Gaussmeter Kit Group-Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mkat View Post
    Are these the microphone connectors you were thinking of?
    Pretty much, yes.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Hardwire the sensor for now. You can always change it later.

Comment

• Originally posted by mkat View Post
        I made a couple of leads for the probe, still haven't made the probe yet. One with a microphone connector and another one straight to the connector on the board. The shop only had a 5 pin unfortunately. Still undecided which I'll go with. Are these the microphone connectors you were thinking of?
        Excellent job MKAT!
        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
          Excellent job MKAT!
          Thanks Brad, but all credit goes to Elpro and yourself, and a few others who posted connector and sensor ideas (David S for the templates too). I'm working straight off the instructions you guys wrote.

Joe, I'll do that thanks. I bought a few diodes anyway, and couple more A1302 sensors just incase . I also hope to try a AD22151YRZ.

Still waiting on the enclosure , but the display is ready to go. Just need to finish the probe.
          int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */
          www.ozbassforum.com

Comment

• I'm experimenting with other LCD displays, my 2nd kit is destined to be a bench-top meter up on the shelf above my workbench near my Power Supply and Scope.

This new display is actually bigger than the box I mounted the other one in! I can read it just fine w/o my glasses.

Not shure I like the Blue-n-White thing though, sure it looks cool and different and all that, but requiring a constant back-light to be readable where the other one we used in the kit is readable in both modes. In retrospect I should have gone with the same style as we used in the group-buy kit.

This display requires a crossover-cable, it's not pin compatible with the gaussmeter PCB header.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by RedHouse; 09-22-2009, 01:12 PM.
            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Well, I got mine finished tonight! It works great. I haven't made the other probe yet, so as can be expected, it goes out of range on neodyniums.

This was a fun project, and the first piece of test equipment I've made since an analog VOM kit from Radio Shack back in the day.
              Attached Files
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                Well, I got mine finished tonight! It works great. I haven't made the other probe yet, so as can be expected, it goes out of range on neodyniums.

This was a fun project, and the first piece of test equipment I've made since an analog VOM kit from Radio Shack back in the day.
                Dude! my first "kit" build was a VOM too, not an RS, but still. I was like 15 or 16 years old (1976?). Oh man, I remember being so proud of that thing.

I used it for like 10 years before I lost it in a house-move. Wonder where it ever went.

That CB-mic plug/socket on the probe looks like f'shizzle, I need to get that going on my "bench" unit.
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• My gaussmeter finished.

Use measurement pickup output?

Thank you RedHouse
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                    Dude! my first "kit" build was a VOM too, not an RS, but still. I was like 15 or 16 years old (1976?). Oh man, I remember being so proud of that thing.

I used it for like 10 years before I lost it in a house-move. Wonder where it ever went.

That CB-mic plug/socket on the probe looks like f'shizzle, I need to get that going on my "bench" unit.
                    Yeah, that was about the same time for me. It's was a blue "Archer" meter. I also used that for a long time, and then the digital meters came out...

The CB mic jack worked out well, but was a little tricky to install. It's almost the entire depth of one side of the case, and I didn't have a drill bit that large. Then it exceeded the height my bench-top drill press can do, but I managed to get a 3/4" hole drilled with a brad point bit, and then used my Dremel in the router base upside down as a router table to enlarge the hole... which I made a little too big. I also had to leave room for the jack's nut. In the end I made a hole in a piece of PC board and epoxied that in for extra support. In the end it came out fine.

I left the sensor flat, the way Joe did, and I didn't include the cap.

Comment

• David, any news about your second probe?
                      .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
                      .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

In another thread one of these guassmeters is reading 438 guass off a D or G pole, that is really exceptionally low reading. Is it alnico 3? I have some alnico 3 strat pickups here and they read about 650 guass. What are you calibrating these meters against?
                        http://www.SDpickups.com
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

• Originally posted by Possum View Post
                          In another thread one of these guassmeters is reading 438 guass off a D or G pole, that is really exceptionally low reading. Is it alnico 3? I have some alnico 3 strat pickups here and they read about 650 guass. What are you calibrating these meters against?
                          in that photo you can see that gaussmeter is in normal mode (Nm on display)....not in hold peak mode which is better for magnet measures.... probably probe is not perfectly put near the magnet surface...

ciao

Comment

Well just for comparison an alnico D or G pole fully charged is about 1200 guass, not fully, around 1000-1200. I use the AlphaLab gaussmeter...
                            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I meant to say an alnico 5 magnet, D or G pole...
                              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

• Originally posted by Possum View Post
                                Well just for comparison an alnico D or G pole fully charged is about 1200 guass, not fully, around 1000-1200. I use the AlphaLab gaussmeter...
                                same values for me...

ciao
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X