Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behringer DDX3216 - Trying to repair, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a manufacturer takes artificial aging rooms lightly or not at all (yes there are).

Comment

• Originally posted by S2udio View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]41175[/ATTACH] As many have asked me, and i forgot the password on the original file here is the eeprom bin files with no password
      Ok thanks a zillion!

Comment

• This happened 2 me yesterday. Exactly the same symptoms. It's an issue on the CPU board. Read the full thread here, there are some suggestions.

Comment

• Originally posted by sazema View Post
          Ok, just to inform you, I solved issue.

As we have 5 chips, 1 is unique, rest 4 chips are identical, and just one note: 4 chips are writable and programmable while 1 unique chip is writable only once and can't be programmed, it's write protected by design.
          So, friend of mine, just do programming of 4 chips and mixer started to work correctly.
          Which chips? (Numbers)

Comment

• Originally posted by Drummer1987 View Post
            Hi
            I'm new one here.....I have my ddx mixer....it's working all the time fine but one day I turn on the ddx and all led's are turn on....display dead....feders dont work....nothing....i put microphone and signal lamp are showe that are a signal input and I do not test for output signal works :/
            on picture see's problem....
            What do you think what the problem is??

Please help me some how [ATTACH=CONFIG]43811[/ATTACH]
            This happened 2 me yesterday. Exactly the same symptoms. It's an issue on the CPU board. Read the full thread here, there are some suggestions.

Comment

• Originally posted by EEngo View Post
              perhaps this is of help for someone:

after replacing the CPU my board is running again.

with 3V3 and 5V plus LCD the board boots even only with IC19, although you have to add a pot to the display to get a suitable contrast.
              If there is IC19 inserted only, you get a message on the screen with "no firmware" (or something like that) and then a loop of screen test patterns.

EEngo.
              Do you mean you replaced the CPU board or the CPU chip. If chip then how did you go about it, it's VLSI with mucroscopic legs 🤤

Comment

• Originally posted by Phoebus1966 View Post
                Do you mean you replaced the CPU board or the CPU chip. If chip then how did you go about it, it's VLSI with mucroscopic legs ��
                I replaced the CPU chip. There was/is? a an ebay store which sells exactly the chip type needed (ELAN SC300-SC). I used a hot air station to remove and a conventional soldering iron and a microscope to solder the new one. There are several videos on youtube which describe soldering such devices.

I have still one new chip left, if you want to try it

Comment

I replaced the CPU chip. There was/is? a an ebay store which sells exactly the chip type needed (ELAN SC300-SC). I used a hot air station to remove and a conventional soldering iron and a microscope to solder the new one. There are several videos on youtube which describe soldering such devices.

Thanks very much but I just closed the chapter on this nonsense mixer. Reconnected one PSU socket while on and it blew the primary coils of two transformers in the PSU. All digital supply voltages gone. Deplorable design if a PSU cannot handle this. So it's bye bye Behringer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phoebus1966 View Post
                    Thanks very much but I just closed the chapter on this nonsense mixer. Reconnected one PSU socket while on and it blew the primary coils of two transformers in the PSU. All digital supply voltages gone. Deplorable design if a PSU cannot handle this. So it's bye bye Behringer.
                    Set up the CPU board and the LCD connected to a PC psu. It's an AT/XT PC after all. Same situation so the DDX PSU did not change anything. This is good and bad knews.

The DDX PSU design is deplorable, I stay with this conviction. It should have had a fuse on the primary of its transformers. Now for some stupid reason* the primary of TR 1 and TR2 blew up. * Having CTRL01 connector plugging in while power switch is on. If you PSU design cannot handle this then your design is stupid. I wonder how many blew in the factory and the designers doing nothing. A serial fuse at all three primaries!

How much you want for that CPU if I consider risking my sanity.

Next year I'll combine several PSU modules and get rid of the DDX psu.

Comment

How much would you ask for it if I decide to risk my sanity?

