No announcement yet.

Gaussmeter Kit Group-Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got mine ! It just made it to the top of my projects list! Thanks again Brad!

Comment

• Mine came through today too! I probably won't get to assembling it for a few weeks, though.....

Many thanks, Brad!

Comment

• I got mine today too! I should be able to get it done wednesday after I finish my business in Maine
        Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

• Everyone seems to be mounting the sensor a few inches from the main board. Other than gaining the ability to aim the sensor is there another reason for doing that?
          In other words is there a minimum distance that the sensor has to be from the board?

Comment

• I want to get a case for mine before I build it.

Anyone know of a nice case that it will fit into?
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Originally posted by JasonG View Post
              Everyone seems to be mounting the sensor a few inches from the main board. Other than gaining the ability to aim the sensor is there another reason for doing that?
              In other words is there a minimum distance that the sensor has to be from the board?
              I was going to ask that same question....Is there likely to be any problem with mounting the sensor right on the side of the enclosure? For my use, I think that would be more convenient.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
                I was going to ask that same question....Is there likely to be any problem with mounting the sensor right on the side of the enclosure? For my use, I think that would be more convenient.
                That will work fine.

Originally posted by JasonG View Post
                Everyone seems to be mounting the sensor a few inches from the main board. Other than gaining the ability to aim the sensor is there another reason for doing that?
                No there is no minimum distance. It can be right on the side of the box or on a 3 foot wire. If you did go with a 3 foot wire you should definately add the small 0.1uF capacitor that Elepro shows on his probe diagram. It's not needed on a short lead because if you look at the unit or the schematic, one of the 1uF caps is connected to the power line that powers the A1302 sensor, I'm quite certain the extra capacitor (the smallest one in your bag) is for when using a long lead.

I'd recommend at least a 6" lead with the sensor bent at a 90° angle, this way you can measure pickups while they are still mounted in their host guitar, and six inches being long enough to keep the box fairly away from scratching the guitar's finish in case of a slip.

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                I want to get a case for mine before I build it.
                Anyone know of a nice case that it will fit into?
                Just look at boxes that have enough room on their inside dimensions. The gaussmeter "assembly" we are all building measures like 3-1/4"wide x 1-9/16"tall x 1" deep.

Our circuit board is slightly larger in dimensions than the LCD module due to the way they connect together and the way one single trace has to go around the top across the header.
                Last edited by RedHouse; 09-01-2009, 01:21 PM.
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

• Thanks Brad

Got mine yesterday. I'm going to be using about a 30" lead so I can leave it on the shelf above my guitar building/repair bench.

Thanks Brad

Comment

• It came today. Now for some soldering.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                      Just look at boxes that have enough room on their inside dimensions. The gaussmeter "assembly" we are all building measures like 3-1/4"wide x 1-9/16"tall x 1" deep.
                      I think I'm going with this box.

563-PBS-11327-B

The photo is wrong though. It's not wedge shaped.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

No there is no minimum distance. It can be right on the side of the box or on a 3 foot wire. If you did go with a 3 foot wire you should definately add the small 1uF capacitor that Elepro shows on his probe diagram.
                        cap is 0.1uF.....
                        short wire improve reading stability

bye
                        .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
                        .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                          It came today. Now for some soldering.
                          ^ ditto - I'll get around to this, hopefully soon.

Comment

• I have a question for anyone who has an answer....

Elepro mentioned you can use an AD22151 sensor for reading strong magnets like neodymium. I was thinking of using both sensors, either making the sensor probe swappable, or building them both in the case and using a switch to select between the two.

I just can't seem to find any AD22151s out there. Anyone know where to get one, or something compatible.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                              I have a question for anyone who has an answer....

Elepro mentioned you can use an AD22151 sensor for reading strong magnets like neodymium. I was thinking of using both sensors, either making the sensor probe swappable, or building them both in the case and using a switch to select between the two.

I just can't seem to find any AD22151s out there. Anyone know where to get one, or something compatible.

Thanks in advance!
                              Digikey is your friend, part# AD22151YRZ-ND ...they are like $5.40/ea

Be aware that there are few more supporting parts for that sensor (see data sheet)
                              -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Digikey is your friend, part# AD22151YRZ-ND ...they are like $5.40/ea
                                Thanks! I even looked there... but it was 2 am, so...

Be aware that there are few more supporting parts for that sensor (see data sheet)
                                Grumble, grumble....

[edit] Now I see I even looked at that part and thought it was the wrong one because of the SOIC case.

Comment

Working...
                                X