with individuals that have lost all ability for a humanitarian connection that choose to scam. But this is just me thinking on it. I really can't identify with many motivations for scamming.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• Warning: Rabid Speculation:

I always thought many of them didn't want to work for "The Man". IMO, it seems to fit the profile. So, working for the corporate world probably wouldn't appeal to those types. HOWEVER, I know lots of self employed, and/or work at home, solo talents that make good money (for instance) designing web pages, writing code for other businesses, etc. I think the work is there if you choose. And like you, I can't identify with motivations for hacking or scamming. It makes no sense to me. Then again, some steal property while some work for it. I suppose it isn't much different, except I never understood the thieving mindset either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

You'd think anyone that clever could figure out how to make a living in the legitimate world.?.

Originally posted by The Dude View Post

Oh, but their "skills" are VERY crude, not much more than sending self replicating emails to spread around (for which there must be a basic template available),and very crude Photoshopping to steal pictures of "desirable" people they claim to be.

Not even advanced "Dark Web" skills to move money, they rely on victims´stupidity (sorry but there´s no other word) to have tons of money sent to untraceable recipients using Western Union, Moneygram, *gift cards*, *online game tickets*, and even Bitcoin.

Victims are actively warned by friends and Family, shown proof, and they INSIST "but this is real".

I´ve been binge watching these "catfish" scam videos, simply because I can not believe people behave that way , "this must be an exception", etc. ... and then another another another , same stupid tricks, different people.

Oh, and about "IT salaries".
            To get them you need to be at least above average, these guys know little to nothing and regularly get U$50k to U$100k "paychecks".

Just a couple free samples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whM0-f3LFHU&t=12s

it gets worse: *after* the truth was told her, that she was sending money to a 17 year old scammer from Lagos, Nigeria, she *again* tried to send extra U$8000 to him.

She *begged* her husband for that money, so her "lover" would come pick her up and both move together to Texas, leaving the Family behind.
            You can´t make this stuff up:

https://youtu.be/ndmOewXZBvo?t=117

EDIT: you think sending U$50k is way too much? ..... watch THIS one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiJAcLgyH7o

Last edited by J M Fahey; 08-30-2022, 08:47 AM.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• We still get the new medicare card phone calls.
              They want to send a new card, but first they need your medicare number, from your old card.
              The intent is to prey on the eldest of the elderly.
              Hoping you will be confused and give them your private info.
              Let's hang them all!
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Let's hang them all!
                How can you say that with a smile

Clearly hangin' is too good for 'em. Let's peel them instead

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

• Why choose? Can't we do both?

Comment

• I get Spam calls often. I can usually tell an incoming spam call.
                    My new way of answering with quickest hangup responses?
                    "Spam division Hot-Line, head prosecutor speaking, how can I help you?
                    Some hangup before I get the whole spiel out!
                    I might as well have a little fun with it!
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

• i have verizon and use the call filter absolutely zero spam calls.
                      nosaj
                      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

• Good for You!
                        The spam calls are on my land line, have to do with SS and medicare.
                        I usually let them go to my answer Machine.
                        I'm on the do not call list and that helps.
                        My cell phone gets none.
                        Other Seniors tell me they get the same calls.
                        Last edited by big_teee; 06-08-2023, 11:48 AM.
                        Terry

Comment

• On my landline we still get junk spam calls, even though we are on the do not call list!
                          Lately it is about a new medicare type C plan.
                          I ask if the new plan will cover my Medical marijuana?
                          They hang up every time!
                          I don't do marijuana, but an interesting talking point!
                          T
                          Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                            On my landline we still get junk spam calls, even though we are on the do not call list!
                            Lately it is about a new medicare type C plan.
                            I ask if the new plan will cover my Medical marijuana?
                            They hang up every time!
                            I don't do marijuana, but an interesting talking point!
                            T
                            That's funny. Sometimes when a printed product solicitor calls me I tell them I'm blind and ask if they offer a brail version of their product. Sometimes I even follow with "Or does your company discriminate against the sight impaired?" It's actually sort of mean since the poor sap on the phone is just doing a job and NEVER has a good answer.

Comment

• When I get the silence that means the call is being transferred to a live telemarketer, I wait for the real person. Then I respond with 'visa security'.
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

• Originally posted by EmmanuelTheis
                                scammers can be quite crafty with their tactics.
                                In my experience, even more clever are the ones that join forums to make seemingly relevant posts, and then return with spam links.

Originally posted by Enzo
                                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                                X