Comment

• see PM

Comment

• Hi, I'm a new member here after reading this thread plus a couple more interesting thread's,

I've recently got two Behringer DDX3216 one work's perfectly now however the second developed power supply issues so i attempted to replace all the smoothing capacitors ect however when i first powered it up, it just lit up like a xmas tree and the screen just had black lines across it,
                          it appear's there's two connections exactly the same with different voltages and despite being shore i did in fact get them correct it's something to be aware of, one go's to the CPU board and after trying just the CPU board powered connected to just the screen i only get the black lines across the screen so i'm thinking it's probably damaged the CPU board as i've tested all the voltages with a DDM and apart from the 3.3v being a little low at 3v all the rest are correct (5v/+12/-12)

I'm going to try powering this board from an old PC power supply and see if it's actually still the power supply with yet more issues, or it's actually damaged the main CPU board,
                          any ideas please ??

here's a long shot but i love the DIY modification challenging process, and reusing part's from broken item's, it's how i learn the most at very little cost and possibly end up with something of use yet haven't lost a great deal if they don't,
                          with this mixer being of modular design, anyone know if it would be possible to reuse/modify the other part's of the mixer ?
                          mainly the 16 channel's worth of ADC's already setup in slave mode so requires a master clock input and required voltages with what look's like standard I2s, Mclk, Sclk, LRclk and finally serial data line for each 2 channel's of audio input,
                          same with the analog output board, with a little investigation would be a nice 8 channel DAC for something like the raspberry pi or other project,

now hear's my question ?
                          dose anyone think it's possible to trick a second DDX3216 mixer into thinking there's an expansion card fitted into one of the slot's and accepting the extra 8 I2s busses as input's plus 4 i2s output's for the 16 input/8 output ? everything is there hardware wise with digital busses ready to connect and everything however as i understand it's going to be lacking the eprom that the expansion card's have that interact with the firmware of the mixer and allow it to use the extra I2s input's/output's present on the expansion slot's, has anyone found any images of them or been able to obtain them so i could clone it allowing all 16 I2s buses to function on the expansion slot's providing 32 channel input/output,
                          would then be an easy modification of just connecting them up correctly using the service manual for direction to make it a 32 channel analog input and 16 analog output mixer for home studio use ? give me hardware, i normally run with it however all this digital logic controlled my firmware that's basically locked down is a challenge

Comment

• Hi!

unfortunately, your main CPU will be killed by using the wrong power supply cable. If I remeber correctly, with swapping the cables, you get -8V onto the 3V3 rail for the CPU. And as the -8V are used for the motor sliders, the -8V rail can deliver some current ..

So the CPU is fried, I had the same issue here and replaced the CPU (see previous posts). The DDX is now working at our rehearsal room

But, with one unit working, you could connect the Ain-Board from the faulty unit to the working one for Ch17..32.
                            Some months ago, I have been working on building my own expansion cards, so I reengineered the interface for the ADAT or TDIF cards:

The DDX uses a simple serial interface to talk to the expansion interfaces at 19.200baud, 8N2.

//DDX asks at:
                            //0x78 0xCE 0xCE 0xAF (Slot1 Ch1-8?)
                            //0x78 0xCE 0xCF 0xAF (Slot1 Ch9-16?)
                            //0x78 0xCF 0xCE 0xAF (Slot2 Ch1-8?)
                            //0x78 0xCF 0xCF 0xAF (Slot2 Ch9-16?)

a TDIF16_V01 responses with xx yy zz 02
                            a ADT16_V01 responses with xx yy zz 03

so, a ADT16 in slot one answers with: 78 CE CE 03 and 78 CE CF 03 (due to 16 Ch)

If you change Outputs at the DDX for the modules, the DDX sends:
                            //78 CE CE xx with xx 00..02
                            //78 CE CF xx with xx 00..02

If there is any interest, I can look for the arduino code I used to simulate an ADT16 or a TDIF16-Interface.
                            What I didn't test was to connect an actual I2S source to the inputs of the expansion interface, but I see no argument, that this shouldn't work. With other projects in the line, I got a little bored with the DDX3216, so I didn't continue this project so far... ;-)

Ingo.

EDIT: it is 8N2, not 8N1
                            Last edited by EEngo; 11-23-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Thank you so much, i was doubting anyone would even respond to my message let alone looked into doing a very similar modification to this mixer,

your arduino code you used to simulate an ADT16 or a TDIF16-Interface would be gratefully received as i've only just recently started to play around with one,
                              if i could simulate there being an expansion card fitted i would then check the I2s busses using one of the cheap logic analysers before going ahead and trying the Ain-Board then if successful i will cut that section from the front and build a separate enclosure for it with an umbilical cord to the rear of the mixer using some multi-core screened microphone cable i've got from an old snake

Comment

• Hi!

for a start, you could use the following code and route an I2S Signal from one of the CH1-16 to the expansion slot you are simulating.

