Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But, they ask for me or my wife by name.
    How do they know?
    They say they are medicare advisors, but they speak broken english?
    I know it is a Scam!
    That is why I was wondering if SS and medicare folks are on a national directory somewhere?
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• If your being targeted like that . they have your data from somewhere and will keep trying till someone bites.
      nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

• As soon as you turn 65, you start getting all the supplemental insurance calls.
        I think they get the new names from the government.
        I just did a google search on my name and my wife's name, if we are on medicare, or SS.
        I didn't get anything.

Today I got a call wanting to send me a new Medicare card.
        I said to mail it to me. I know that is a scam that has been around for a while.
        He said he would need the info off of my old card.
        I asked him, if he really thought I was stupid enough to give out that info?
        He said yes, that is why He called!
        It was a good thing he wasn't standing at the door.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

• Here's the series https://www.vicetv.com/en_us/show/bl...ael-k-williams
          Attached is the episode I was talking about.
          nosaj
          Young street genius entrepreneurs have mastered stealing your identity

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            As soon as you turn 65, you start getting all the supplemental insurance calls.
            I think they get the new names from the government.
            I just did a google search on my name and my wife's name, if we are on medicare, or SS.
            I didn't get anything.
            T
            If you wish, PM me your full name and City where you live, no numbers involved, certainly no SS of course, let me see what I get from "outside".
            FWIW I could easily find disconnected for years Family and friends.

Besides that, I would not be surprised at some Govt. related low life employee selling such "customer" lists and of course we have the almighty Google busily storing and classifying all Data they get about us

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

• I just got another call this evening 6:30 PM CT.
              I kept him on the line as long as I could.
              I asked him where he was and that his english was bad.
              He said he was in MO. but he did not say Missouri.
              He said he spoke spanish.
              Caller ID, said Razorback, and showed a local prefix number.
              He said I must go get my medicare card.
              I told him I was only 26, and I wasn't on medicare.
              He said no, you are 72 and gave my name and my wife's name.
              I told him, that if he wanted me to have a new card to send it to me.
              He wanted the info off my old card.
              I told him not to call me anymore.
              He said to F^^k Off, and he hung up.
              Apparently he only knows my name and age.
              The info on the card is what he is really after.
              Good thing, I kept him away from others for a while, and frustrated the hell out of him.

T
              Last edited by big_teee; 02-04-2022, 12:03 AM.
              Terry

Comment

• Did you report it?
                It seems pretty obvious to me your info is involved in a data breach of some kind.
                nosaj

Comment

• report it where?
                  I reported it here, does that count?
                  My buddies say they get the same calls.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

• Well here's a site the FTC would like you to use:

https://www.usa.gov/stop-scams-frauds

And the AARP is doing some good 'looking out' and would like you to report to them so can take care of members:

https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fra...SKTOP-NonBrand

Further, most cell phone service providers have a site for reporting scams. It turns out they really don't like scammers on their networks. You can look up your provider and search their site for where to report spam.

As far as catching these dirtbags, good luck. They rent numbers like dope dealers use burner phones. Records are confidential. Try calling back a spammer sometime on the number they dialed in on. You're likely to get a busy signal or a disconnected number notification.

And personal info sales isn't limited to scammers either. I recently gave to the Law Enforcement Officers Relief Fund. They were easy to work with and courteous. Then my phone started blowing up and it hasn't stopped in two months. I get several automated calls every day from other charities looking for a payout. But that's not all. I also get calls from companies that want to extend my auto warranty, pitch life insurance, etc... And these automated calls are using the same rented number MO that the scammers use. I suppose they took a tip on how to be successful at this from the real players.

Guess who's never getting another dime from me. Sell my damn phone number on a list of potential donators. I guess they weren't happy enough with what I gave? So they squeezed the rag trying to get the last drop out by taking my money and then selling my info.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• The same thing happened to me after donating to the FOP years ago when I had my own business. I was inundated with spam for months. The following year, they called again. The nice person on the other end of the phone said, "This is (name here) with the FOP calling about your donation". I told her that was wonderful and asked her how much they were sending me. She kept trying to explain and I kept asking her how much I was getting. After a while she just hung up.
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

• Thanks Chuck for all the info.
                        I get some of all of those calls.
                        The robo calls don't bother me too much.
                        Don't forget the amazon charge calls, and the going to jail calls.

I'm fine, I just need to vent now and then!
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

• I'm with ya, T. There are times I wish bullets could travel through phone lines.
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                            I'm with ya, T. There are times I wish bullets could travel through phone lines.
                            I'd settle for (or maybe even be happier with) punches.
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• For some forgotten reason, recently I looked up one of my factory inside reps at an amp manufacturer. A simple google search brought me his address, the current market value of his home, that he is registered to vote, is a registered republican (But I like him anyway) Phone number, and a bunch of other stuff. I wasn't even digging deep. SO much stuff is out in public anyway. Voter registration is a p8ublic record. There is your name and age right there. Property ownership is a public record. A lot of listings for phone or address will include spouse and dependent names. No one put a detective on your case to find out this stuff. As soon as I turned 65, the medical insurance calls started. SImple matter of the public record run through a sort for age.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                                I'm with ya, T. There are times I wish bullets could travel through phone lines.
                                Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

I'd settle for (or maybe even be happier with) punches.
                                Maybe electric shocks? (a la Buckaroo Bonzai)
                                If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                                If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                                We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
                                X