Here is the code (not beautiful or optimised, but tested and working on an arduino mega). Something funny: if the module responds with 0x01 than it is recognized as AES_EBU, with 0x02 as TDIF, with 0x03 as ADT and with 0x00 as "GENERAL" ;-)
                                ---
                                // DDX3216 - Extension-Interface
                                // serial port0 @ 57.600baud, 8N1 (debug interface)
                                // serial port1 @ 19.200baud, 8N2 (interface to DDX)

//DDX-Interface definition:
                                //@SLOT1:
                                //DDX: 0x78, 0xCE, 0xCE,0xAF
                                //TDIF16_V01: 0x78, 0xCE, 0xCE, 0x02
                                //DDX: 0x78, 0xCE, 0xCF,0xAF
                                //TDIF16_V01: 0x78, 0xCE, 0xCF, 0x02
                                //DDX: 0x78, 0xCE, 0xCE,0x02

//@SLOT2:
                                //DDX: 0x78, 0xCF, 0xCE,0xAF
                                //TDIF16_V01: 0x78, 0xCF, 0xCE, 0x02
                                //DDX: 0x78, 0xCE, 0xCF,0xAF
                                //TDIF16_V01: 0x78, 0xCF, 0xCF, 0x02

//DDX asks at:
                                //78 CE CE AF (Slot1 Ch1-8?)
                                //78 CE CF AF (Slot1 Ch9-16?)
                                //78 CF CE AF (Slot2 Ch1-8?)
                                //78 CF CF AF (Slot2 Ch9-16?)
                                //
                                //response TDIF16_V01:
                                //xx yy zz 02

//response ADT16_V01:
                                //xx yy zz 03

//DDX changes outputs:
                                //78 CE CE xx with xx 00..02
                                //78 CE CF xx with xx 00..02

//Hardware-Definitions:
                                //#define POWERLEDPIN 13
                                //#define TRIGGERLEDPIN 11
                                #define BOARDLEDPIN 9

//**************************************
                                void setup()
                                {
                                pinMode(BOARDLEDPIN, OUTPUT);
                                digitalWrite(BOARDLEDPIN, HIGH);

Serial.begin(57600, SERIAL_8N1);
                                Serial.println("HSIH DDX-extension");

Serial2.begin(19200, SERIAL_8N2);

digitalWrite(BOARDLEDPIN, LOW);
                                }

void loop()
                                {
                                String commandString="";
                                String commandStringDDX="";
                                String Zeichen = "";

int j;
                                char buffer_tmp[3];

// if there's any serial available, read it:
                                while (Serial.available() > 0) {
                                commandString=Serial.readStringUntil("\n");
                                Serial.print("\n>"+commandString);
                                if( commandString.charAt(0)=='I' )
                                {
                                Serial.println(" (c 2018, HSIH)");
                                Serial.println("available commands:");
                                Serial.println("[I]");
                                Serial.println(" show this info");
                                }
                                }

char inData[20];
                                unsigned long timeout = millis() + 1000;
                                uint8_t inIndex = 0;
                                while ( ((int32_t)(millis() - timeout) < 0) && (inIndex < (sizeof(inData)/sizeof(inData[0])))) {
                                if (Serial2.available() > 0) {
                                // read the incoming byte:
                                inData[inIndex] = Serial2.read();
                                if ((inData[inIndex] == '\n') || (inData[inIndex] == '\r')) {
                                break;
                                }
                                Zeichen = String((unsigned byte) inData[inIndex],HEX);

Serial.println(Zeichen);
                                //Serial.write(inData[inIndex++]);

if (((unsigned byte) inData[inIndex-1]==0xCE)&& ((unsigned byte) inData[inIndex]==0xAF)){
                                Serial2.write(0x78);
                                Serial2.write(inData[inIndex-2]);
                                Serial2.write(inData[inIndex-1]);
                                Serial2.write(0x00); //GENERAL:0x00, AES_EBU: 0x01, TDIF16: 0x02, ADT16: 0x03, if only one response, recognized as TDIF8 oder ADT8

Serial.println("Slot1 1-8 init.");
                                }
                                if (((unsigned byte) inData[inIndex-1]==0xCF)&& ((unsigned byte) inData[inIndex]==0xAF)){
                                Serial2.write(0x78);
                                Serial2.write(inData[inIndex-2 ]);
                                Serial2.write(inData[inIndex-1]);
                                Serial2.write(0x00); //TDIF16: 0x02, ADT16: 0x03, if only one response, recognized as TDIF8

Serial.println("Slot1 9-16 init.");
                                }
                                inIndex++;
                                }
                                }
                                }

Comment

Working...
                                X